Handlebar HR monitor mount

Ashley3

Feb 10, 2004
My heart rate monitor came with a simple black rubber mount that allowed me to relocate the monitor from my wrist to my handlebar while riding. A very simple, helpful item which I use all the time. A bunch of other guys recently have noticed it and asked where they could get one. A while back I noticed, in passing, that they were offered in some catalog which I subsequently tossed out. It seemed an easy thing to find, but none of the bike shops I frequent have them and I can't seem to find them anywhere on the internet. (There are adds for a different type of handlebar mount, but I'm looking for a simple black rubber one that snaps on and is held tight by the watch band.) Can anyone point me to a website that offers them? Thanks.

Alternatively get a bit of insulation tube from a plumber. Works a treat and is free.

I have used insulation foam for doors that you can get at any hardware store for some time now.

Don´t Sigma Sport offer these as an accessary ? that´s how I got another for my other bike - could be cheaper but most shops here have them in stock .

Yes, I thought every bike store would have them, but I've not found one at any shop so far, and most clerks have asked what the heck I'm talking about!

Originally posted by Ashley3
My heart rate monitor came with a simple black rubber mount that allowed me to relocate the monitor from my wrist to my handlebar while riding. A very simple, helpful item which I use all the time.

Why do you need a heart rate monitor :confused:

Are they really useful for training, or is it just good to know that you are still ticking regular like? I'm curious because quite a few people I know either have them or want to get one.

I was skeptical once upon a time, and there are literally thousands of people on cyclingforums who are much more qualified than I to explain the value of a monitor (and probably just as many who will argue that you don't really need one). Both arguments have merit, but while you don't really need one they are very helpful in getting the greatest possible value out of the time you have to invest in exercise.
I've read about them in several different books, none of which I have at work and none which I should try to quote from memory. If the volume of smart explanations that I expect will be posted here does not materialize, then I will review the books and post again.
Basically, however, by knowing target heart-rate window for a person of your particular age, and exercising within it, you can get the most out of your training.

Okay, I can see how it would be good to know the upper limit of the average guy in your age group and how that might help you train nearer your peak.

It's not a serious worry, but I've heard that heart rate monitors can bugger up your wireless cycle computer?

Plus, with lights, computers and heart rate monitors all bar mounted, it would be like riding around with a small bit of NASA strapped to your handlebars :eek:

McBain-
do a search on heart rate training or HRMs and you'll find some good explanations of how an HRM can help with training.

An abbreviated version: perceived level of exertion, without the benefit of an HRM, is pretty unreliable. Unless you know your body extremely well and have somehow calibrated your level of exertion with certain training zones before, how do you KNOW what level of exertion you're actually training at without an objective reference point?

Originally posted by Allen H
McBain-
do a search on heart rate training or HRMs and you'll find some good explanations of how an HRM can help with training.
Unless you know your body extremely well and have somehow calibrated your level of exertion with certain training zones before, how do you KNOW what level of exertion you're actually training at without an objective reference point?

^
That makes sense. I had always pictured them as something only the elite cyclists needed to use, but anything that safely gets you fitter should be a boon. I bet they are expensive though.

A simple one runs less than $100 bucks and does most everything I could imagine to want it to.

Originally posted by Ashley3
A simple one runs less than $100 bucks and does most everything I could imagine to want it to.

This sounds like it might be something worth investigating. I will look into them - thank you everyone :)

When I first started cycling again after my illness I had lost my old HRM so I bought a new one, considering that my budget is limited I bought the cheapest Polar on the market $49.99us. It does nothing but record your heart rate and time with an average at the finish of your workout.:D