handlebar width

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Callistus Valer, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. I've always gone with narrow handlebars due to aerodynamics,
    but wide bars were in vogue at one time. What was the
    rational for using wide bars? I think Lance uses wide bars.

    Tags:

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    news:1vY4c.20094$%[email protected]...
    > I've always gone with narrow handlebars due to
    > aerodynamics, but wide bars were in vogue at one time.
    > What was the rational for using wide bars? I think Lance
    > uses wide bars.

    It opens up your chest/lung area for easier breathing. I've
    got shoulders like a gorilla and the first bike I got came
    with narrow bars. I rode with them for a long time. When I
    finally changed them out, the difference was quite
    noticeable ... at least in terms of comfort, if not
    necessarily performance. It did really seem to help me
    improve my climbing on smaller hills where I wasn't inclined
    to put my hands on the tops of the bars.

    Bob C.