Handlebar creak

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark Enderby, May 8, 2003.

  1. Mark Enderby

    Mark Enderby Guest

    I have alloy handlebars which creak under stress. I've tightened the stem bolts as far as I dare. Is
    this just something you put up with ?

    --
    Cheers, Mark Enderby

    Tags:

  2. Smudger

    Smudger Guest

    "Mark Enderby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have alloy handlebars which creak under stress. I've tightened the stem bolts as far as I dare.
    > Is this just something you put up with ?
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Mark Enderby

    Might be worth just replacing them if they're not expensive ones. A creak could be a crack or
    weakness. Take a close look at the bar for scratches and/or cracks, especially around the stem area.
    Believe me, you don't want your bars to break when you're on the road.

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Thu, 8 May 2003 11:11:13 +0100, "Mark Enderby"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have alloy handlebars which creak under stress. I've tightened the stem bolts as far as I dare.
    >Is this just something you put up with ?

    I put up with that right up to the moment when the bars snapped...

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  4. Adam Dugmore

    Adam Dugmore Guest

    "Mark Enderby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have alloy handlebars which creak under stress. I've tightened the stem bolts as far as I dare.
    > Is this just something you put up with ?

    More often than not, the creak is just some crud stuck between the stem and bar.

    Strip it down, clean it thoroughly and put a smear of grease on the mating surfaces before
    reassemling.

    --
    Adam Dugmore

    Kona Explosif Honda CB500R - easier uphill

  5. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 8 May 2003 11:11:13 +0100, "Mark Enderby"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I have alloy handlebars which creak under stress. I've tightened the stem bolts as far as I dare.
    > >Is this just something you put up with ?

    Remove bars, clean and retry.

    Remove bars, lightly grease and retry.

    Remove bars, refit and retry.

    Any other combination you can think of

    It doesn't necessarily mean there is a problem with your bars, but it could
    do. My bars never creaked until I fitted a new stem, then they did. I went through some of the am.
    procedures and now I'm quiet.

    --
    Mark

  6. Mark Enderby

    Mark Enderby Guest

    I forgot to say that this is a new bike. I checked the bolts with the dealer yesterday but it still
    does it. There's no sign of damage/fractures or dirt

    --
    Cheers, Mark Enderby

    "Adam Dugmore" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Mark Enderby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I have alloy handlebars which creak under stress. I've tightened the
    stem
    > > bolts as far as I dare. Is this just something you put up with ?
    > >

    > More often than not, the creak is just some crud stuck between the stem
    and
    > bar.
    >
    > Strip it down, clean it thoroughly and put a smear of grease on the mating surfaces before
    > reassemling.
    >
    > --
    > Adam Dugmore
    >
    > Kona Explosif Honda CB500R - easier uphill

  7. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Mark Enderby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I forgot to say that this is a new bike. I checked the bolts with the
    dealer
    > yesterday but it still does it. There's no sign of damage/fractures or
    dirt

    Still remove it and clean it, remove it and grease it...<fade to end>. You'll be surprised.

    --
    Mark

  8. David Nutter

    David Nutter Guest

    MSA <[email protected]> said:

    > Mark Enderby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> I forgot to say that this is a new bike. I checked the bolts with the
    > dealer
    >> yesterday but it still does it. There's no sign of damage/fractures or
    > dirt
    >

    > Still remove it and clean it, remove it and grease it...<fade to end>. You'll be surprised.

    One other thing to check might be the brake levers, if they are drop bar types secured by a
    jubilee-clip type thing. One of mine became a little loose and would squeak a bit if I rode hard up
    hills while holding onto the hoods.

    Regards,

    -david

  9. Mark Enderby

    Mark Enderby Guest

    ... and it worked !

    --
    Cheers, Mark Enderby

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Mark Enderby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I forgot to say that this is a new bike. I checked the bolts with the
    > dealer
    > > yesterday but it still does it. There's no sign of damage/fractures or
    > dirt
    >

    > Still remove it and clean it, remove it and grease it...<fade to end>. You'll be surprised.
    >

    > --
    > Mark

  10. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Mark Enderby <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > ... and it worked !
    >

    > --
    > Cheers, Mark Enderby

    Excellent...enjoy your creak-free riding!

    Mark