handlebar height adjustment?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Old Fart At Pla, May 21, 2004.

  1. As a born-again cyclist I find that things are rather
    different than when I was a lad.

    Is the bar height adjustable on my new Coppi Gavia? The thigh-
    belly interaction is rather limiting!

    In the old days I would undo the bolt and hit it with a big
    hammer to loosen the plug. I rather suspect that something
    might break if I tried that method today.

    --
    Roger.

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Old Fart at Play wrote:

    > Is the bar height adjustable on my new Coppi Gavia? The
    > thigh-belly interaction is rather limiting!

    With the "ahead" or threadless system, you can put the stem
    up if it is already below the top of the fork steerer tube,
    or the stem can be refitted upside down if you'd prefer the
    alternative angle. Otherwise you'll have to change the stem
    for one with more rise angle (or get new forks!).

    This info should make it all clearer:
    www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml

    ~PB

  3. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Old Fart at Play wrote:
    >
    > > Is the bar height adjustable on my new Coppi Gavia? The
    > > thigh-belly interaction is rather limiting!
    >
    > With the "ahead" or threadless system, you can put the
    > stem up if it is already below the top of the fork steerer
    > tube, or the stem can be refitted upside down if you'd
    > prefer the alternative angle. Otherwise you'll have to
    > change the stem for one with more rise angle (or get new
    > forks!).
    >
    > This info should make it all clearer:
    > www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml

    Thanks. It should be easy enough to invert the stem to get
    an extra couple of inches. I can't see any benefits over the
    traditional system though, apart from cheaper manufacturing.

    --
    Roger.

  4. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Old Fart at Play wrote:
    >
    > > Is the bar height adjustable on my new Coppi Gavia? The
    > > thigh-belly interaction is rather limiting!
    >
    > With the "ahead" or threadless system, you can put the
    > stem up if it is already below the top of the fork steerer
    > tube, or the stem can be refitted upside down if you'd
    > prefer the alternative angle. Otherwise you'll have to
    > change the stem for one with more rise angle (or get new
    > forks!).
    >
    > This info should make it all clearer:
    > www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_headthreadless.shtml

    Thanks. It should be easy enough to invert the stem to get
    an extra couple of inches. I can't see any benefits over the
    traditional system though, apart from cheaper manufacturing.

    --
    Roger.

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Old Fart at Play wrote:
    > It should be easy enough to invert the stem to get an
    > extra couple of inches.

    I forgot to mention the extension adapters like this:
    http://www.sjscycles.com/store/vIndex.htm?item3780.htm

    > I can't see any benefits over the traditional system
    > though, apart from cheaper manufacturing.

    That is the main one. Also: headset is easier to adjust,
    with no need for special/large spanner; the whole thing is
    supposed to be lighter and stiffer; easier to choose and fit
    replacement forks as you don't have worry about steerer
    length and amount of thread in advance, just cut to size.

    ~PB

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest