Handlebar tape color to match Brooks Honey

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Trevor Taylor, May 15, 2003.

  1. Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks honey-colored
    saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest I've seen, but is
    still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?

    Thanks!

    Trevor

    Tags:

  2. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
    >honey-colored saddle?

    The classical solution is to use white cloth tape and shellac it with amber shellac. Start putting
    on coats and stop when you get the color you like. Phil Brown

  3. Have you thought about using leather, and dyeing to get a match of the colour?

    On Thu, 15 May 2003 14:27:35 GMT, "Trevor Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
    >honey-colored saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest
    >I've seen, but is still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Trevor

  4. Richard Ney

    Richard Ney Guest

    Trevor Taylor writes:

    > Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
    > honey-colored saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest
    > I've seen, but is still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?

    Rivendell Bicycle Works sells several brown/mustard/deep yellow colors of cotton bar tape that you
    can dye with gun-stock oil then shellac. Take a look at their web site, or give them a call. I'm
    sure they have a solution.

    www.rivendellbicycles.com

  5. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Trevor Taylor" wrote
    > Does anyone know where I can find handlebar tape that will match the color of a Brooks
    > honey-colored saddle? I'm building a new-to-look-old bike. Cinelli cork, natural is the closest
    > I've seen, but is still too light. Perhaps I could dye it?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Trevor

    I bought yellow Tressostar cloth tape and shellaced it with clear shellac and got a very good match.
    --
    mark

  6. I matched mine with a three inch wide strip of leather that I punched and laced onto the handlebars.

    That was 7 years ago, they still look great.

  7. Twobooglie

    Twobooglie Guest

    I have a Brooks honey colored saddle on my Rivendell and matched it nicely with yellow Tressostar
    cloth tape, then shellacked with an amber shellac -- I used about 4 or 5 very thin coats, and it's
    been holding up great for going on two years.

    The shellac now has almost a "burnished" look to it, and I can't tell you how many people ask if the
    bars are wrapped in leather.

    Kyle Brooks