Handlebar tape color to match Brooks Honey

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trevor Taylor

Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks honey-colored
saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest I've seen, but is
still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?

Thanks!

Trevor

>Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
>honey-colored saddle?

The classical solution is to use white cloth tape and shellac it with amber shellac. Start putting
on coats and stop when you get the color you like. Phil Brown

Have you thought about using leather, and dyeing to get a match of the colour?

On Thu, 15 May 2003 14:27:35 GMT, "Trevor Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
>honey-colored saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest
>I've seen, but is still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Trevor

Trevor Taylor writes:

> Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
> honey-colored saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest
> I've seen, but is still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?

Rivendell Bicycle Works sells several brown/mustard/deep yellow colors of cotton bar tape that you
can dye with gun-stock oil then shellac. Take a look at their web site, or give them a call. I'm
sure they have a solution.

www.rivendellbicycles.com

"Trevor Taylor" wrote
> Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
> honey-colored saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest
> I've seen, but is still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Trevor

I bought yellow Tressostar cloth tape and shellaced it with clear shellac and got a very good match.
--
mark

I matched mine with a three inch wide strip of leather that I punched and laced onto the handlebars.

That was 7 years ago, they still look great.

May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

I have a Brooks honey colored saddle on my Rivendell and matched it nicely with yellow Tressostar
cloth tape, then shellacked with an amber shellac -- I used about 4 or 5 very thin coats, and it's
been holding up great for going on two years.

The shellac now has almost a "burnished" look to it, and I can't tell you how many people ask if the
bars are wrapped in leather.

Kyle Brooks

>honey-colored saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest
>I've seen, but is still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?

Status
Not open for further replies.