Handlebar choice ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jean, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. Jean

    Jean Guest

    I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64 bars. I find that the slope on
    the top part of the Cinelli's makes it difficult for me to maintain a comfy hand position when
    riding "on the hoods". What I specifically want is a handlebar that has the upper part of the hooks
    nearly parallel to the lower part of the hooks.

    The LBS doesn't have anything in stock that appears to meet my needs. But some online stores carry a
    Deda 285 (which I think is just a heavier and cheaper version of the 215) that looks like it would
    come close to fitting my needs. Does anyone have this bar, and if so, is the top part of the hooks
    nearly parallel to the bottom part?

    Thanks,

    Jean

    Tags:

  2. Dianne_1234

    Dianne_1234 Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:44:19 -0500, "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64 bars. I find that the slope on
    >the top part of the Cinelli's makes it difficult for me to maintain a comfy hand position when
    >riding "on the hoods". What I specifically want is a handlebar that has the upper part of the hooks
    >nearly parallel to the lower part of the hooks.
    >
    >The LBS doesn't have anything in stock that appears to meet my needs. But some online stores carry
    >a Deda 285 (which I think is just a heavier and cheaper version of the 215) that looks like it
    >would come close to fitting my needs. Does anyone have this bar, and if so, is the top part of the
    >hooks nearly parallel to the bottom part?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Jean

    From http://www.bontrager.com/bars/detail.asp?id=36&pt=2

    "Flat-Top version has shallow drop and level transition to brake lever hoods that raises rider
    position."

    The ones I've seen appear to have exactly what you're after: parallel tops and drops.

    I think these might be those bars in side view: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/2300.jsp

  3. O Wtf

    O Wtf Guest

    "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64 bars. I find that the slope
    > on the top part of the Cinelli's makes it difficult for me to maintain a comfy hand position when
    > riding "on the hoods". What
    > specifically want is a handlebar that has the upper part of the hooks nearly parallel to the lower
    > part of the hooks.
    >
    > The LBS doesn't have anything in stock that appears to meet my needs. But some online stores carry
    > a Deda 285 (which I think is just a heavier and cheaper version of the 215) that looks like it
    > would come close to fitting my needs. Does anyone have this bar, and if so, is the top part of the
    > hooks nearly parallel to the bottom part?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jean

    Suggest you look at the Ritchey Pro. I use this bar on both my road bikes and find that the more
    acute bend at the end of the tops equates to much more comfort when riding on them, compared to bars
    with a wider curve at the end of the tops. I replaced the Deda 285 on one of my bikes with this bar
    after putting it on my other (the newer one). Comparing the two, as I just did since I still have
    the Deda bar lying around, they both have exactly the same relationship between the upper and lower
    parts of the drop - nearly parallel. HTH

    Cal

  4. "Jean" wrote:
    > I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64 bars. I find that the slope
    > on the top part of the Cinelli's makes it difficult for me to maintain a comfy hand position when
    > riding "on the hoods".

    You might try moving the brake levers a tad lower and tilting the the bars up a bit (drops slanted
    slightly downward). I've found that gives a smoother transition from the bars to the hood using the
    Cinelli 64 and Dura Ace STI levers.

    Art Harris

  5. Jean

    Jean Guest

    "WTF,O" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    | "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    ... snip
    | >What I specifically want is a handlebar that has the upper part of the hooks nearly parallel to
    | >the lower part of the hooks.

    ... snip
    | > some online stores carry a Deda 285 (which I think is just a heavier
    and
    | > cheaper version of the 215) that looks like it would come close to
    fitting
    | > my needs. Does anyone have this bar, and if so, is the top part of the hooks nearly parallel to
    | > the bottom part?
    | >
    | > Jean
    | >

    | Suggest you look at the Ritchey Pro. I use this bar on both my road
    bikes
    | and find that the more acute bend at the end of the tops equates to much more comfort when riding
    | on them, compared to bars with a wider curve at
    the
    | end of the tops. I replaced the Deda 285 on one of my bikes with this
    bar
    | after putting it on my other (the newer one). Comparing the two, as I
    just
    | did since I still have the Deda bar lying around, they both have exactly
    the
    | same relationship between the upper and lower parts of the drop - nearly parallel. HTH
    |
    | Cal

    Thanks for the info. Which Ritcheys Pro bar are you referring to - the "Pro Road Bar" or the
    "Pro BioMax"?

