Handlebar width advise

DaveN

Mar 1, 2004
Hi

I am about to replace my bars, currently 42cm, with something wider. Is there an formula like the frame size calculation that would help me select the appropiate width.

I know its a matter of comfort and I mainly ride with my hands on the hoods rather then the tops so I dont think I want 46's.

I just dont want to get bars that are too small or far too wide.

Any help would be great,

Regards

Dave N

How about going to a bike shop and asking to do some test-rides on bikes with different bar widths?

Originally posted by DaveN
Hi

I am about to replace my bars, currently 42cm, with something wider. Is there an formula like the frame size calculation that would help me select the appropiate width.

I know its a matter of comfort and I mainly ride with my hands on the hoods rather then the tops so I dont think I want 46's.

I just dont want to get bars that are too small or far too wide.

Any help would be great,

Regards

Dave N

GENERALLY, I THINK THE MOST ACCEPTED THEORY IS TO MEASURE FROM THE TIP OF ONE SHOULDER TO THE TIP OF THE OTHER.
THAT SHOULD GIVE YOU THE MEASURMENTS YOU NEED.

I reckon the 'measure the shoulder width' thing is kinda bollocky. This would mean that a 6'4" guy would have, what... 50cm bars?

Wide bars flex like crazy when you sprint, and they make me feel as though I'm driving a bus!

I'm a medium to large kinda guy (for a cyclist) at 85kg, and 5'11.5", and I use a 42cm aluminium. I even have a pair of 40cm bars on my old criterium bike!!! Mmmmm...stiff.

I suppose if you can afford some super-dooper carbon bars, you might get around the flex issue.

The widely used method for determining your OPTIMUM handlebar width is just like what Alan described but not exactly measuring from the tip of the shoulders but instead from the bone in front of your shoulders.

For a person with broad shoulders and whose front shoulder size measures more than, say, 46 or even 48, then use the widest bar from the norm.

Handlebars usually come in measurements from 42-48. But its not uncommon to encounter bars as narrow as 40 (ie. Easton recently launched a yellow colored 40 bar) usually with shallow drops since they're mostly for women.