Handlebar size

Kiara2K

Sep 17, 2003
Hi,

Is there any advantage of using a 31.8mm over a 26 mm size handlebar?
Thanks.

The sell line for the oversized (31.8mm) handlebars is that they flex less. I made the switch from standard to oversized and there really is a noticable decrease in handlebar flex. I think the handlebar/stem combo that I got rid of was somewhat flexier than others to begin with though. And I also went from 46 to 44 on my handlebar width. So it's hard to say just how much of the increased stiffness is on account of the larger diameter. I kind of like the stiffer set-up though.

boudreaux said:
Don't take the 'lighter' BS as a given.
I'm not sure it's stiffer either... Maybe to Petacchi, but do recreational cyclist really notice the difference? I have a Ritchey WCS bar and stem combo in a 26 and a 31.7 on two different bikes (same make but one has a 1 inch steerer and the other a 1 and 1/8th). They are both very stiff. The stack height on the steerer tube seems to make the only noticeable difference.
:cool:

meehs said:
The sell line for the oversized (31.8mm) handlebars is that they flex less. I made the switch from standard to oversized and there really is a noticable decrease in handlebar flex.
I like the flex. It's like front suspension.