    Jean

  6. Jean

    Jean Guest

    "dianne_1234" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:t0be10l[email protected]...
    | On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 19:44:19 -0500, "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote:
    ... snip
    |>What I
    | >specifically want is a handlebar that has the upper part of the hooks nearly parallel to the
    | >lower part of the hooks.

    ... snip
    | >some online stores carry a Deda 285 (which I think is just a heavier and cheaper version of the
    | >215) that looks like it would come close to
    fitting
    | >my needs. Does anyone have this bar, and if so, is the top part of the hooks nearly parallel to
    | >the bottom part?
    | >
    | >Jean
    |
    | From http://www.bontrager.com/bars/detail.asp?id=36&pt=2
    |
    | "Flat-Top version has shallow drop and level transition to brake lever hoods that raises rider
    | position."
    |
    | The ones I've seen appear to have exactly what you're after: parallel tops and drops.
    |
    | I think these might be those bars in side view: http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2004/road/2300.jsp

    Thanks for the info. I tried to go to the Trek site to look at the bars, but their server must be
    down. From the specs at the Bontrager site, it appears that the "flat top" models have a rather long
    reach of 98mm (versus a more typical 80 to 82mm reach). I suppose that this longer reach is meant to
    compensate for the hoods being higher, but it seems like a stretch for me...

    Jean

  7. jean-<< I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64 bars. >><BR><BR>

    Look at Ritchey WCS traditional bend. I have these, switched from Cinelli 64/42 and find they feel
    almost identical.

  8. Chris Dorn

    Chris Dorn Guest

    If your looking for some biomax pro bars I have some i just took off of my bike in good condition,
    Ill make you a good deal. Chris

  9. O Wtf

    O Wtf Guest

    "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "WTF,O" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > |
    > | "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > ... snip
    > | >What I specifically want is a handlebar that has the upper part of the hooks nearly parallel to
    > | >the lower part of the hooks.
    > | >
    > ... snip
    > | > some online stores carry a Deda 285 (which I think is just a heavier
    > and
    > | > cheaper version of the 215) that looks like it would come close to
    > fitting
    > | > my needs. Does anyone have this bar, and if so, is the top part of the hooks nearly parallel
    > | > to the bottom part?
    > | >
    > | > Jean
    > | >

    > | Suggest you look at the Ritchey Pro. I use this bar on both my road
    > bikes
    > | and find that the more acute bend at the end of the tops equates to much more comfort when
    > | riding on them, compared to bars with a wider curve at
    > the
    > | end of the tops. I replaced the Deda 285 on one of my bikes with this
    > bar
    > | after putting it on my other (the newer one). Comparing the two, as I
    > just
    > | did since I still have the Deda bar lying around, they both have exactly
    > the
    > | same relationship between the upper and lower parts of the drop - nearly parallel. HTH
    > |
    > | Cal
    > |

    > Thanks for the info. Which Ritcheys Pro bar are you referring to - the
    "Pro
    > Road Bar" or the "Pro BioMax"?
    >
    > Jean

    The Pro Road bar.

    -Cal

  10. Mann

    Mann Guest

    The Ritchey website says those bars weigh 210 grams. That's kinda light. How often (miles) should
    they be replaced to avoid unexpected failure?

    Mann

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    m19.aol.com...
    > jean-<< I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia
    64
    > bars. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Look at Ritchey WCS traditional bend. I have these, switched from Cinelli
    64/42
    > and find they feel almost identical.

