Handlebar tape?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by RocklinResident, Apr 4, 2006.

1. RocklinResident

RocklinResident New Member

I need new handlebar tape. Does anyone have advice on what kind to buy, and tips on application (never done it myself).

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

I like Profile Design Cork wrap. It is inexpensive, it wears well and it's easy to apply since it does not have any annoying adhesive tape on the back. I start at the bar ends and overlap them by a half inch or so and begin winding it tightly and evenly as I work my way around the bar. I use a tighter pattern around the bends at the top because I spend a lot of time on the hoods. When finished, I trim the excess at a slight angle, so it makes for a nice even end. The nice thing about the non-adhesive Profile Design wrap is that if I don't like how it comes out I can try as many times as I'd like until it's perfect.

3. rudycyclist

rudycyclist New Member

My LBS sells Planet Bike tape (along with Bontrager tape but I hated the stock tape on my bike). I bought Planet Bike's cork tape. It's nice and comfortable for me. It has a pretty good cushion to it. It was only somewhere around $7 for me.

Application: I agree with the above post; go with non-sticky tape for sure. I actually didn't know they made tape that was sticky on the back. If I would have used that for re-taping my bike, it would have been disastrous. I started up near the steam the 1st time I did it, but I'd recommend starting down by the drops. I've heard that can be easier to start down there. It probably took me about 5 trys on each side to get it right.

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

there's some new, sexy stuff that looks like carbon!!! :)
    I think ITM make it

5. when eddy ruled

when eddy ruled New Member

cinelli cork gel ;) its comfy, easy to apply and lasts really well.

as for application tips, start at the bottom of the handlebar, overlap by 1/2 to a 1/3, make sure you wrap around the brake levers properly before finishing. nothing worse than finishing wrapping and taping up only to find under the brake levers a gap in the tape :mad: when everything is looking good cut the tape on an angle and tape down

6. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

And throw away those two pieces of "finishing tape" that come with it. Regular old electrical tape works a lot better.

7. Fox Farm

Fox Farm New Member

I use Stella Azura and it is exceptional. It's a little bit more expensive than most. It has a true leather-like feel. I also use FSA regular tape and it's really affordable at about $9.

8. p55mac

p55mac New Member

Nice tip...and electrical tape is also available in 9 different colors. White’s in my color
    scheme, and after 15 years, I’m still on the same roll :)

9. jakefm

jakefm New Member

Second the profile design tape hard to beat for the price. Also a second for electrical tape, I cant say im a master wrapper so I go ahead and tape the ends fo the bar to.

10. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Tip - start at the bar ends and wrap in the direction that your thumbs wrap around the bar (toward the inside as you come over the top)

11. mogulhead

mogulhead New Member

12. dm69

dm69 New Member

I had my first crack at handlebar tape last night and I must say did a reasonably shoddy job :p . However you do have to look really hard to notice my mistakes aesthetically i give myself a 6.5/10. The red amborosio tape looks nice and shiny yet still has plenty of grip and cushion...$4.11 australian dollars on probikekit.com so for value you cant beat it. Matches my red vivace really well with red rubino pro's (training) and my red veloflex pave's (racing). The tape i used had a sticky back and i had no trouble unwrapping and re wrapping as it held its stickiness superbly.

13. RocklinResident

RocklinResident New Member

anyone try specialized barphat yet (got some, wrapped half my bars with it but my bikes in the shoppe)

14. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

Nothing will change the look of your roadbike as quickly and as inexpensively as new handlebar wrap. Plain black stays clean looking longer or you can buy whatever you think looks cool with the idea that you can always redo it if you don't like it.

Big tip - double check for gaps on the outside of the curves, especially at the drops, before you go too far.

15. free_rideman

free_rideman New Member

Does everyone cover the part where the shifters clamps onto the bar? Or do people just go around that part and keep it uncovered?

-I have heard that many race team mechanics don't bother with covering it up, since it really doesn't provide any benefits. But I am thinking that it might cause dirt to get in and underneath the shift, and cause some problems maybe in the future?

16. pontifex

pontifex New Member

Could be talking about two different things but im pretty sure the two little "finish tape" bits in cinelli wrap is actually to wrap around the metal hoop that attaches your levers to your bars.
    k

17. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Ambrosio

18. pontifex

pontifex New Member

edit to this: there is also finishing tape in the cinelli box. agree that you should throw this crap out and use electrical tape.

19. Mash3

Mash3 New Member

Use electrical tape to secure the ends of the handlebar tape, then use the fancy Cinelli tape over the electrical tape to finish off the job; just for looks! :)

Greg

20. TooTall999

TooTall999 New Member

Ambrosio Bike Ribbon is the tape I've used for years.Unlike most I get the best results starting at the top and wrapping down to the ends.