Handlebar / stem advice

Rick_G

Jul 30, 2006
I have a Deda Big Piega bars with a Deda stem.

I don't like the comfort level of the bars, they don't fit my wide palms very well when I ride in the drops.

So I'm looking at ordering the 3TTT XL Less bars. They're nice ergo bars that should fit my hands better.

My question is... Will the 3TTT bars rated at 31.8 fit into my Deda stem rated at 31.7 or do I need to plan on buying a new stem too? Hoping I can use my old stem.

Also, how do I remove my campy levers from the bars? I was a mechanic 20 years ago, but I don't see where I'll need to loosen these new levers. Everything has changed in the past 20 years.

Thanks!

STILL NEEDS SOME ADVICE
Anybody have the answer to this? Thanks!

Will bars rated at 31.8 fit into a stem rated at 31.7?
Or do I need to plan on buying a new stem too? Hoping I can use my old stem?

Also, how do I remove my campy levers from the bars?
I'm not seeing where to access the bolt to loosen the levers.

Thanks for your help.

Hello - is there anybody out there? LOL

Can anyone take a stab at these questions?

I really need to get an answer so I'll know what to order. :confused:

Thanks!

Rick_G said:
Hello - is there anybody out there? LOL

Can anyone take a stab at these questions?

I really need to get an answer so I'll know what to order. :confused:

Thanks!
what you might want to do is go to www.sheldonbrown.com.
he has a bunch of tech articles on bike repair, and sizing of the different parts.
he also has an email address where you can ask him questions about what
you are trying to do...

Rick_G said:
I have a Deda Big Piega bars with a Deda stem.

I don't like the comfort level of the bars, they don't fit my wide palms very well when I ride in the drops.

So I'm looking at ordering the 3TTT XL Less bars. They're nice ergo bars that should fit my hands better.

My question is... Will the 3TTT bars rated at 31.8 fit into my Deda stem rated at 31.7 or do I need to plan on buying a new stem too? Hoping I can use my old stem.

Also, how do I remove my campy levers from the bars? I was a mechanic 20 years ago, but I don't see where I'll need to loosen these new levers. Everything has changed in the past 20 years.

Thanks!

Yes, 31.7 and 31.8 will fit the same stem clamps. Things were a lot pickier in the days before removable face plates.

And you're right about Dedas too - I don't like the aero bend on mine at all, it's just in the wrong place and I either wind up holding on at the corner or bending my wrists too much to hold the flats. TTT has it right and I'm going to switch.

You might get more assistance posting this in the "Cycling Equipment" forum :)

Rick_G said:
STILL NEEDS SOME ADVICE
Anybody have the answer to this? Thanks!

Will bars rated at 31.8 fit into a stem rated at 31.7?
Or do I need to plan on buying a new stem too? Hoping I can use my old stem?

Also, how do I remove my campy levers from the bars?
I'm not seeing where to access the bolt to loosen the levers.

Thanks for your help.

Rick, they probably make the Bars 31.8 dia so a 31.7 dia stem will grip them when the Face Plate is torqued onto them, you'll be OK....
Campy have a list of instructions at:
http://campagnolo.com/techinfo.php?did=f just scroll down to find your Levers...ergopower have a screw on the back of the band you have to loosten to remove the Levers, I don't know what kind of Levers you have...??

Hope this helps.