Handlebar help

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Anonymous, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Hello,

    I've finally gotten round to getting myself back on two wheels.

    I bought a moutain bike, but after a week's use, I find that the handlebars aren't very comfortable.
    They are too low for me and causing me pain in my hands. I think that if the bar ends were 1.5"
    higher (pointing towards me), they would be a lot more comfortable. The part where my thumb and
    forefinger rest appears to be okay.

    Should I be looking for new handlebars? Or a new hanblebarclamp? I'm a little concerened about
    making my bike look/feel like a Raliegh Chopper with ape hanger handle bars?

    Thanks

    spog

    Tags:

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > I bought a moutain bike, but after a week's use, I find that the handlebars aren't very
    > comfortable. They are too low for me and causing me pain in my hands. I think that if the bar ends
    > were 1.5" higher (pointing towards me), they would be a lot more comfortable. The part where my
    > thumb and forefinger rest appears to be okay.

    If the bars are flat you coluld fit "riser" bars available with 1.5" or 2" of rise.

    Pete

  3. Iarocu

    Iarocu Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > I bought a moutain bike, but after a week's use, I find that the handlebars aren't very
    > > comfortable. They are too low for me and causing me pain in my hands. I think that if the bar
    > > ends were 1.5" higher (pointing towards me), they would be a lot more comfortable. The part
    > > where my thumb and forefinger rest appears to be okay.
    >
    > If the bars are flat you coluld fit "riser" bars available with 1.5" or 2" of rise.
    >

    > Pete

    Or if riser bars are already fitted get a "ZOOM" heads up adjuster. It extends the riser (ahead
    type) by 2". Iain C

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    spog wrote:
    > I bought a moutain bike, but after a week's use, I find that the handlebars aren't very
    > comfortable. They are too low for me and causing me pain in my hands. I think that if the bar ends
    > were 1.5" higher (pointing towards me), they would be a lot more comfortable. The part where my
    > thumb and forefinger rest appears to be okay.
    >
    > Should I be looking for new handlebars? Or a new hanblebarclamp? I'm a little concerened about
    > making my bike look/feel like a Raliegh Chopper with ape hanger handle bars?

    Look into changing the handlebar stem (consult a *good* bike shop). You might be able to fit one
    with less extension and more rise to bring the existing bars nearer and higher. Narrower bars might
    also help.

    ~PB

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    news:[email protected]...

    > I'm a little concerened about making my bike look/feel like a Raliegh Chopper with ape hanger
    > handle bars?

    And rightly so :)

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  6. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    On 25 Jun 2003 05:05:16 -0700, [email protected] (iarocu) wrote:

    >"Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    >> > I bought a moutain bike, but after a week's use, I find that the handlebars aren't very
    >> > comfortable. They are too low for me and causing me pain in my hands. I think that if the bar
    >> > ends were 1.5" higher (pointing towards me), they would be a lot more comfortable. The part
    >> > where my thumb and forefinger rest appears to be okay.
    >>
    >> If the bars are flat you coluld fit "riser" bars available with 1.5" or 2" of rise.
    >>

    >> Pete
    >
    >Or if riser bars are already fitted get a "ZOOM" heads up adjuster. It extends the riser (ahead
    >type) by 2". Iain C

    Should have said.... I already have 1" risers (Club Roost Sport 652 ) They are quite wide (about
    690mm) as the guy in the shop recommended wide bars due to my build.

    Can I have a link to a picture of the heads up adjustor? (or a description of how the heck
    it works!)

    Guess a trip to the bike shop is in order as my palms are quite painful

    Thanks guys n gals

    spog

  7. > Should have said.... I already have 1" risers (Club Roost Sport 652 ) They are quite wide (about
    > 690mm) as the guy in the shop recommended wide bars due to my build.

    Even with an obviously "robust" build 690 mm. seems awfully wide to me. Try riding with you hands a
    little closer together for a few miles and feel is this brings any relief. If it does, cutting off
    the handlebar is one of the easiest (and cheapest) ways of improving the fit.

    Something like this: http://www.zoomhl.com/products/quick_comfort.htm

    > Guess a trip to the bike shop is in order as my palms are quite painful

    Zoom also make wonderful 15-degree handlebars. That means, the ends are swept 15 degrees
    towards you.

    --
    Regards, Marten

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

  9. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    >They are quite wide (about 690mm) as the guy in the shop recommended wide bars due to my build.

    Spog

    The guy in the shop dosn't have to ride your bike. Assuming you haven't owned the bike for too long
    ask him to fit some more suitable bars. After all, it was the shop staff that recommended
    unsuitable ones.

    James

  10. > I'm a little concerened about making my bike look/feel like a Raliegh Chopper with ape hanger
    > handle bars?

    Ape hanger handlebars? Are they made by a factory in Hartlepool? ;-) Erm, I'll get me coat....

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Just another thought before resorting to new stem/bars:

    Try *lowering* bars if possible. Might seem opposite to what's required but has worked for me a few
    times (releived hand ache). Nothing to loose except a few minutes of experimentation.

    ~PB

  12. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jun 2003 00:07:06 +0200, Marten Hoffmann <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Should have said.... I already have 1" risers (Club Roost Sport 652 ) They are quite wide (about
    >> 690mm) as the guy in the shop recommended wide bars due to my build.
    >
    >Even with an obviously "robust" build 690 mm. seems awfully wide to me. Try riding with you hands a
    >little closer together for a few miles and feel is this brings any relief. If it does, cutting off
    >the handlebar is one of the easiest (and cheapest) ways of improving the fit.

    Though the other answers were very helpful (thank you), this one went 'ping!' as it used the magic
    word 'cheapest' (my credit card needs a rest).

    I gave this a try, I took off the grips and pulled the levers in by 1" on each side. I managed to
    ride for nearly an hour without pain in my hands so this may be the answer. (Oh course, it may just
    be a change in position)

    It still feels like it would be comfier if the bars were swept up a little, but at least I can ride.
    The various replacement bars look

    probably costs more than the bike!)

    Dropping them intrigues me, I might take my allen keys on my next ride.

    Thanks again for all the help guys n gals. This is a very knowledgable and helpful group. Well done,
    have a biscuit and a gold star

    spog