Handlebar

Kiara2K

Sep 17, 2003
Hi,
I am now using a riser bar on my bike but I am thinking of changing it to a straight bar.
What is the different feel of a riser and a straight gar?
I have been told the Monketlite bar (carbon) is a good bar that absorb the vibration.
Is this true?

A riser bar will give you a more upright position on the bike. This gives you somewhat better control, especially in technical situations. I personally prefer a flat bar, so I can have a more aerodynamic stance. Also, flat bars are usually 50-100 grams lighter.

Originally posted by percious
A riser bar will give you a more upright position on the bike. This gives you somewhat better control, especially in technical situations. I personally prefer a flat bar, so I can have a more aerodynamic stance.

I'm not entirely sure that having flat bars is the only way to get a more aerodynamic stance though. I went from a flat bar to a riser for the added control, but when I need to be aerodynamic I simply bend my arms at the elbows. The main difference I've noticed is that most risers tend to be wider than flat bars. This can make it difficult/impossible to ride through some tight areas on singletrack...

Originally posted by Hunter
Aerodynamics on a MTB??

Of course!! Why do you think MTB racers where such tight fitting clothes? I can assure you it's not because they want to show off their physique... hahaha. Also why do you think Helmets are made in such a oval shape? Aerodynamics...

Originally posted by Kiara2K
Hi,
I am now using a riser bar on my bike but I am thinking of changing it to a straight bar.
What is the different feel of a riser and a straight gar?
I have been told the Monketlite bar (carbon) is a good bar that absorb the vibration.
Is this true?

Monkeylite is a good bar, but I don't think you will feel any difference in vibration due to the bar. Most vibration is absorbed in the tires and shock fork if you have one. You might feel more shock, depending on your flexibility. Your arms may be straighter and/or more of your weight may be shifted forward. This shift in position may be good or not, depending on your "optimized fit".
You should read Peter White's unique fitting information at URL:
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/fitting.htm
You can then make your changes based on reason.
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

i think u should go 4 the monkeylite, i got it and it totaly absored some of the vibrations

Originally posted by oxygen_77
Of course!! Why do you think MTB racers where such tight fitting clothes? I can assure you it's not because they want to show off their physique... hahaha. Also why do you think Helmets are made in such a oval shape? Aerodynamics...

There is something about spandex and MTB'ng that just doesn't click...may work for the Queer Eye folk, but not for me. I'll leave the lavender and chartreuse fagrags to the roadies, and hang on to my LL Bean baggies and Polos; besides, I don't believe for one minute that spandex show wear makes any difference in a real race, such as the Tour.....so there;)

yo kiara.....whre do u live...in malaysia?.....just wondering....anyway yup carbons do absorb shock better plus they`re really responsive.....and the riser from the straight all depends on you......with a straight you have to bend more(slightly).....its a much more relaxed ride wif a riser......im using an ameoba scud 630 mm riser.....but go wif the carbon man!!!!!