Handlebar help

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Telewanker, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Telewanker

    Telewanker Guest

    How do drop bars come off of a road bike? The stem doesn't have a removable face like my mtb- only
    one bolt pinches the stem shut on the drop bars. Do the drop bars come apart and slide out some how?
    Thanks for any help. TW

    Tags:

  2. "Telewanker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do drop bars come off of a road bike? The stem doesn't have a
    removable
    > face like my mtb- only one bolt pinches the stem shut on the drop bars. Do the drop bars come
    > apart and slide out some how? Thanks for any help. TW

    One side of the handlebar has to be 'stripped', tape removed, levers removed, then the bar is taken
    out of the stem. Have new bar tape at the handy as sometimes the old tape will tear or self-destruct
    as it is removed. Now would be a good time to think about a new stem, with a removable faceplate.
    Saves lots of aggravation, not to say the price of a box of bar tape.

  3. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Telewanker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > How do drop bars come off of a road bike? The stem doesn't have a
    > removable
    > > face like my mtb- only one bolt pinches the stem shut on the drop bars. Do the drop bars come
    > > apart and slide out some how? Thanks for any help. TW
    > >
    > One side of the handlebar has to be 'stripped', tape removed, levers removed, then the bar is
    > taken out of the stem. Have new bar tape at the handy as sometimes the old tape will tear or
    > self-destruct as it is
    removed.
    > Now would be a good time to think about a new stem, with a removable faceplate. Saves lots of
    > aggravation, not to say the price of a box of bar tape.

    Or, if you've found a new stem (assuming you're changing stems in the first place), and don't have
    any real attachment to the old one, you could very carefully hacksaw a line on the top-back,
    opposite the screw, halfway through the metal or so. Then spread the front apart (a coin in there
    and screw the screw back works, from the opposite side if necessary) until it bends or breaks. yeah,
    it'll destroy the stem, but you won't have to remove anything from the bar, and as long as you've
    got a replaceable face on the new one, then you're good to go.

    Jon Bond

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Telewanker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > How do drop bars come off of a road bike? The stem doesn't have a
    removable
    > face like my mtb- only one bolt pinches the stem shut on the drop bars. Do the drop bars come
    > apart and slide out some how?

    To change a road handlebar: Untape the bars and remove the levers. Unscrew the stem bolt - the one
    you look down on while riding - a few turns. If the stem is wedged, it will lift right out. If not,
    tap the stem bolt to release the cone inside and then lift out the stem.

    Now loosen and then remove the binder bolt which holds the handlebar in the stem. Prise the stem
    open slightly so you can slide the stem off the bar without scratching the handelbar. Note that
    clamo area of the stem has one side which is narrower. Keep that part to the inside of the curve and
    slip the stem off the end of the bar.

    Although you'd think you could remove the bar while the stem is in the bike, there suddenly isn't
    much room as you twist the handlebar around and the paint in the head tube often suffers for that.

    Do lubricate all the fasteners on installation. Before you ride, stand in front of the bike and put
    your full weight on the levers. If the levers or bar move you will be happy to know that before
    you're on the bike.

  5. Pete-<< How do drop bars come off of a road bike? The stem doesn't have a removable face like my
    mtb- only one bolt pinches the stem shut on the drop bars. Do the drop bars come apart and slide
    out some how?

    This speaks volumes about where the industry is goin'...

  6. On 02 Jun 2003 12:30:13 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

    >Pete-<< How do drop bars come off of a road bike? The stem doesn't have a removable face like my
    >mtb- only one bolt pinches the stem shut on the drop bars. Do the drop bars come apart and slide
    >out some how?
    >
    >This speaks volumes about where the industry is goin'...

    Specially when the guy asking the question gives his name as "telewanker".

    Jasper

  7. Paul Westall

    Paul Westall Guest

    > Pete-<< How do drop bars come off of a road bike? The stem doesn't have a removable face like my
    > mtb- only one bolt pinches the stem shut on the drop bars. Do the drop bars come apart and slide
    > out some how?
    >
    > This speaks volumes about where the industry is goin'...

    Hadn't been on a bike in many years, since I was a kid actually. Bought a mtb about 5 years ago, had
    the removable face on the stem. Two years ago, bought road tandem, same setup. I recently acquired
    an old Bianchi (not a very good deal it turns out) with a quill stem. It looks nicer than the stem
    on the tandem, but what a pain to remove the handlebars! Removable face plate may not be quite as
    much an improvement as STI/Ergo shifters, but still seems like a big improvement to me. The stem on
    it looks nicer than a mtb type stem, but is there really any advantage to this older type? Paul

  8. Andymorris

    Andymorris Guest

    Paul Westall wrote:

    > Hadn't been on a bike in many years, since I was a kid actually. Bought a mtb about 5 years ago,
    > had the removable face on the stem. Two years ago, bought road tandem, same setup. I recently
    > acquired an old Bianchi (not a very good deal it turns out) with a quill stem. It looks nicer than
    > the stem on the tandem, but what a pain to remove the handlebars! Removable face plate may not be
    > quite as much an improvement as STI/Ergo shifters, but still seems like a big improvement to me.
    > The stem on it looks nicer than a mtb type stem, but is there really any advantage to this older
    > type? Paul

    The modern threadless stems with a face plate are very practical, probably stronger as well.

    The old Cinelli (Record?) stems were a work of art. Compleatly hidden clamping mechanism, totally
    smoth profile.

    They were also nice to ride with as you could grasp the handlebar in the

    http://www.campyonly.com/images/retrobikes/bianchi_super/bianchi3.jpg

    It makes my the TTT 'the stem' i have on my bike look like a tractor part.

    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5110000392

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

  9. Do you mean removing the bars from the stem? You have to remove everything from the bars on at least
    one side of the stem, then loosen the single bolt, usually under the bars on the front of the stem,
    and slide it around and off.

    That's why I got a road stem with a removable face!

  10. "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > The modern threadless stems with a face plate are very practical,
    probably
    > stronger as well.
    >
    > The old Cinelli (Record?) stems were a work of art. Compleatly
    hidden
    > clamping mechanism, totally smoth profile.

    I had one of those (model 1R) and it was definitely not as good as more basic stems like the 1A. But
    stems with removable face plates top them all for convenience. They're an real improvement.

    JT

    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit http://www.jt10000.com

  11. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    TTT Mutant (removeable faceplate) ain't all bad.

    App