Handlebar mounted radio?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by KoperniK, Mar 15, 2006.

  1. KoperniK

    KoperniK Guest

    Hi cycle ppl :)

    Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the moment
    I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with masking tape which
    splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM Radio that I can mount on
    the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated :)

    While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight to be
    pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for us
    strapping rugby lads?

    Thanks :>

    Jon

    Tags:

  2. > Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    > moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    > masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    > Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated
    > :)

    No link, but suggest either:

    Headphones and pocket radio (you can use the volume control if you want to
    hear the traffic)

    Gaffer tape. It's bomb proof.

    > While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight
    > to be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for
    > us strapping rugby lads?

    If you've just started cycling the arse can ache a little. Often tho, it's
    the squishy bits in the perineum (particularly if you've got low handlebars
    and need to lean forwards). A soft saddle will put more pressure on the
    squishy bits and less on your 'sit bones'.

    You want your weight to be taken by your 'sit bones'. Prod your butt
    cheeks and you'll feel two boney bits. A firm saddle of the right width
    will let these bones take your weight. If you're taking some weight on the
    perineum a cutout bit in the middle of the saddle should solve the problem.

    Any bike shop that sells Specialized saddle will have a measuring wossname
    -basically just a gel filled pad that you sit on - that'll tell you which
    saddles will fit.

  3. Pun Krocker

    Pun Krocker Guest

    On 15/03/2006 at 23:10:40 KoperniK wrote:

    > Hi cycle ppl :)
    >
    > Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    > moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    > masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    > Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions
    > appreciated :)
    >
    > While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of
    > weight to be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out
    > there for us strapping rugby lads?
    >
    > Thanks :>
    >
    > Jon

    Tandy used to do them, possibly ebay may have some used ones.

    Or change your bike :)
    http://www.nostalgic.net/database/ListItem.asp?Item=131

    --
    d{ô_ô}b _PK_

    "Some mornings, it's just not worth
    chewing through the leather straps."

  4. Pun Krocker

    Pun Krocker Guest

    On 15/03/2006 at 23:10:40 KoperniK wrote:

    > Hi cycle ppl :)
    >
    > Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    > moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    > masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    > Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions
    > appreciated :)

    Found one on eBay :)
    http://tinyurl.com/qcs8e

    --
    d{ô_ô}b _PK_

    "Some mornings, it's just not worth
    chewing through the leather straps."

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    KoperniK wrote:
    > Any well padded saddles out there for us
    > strapping rugby lads?

    There's only one saddle for any self respecting strapping rugby lad
    http://sheldonbrown.com/real-man.html ;-)

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, KoperniK
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    > moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with
    > masking tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM
    > Radio that I can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions
    > appreciated :)

    Little teensie radio in the back pocket of your jersey, headphone wire
    through a little hole in the pocket and up inside the jersey.

    > While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight
    > to be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for
    > us strapping rugby lads?

    DO NOT get a padded saddle if you're doing any distance. Seriously. As
    hard as possible. With padded saddles your sitbones sink into the
    padding, transferring weight onto your urethra and other soft tissues,
    leading to everything from erectile disfunction to (allegedly) cancer.

    ;; L'etat c'est moi -- Louis XVI
    ;; I... we... the Government -- Tony Blair

  7. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "KoperniK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi cycle ppl :)
    >
    > Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    > moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with masking
    > tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM Radio that I
    > can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated :)
    >
    > While I'm here - I'm a 17 stone lad and that's a fair amount of weight to
    > be pushing down on a saddle - Any well padded saddles out there for us
    > strapping rugby lads?
    >
    > Thanks :>
    >
    > Jon

    Greetings, Jon

    Well-padded saddle *does not* automatically equal comfort - even for those
    of us who are large. Honest.

    They key to saddle comfort is saddle fit and wearing a pair of proper
    cycling shorts (the ones with padded bottoms). If you don't fancy showing
    your rear in Lycra to the assembled hoardes, wear them under trousers.

    Saddle fit is very much an individual thing, so what is devine bliss for one
    bottom is hell on earth for another.

    Happy pedalling, helen s

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "KoperniK" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi cycle ppl :)
    >
    > Having little joy searching online for a UK stockist of these. At the
    > moment I have a shower radio jerry-rigged to the handlebars with masking
    > tape which splits every 40 miles or so. Just looking for a AM Radio that I
    > can mount on the handlebars - any suggestions appreciated :)

    Get an el cheapo one of these from ebay. Since I pods came out people are
    "giving them away."

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sony-MZ-G755-...ryZ15056QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

    Not only can you play 5 hrs of music on 1 disc - there is an AM/FM radio in
    the remote control which you can attach to your jacket. 10 AM and 20 FM
    presets are available. Should get one for less than 20 quid!

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  9. KoperniK

    KoperniK Guest

    Thank you all for your help :)

    nice to see an active and friendly newsgroup!

    Jon