Handlebar reach and drop questions

BiggMakk

Oct 3, 2005
I searched the forum and I didn't find much addressing this issue. Can anyone list the standard handlebar reach and drop? I know about the sizing: 40/42/44 and I realize there are more rounded traditonal style and anantomical more squared with angled drops.

I've seen drops of 130mm and 145mm and reaches of 75mm, 80mm and 90mm listed. How are these measured?

BiggMakk said:
I searched the forum and I didn't find much addressing this issue. Can anyone list the standard handlebar reach and drop? I know about the sizing: 40/42/44 and I realize there are more rounded traditonal style and anantomical more squared with angled drops.

I've seen drops of 130mm and 145mm and reaches of 75mm, 80mm and 90mm listed. How are these measured?
The drop is the distance from the crossbar/stem to the drop (c-c) ...

And, the reach is the distance from the crossbar/stem to the tangent of the forward bend (c-c).

BOTH are generally measured (I presume) when the lower/drop portion is FLAT on a horizontal surface ...

BUT, the actual REACH & DROP can be tweaked by rotating the bar's position in the stem ...

AND, where you mount your levers (if you place your hands on the hoods) can vary the effective reach.

Using the traditional CINELLI 64 bars as a benchmark:
~130mm drop

~70mm reach

To illustrate:

reach-drop.gif