Handlebar Choice

Cranky Rider

Jun 6, 2011
I am in the process of building up a Rivendell Sam Hillborne to use as a City/Rando/Lite Touring bike and am hung-up on what handlebar to get.

If I were just riding in the city, I would go for an albatross. However, I am worried about sacrificing climbing position so i thought about a drop such as the Nitto Noodle. That is probably fine, but I am tired of riding drops. I have never ridden a moustache bar, but I hear they provide a wide variation in hand position and may offer the benefits of both the drop and albatross.

Any thoughts?

aside from drop bars and mountain bike style bars there are also some touring specific bars similar to a motor car steering wheel, handlebar choice is crucial for a good fit, including the stem, those two have a direct association, if you change one you might need to change the other,

Originally Posted by Cranky Rider .

I am in the process of building up a Rivendell Sam Hillborne to use as a City/Rando/Lite Touring bike and am hung-up on what handlebar to get.

If I were just riding in the city, I would go for an albatross. However, I am worried about sacrificing climbing position so i thought about a drop such as the Nitto Noodle. That is probably fine, but I am tired of riding drops. I have never ridden a moustache bar, but I hear they provide a wide variation in hand position and may offer the benefits of both the drop and albatross.

Any thoughts?
This is a real question:

• are moustache handlebars available with a larger center section size than 25.4mm?

If not, then you may want to factor the [COLOR= #ff0000]stem-[/COLOR]handlebar combination into the build.