Handlebar Diameter

mark444

Feb 17, 2008
When I visit bike shops I see many bikes with the larger 32m diameter handlebars. They seem very comfortable and I was thinking of upgrading. However, I see many riders still prefer the narrower versions.

Besides changing stems are there any other considerations besides the minor wieght difference? Do the wider bars have any advantages?

Thanks very much, Mark.

mark444 said:
When I visit bike shops I see many bikes with the larger 32m diameter handlebars. They seem very comfortable and I was thinking of upgrading. However, I see many riders still prefer the narrower versions.

Besides changing stems are there any other considerations besides the minor wieght difference? Do the wider bars have any advantages?

Thanks very much, Mark.

Small 'advantage' of having it be a wee stiffer but a wee bit lighter. Older clamps for things like computers or lights may not fit. Altho another 'standard' in bicycles with few standards, at least the latest batch of MTB handlebars are also 31.8mm..so fewer 'MTB' stems and 'road' stems. In actual performance, little to no difference.

mark444 said:

There does seem to have been a trend away from "traditional" handelbar fitting where the distance between armpits might now be considered a narrow choice.

You may not notice the difference, but theoretically wider bars will allow your chest to be less constricted by your arms, so breathing (particularly, when going uphill!) will be easier.

On the other hand, you would probably notice the difference if you were to go from a 42cm bar to a 38cm bar.

Since narrower bars allow you to be more aerodynamic, wider bars will generally cause you to be less aerodynamic. Will that matter to you?

Depending on where you store your bike, a wider bar MAY actually become an issue; but, probably not.

The first time you try wider bars, you may feel as though they are too wide ... they probably won't be.

ONE reason to consider wider bars may have more to do with the width of the bars where the brake levers are mounted since the bend on many contemporary bars is narrower than the c-c measurement of the ends of older (I mean "vintage" older) bars like the classic Cinelli Giro 64 -- a 40mm Cinelli Giro bar is 40mm where you would mount the brake levers, but many current 40mm handelbars would only be about 38mm wide in the brake lever region of the handlebar.

Another reason to switch to wider bars is if you also ride a MTB and have wideset (close to uncut length) bars, and like the way the wider MTB bars feel (measure the distance BETWEEN the grips and/or where you prefer to place your hands, and subtract about an inch for a center-to-center approximation of what you might find comfortable). If you don't have a MTB, you could grab a broom handle with both hands, arms almost straight -- or, simply hold both hands in front of yourself with your fists closed -- to see what width is un-/comfortable for you.

As far as the 31.8/OS center section, there can be some mechanical advantages depending on the material, but (as noted) it is mostly cosmetic for most riders.

BTW. On the bars I have which have OS center sections, I ended up mounting the computer's clamp (for example) beyond the OS portion where the diameter is "normal" & begin the handlebar tape after mounting the clamp.

Just as the curve of the lower portion of the bar varies from handlebar model to model, the width of the OS section varies from one bar model to another, so you may want to use an OS clamp for accessories.

Thanks very much for the thoughtful replys. I agree the wider (horinontal) bars help me as I am a large rider.