Handlebar on Canto backwards?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Sharon, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    My husband and I just purchased two new Cantos but I'm wondering if the bike shop put the
    handlebars on backwards. Shouldn't there be a stop on the outside of the handlebar to limit how far
    forward it moves? There is a stop on the inside. Just seemed backwards to me. Hope someone has the
    answer. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Gene Cosloy

    Gene Cosloy Guest

    [email protected] (Sharon) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My husband and I just purchased two new Cantos but I'm wondering if the bike shop put the
    > handlebars on backwards. Shouldn't there be a stop on the outside of the handlebar to limit how
    > far forward it moves? There is a stop on the inside. Just seemed backwards to me. Hope someone has
    > the answer. Thanks.

    The handlebar down tube clamps over the steering tube that is hinged and rises upwards. There should
    be a stop limit screw in the front to prevent the bar from pivoting all the way forward. The more
    important adjustment is behind the steerer tube which is a screw and lock nut which provides the
    adjustment of how far toward the rider the handlebar moves before stopping.

    Regards, Gene(Burley Taiko, bike E NX)

  3. Rod Dabe

    Rod Dabe Guest

    Hi Sharon The bar on my Taiko is just like yours. I believe that's the way they intended it to be.
    It's handy to be able to fold the bar all the way forward for loading into my pickup with the cap.

    Rod

  4. Dom

    Dom Guest

    I have a 2002 Canto and unless they changed the design this is the way it is suppose to work. There
    is no stop on the forward movement (away from the rider)and a screw with set nut as a stop for
    backward movement (toward the rider). Good luck with your Canto. If you go to Burley's web site
    under FAQ they have setup and riding hints.