Handlebar Idea Question

fluxusmaximus

Guest
Before I go out and actually do it (and screw up), I'm vetting my idea
through you learned people.

I need a handlebar and I've an idea to get one welded thus. I'm gonna
get a 2nd hand bike stem, get the 'handlebar clamp' part sawed off and
weld a Y shaped extension to it.

Question is - a) would it hold b) any flaws to my idea?

Opinions much appreciated.

--
fluxusmaximus

Which bit are you clamping onto the frame?

If it's the handlebar clamp, then you need to be sure your seatpost is
25.4mm. If it's the steerer, then either 25.4 or 28.6mm (I dunno, maybe
you could shim a 27.2mm post like on the KH into the bigger size)

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Although if your seat post is 22.2mm you can use a bar end on the seat
post and weld an extension handlebar to this. I ran this setup for a
couple of years before cutting it down to hold my bar end lever (as a
brake lever), like Joe I've stopped using handlebars.

Keith

--
keg

Kington99: Because it'd then make my handlebar crooked. I've thought of
making a U-shaped bar extending from the stem but I think it'd be too
wide at its minimum and my legs will be rubbed raw... any suggestions
mod it any other way?

Joe: I'm using the clamp that would usually go on a bike's headset (no
idea what it's called). I've no idea how wide stems are - I guess I'll
have to ask.

Keith: How do I do that? I'm going for welding an extension to a stem
because it's hollow and the overlapped part would be stronger (am I
right?). Also, the clamp portion looks more likely to hold. If a bar
end holds just as well, I'm keen too. Do you have a pic?

--
fluxusmaximus

fluxusmaximus wrote:

> Joe: I'm using the clamp that would usually go on a bike's headset (no
> idea what it's called). I've no idea how wide stems are

Stems are 1" / 25.4mm or 1+1/4"/ 31.8mm depending on what you got it
off. If it's a cheap bike stem, it'll probably be 1" / 25.4mm

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44

Most modern MTB stems are 1-1/8, very few 1-1/4 (old yetis used to use
this size but is rare at least in the USA)

There is some good info here:
http://www.bonthronebikes.co.uk/help/bike-stems

Eddie

--