  11. Jean

    Jean Guest

    "Arthur Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:D[email protected]...

    | "Jean" wrote:
    | > I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia 64
    bars.
    | > I find that the slope on the top part of the Cinelli's makes it
    difficult
    | > for me to maintain a comfy hand position when riding "on the hoods".
    |
    | You might try moving the brake levers a tad lower and tilting the the
    bars
    | up a bit (drops slanted slightly downward). I've found that gives a
    smoother
    | transition from the bars to the hood using the Cinelli 64 and Dura Ace
    STI
    | levers.
    |
    | Art Harris

    Art, I've already done that and it helped somewhat. Basically I have the downward angle on the upper
    part equal to the upward angle on the bottom part. If I tilt the bars upward anymore, I can't reach
    the brake levers from the drops unless I scrunch my hand in a very very uncomfortable way in the
    curved part of the hooks. {I've even tried fastening a platform (a shaped piece of cut PVC pipe) to
    the upper part in order to lessen the slope. This kinda worked, but it looked like crap and I never
    could get the platform to transition well at the rubber hood.} I think the "dive" on the top section
    of the Cinelli's is just too much for me.

    Jean

  12. Jean

    Jean Guest

    | jean-<< I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia
    64
    | bars. >><BR><BR>
    |
    | Look at Ritchey WCS traditional bend. I have these, switched from Cinelli
    64/42
    | and find they feel almost identical.
    |
    | Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    | (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Identical is not what I want ...I want bars that don't slope down as much in the "reach section"
    (ie, the portion leading to the hoods).

    Jean

  13. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m19.aol.com...
    > | jean-<< I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro d'Italia
    > 64
    > | bars. >><BR><BR>
    > |
    > | Look at Ritchey WCS traditional bend. I have these, switched from Cinelli
    > 64/42
    > | and find they feel almost identical.
    > |
    > | Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    > | (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
    >
    > Identical is not what I want ...I want bars that don't slope down as much in the "reach section"
    > (ie, the portion leading to the hoods).

    Take alook at either of these:

    Nitto model 177: http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16111.html

    Nitto model 176: http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16081.html

  14. Jean

    Jean Guest

    "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "Jean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | > "Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    | > m19.aol.com...
    | > | jean-<< I'm looking for some new bars to replace my Cinelli Giro
    d'Italia
    | > 64
    | > | bars. >><BR><BR>
    | > |
    | > | Look at Ritchey WCS traditional bend. I have these, switched from
    Cinelli
    | > 64/42
    | > | and find they feel almost identical.
    | > |
    | > | Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    | > | (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"
    | >
    | > Identical is not what I want ...I want bars that don't slope down as
    much
    | > in the "reach section" (ie, the portion leading to the hoods).
    | >
    | Take alook at either of these:
    |
    | Nitto model 177: http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16111.html
    |
    | Nitto model 176: http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16081.html

    The last one you mentioned looks promising - thanks for posting that.

    Jean

  15. Jean <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"bfd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>"Jean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>Identical is not what I want ...I want bars that don't slope down as>much in the "reach section"
    >>>(ie, the portion leading to the hoods).
    >>Take alook at either of these: Nitto model 177:
    >>http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16111.html Nitto model 176:
    >>http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16081.html
    >The last one you mentioned looks promising - thanks for posting that.

    The Nitto 176 "Dream" does not have an exceptionally shallow ramp; the 177 "Noodle" does. I use
    Noodle bars (having discovered I like a shallow ramp when my stem fastener bolt loosened :) and
    find them very pleasant.

  16. Robert Canon

    Robert Canon Guest

    Ditto on the 177 "Noodle" bar.

  17. Rosco

    Rosco Guest

    "Robert Canon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ditto on the 177 "Noodle" bar.

    Is there anything like the 177, but with cable grooves? For whatever reason, Nitto doesn't seem to
    believe in the grooves.

  18. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    rosco wrote:
    > Is there anything like the 177, but with cable grooves? For whatever reason, Nitto doesn't seem to
    > believe in the grooves.

    Which, knowing Nitto, makes perfect sense. Does it matter to you? It isn't a big deal to tape the
    cables down with packing tape before you wrap the bars.