Handlebars Anatomic or Shallow ?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by EasyDoesIt, May 16, 2006.

1. EasyDoesIt

EasyDoesIt New Member

Hi all

I'm looking to buy a new set of handlebars, have a set of Deda 215's shallow but i want to go for wider ones (44), the ones i have are 42. I like the 215's i have, but i'm tempted by the anatomical ones and i'm wondering does anyone have any experience with them ? The reach on the anatomical ones seems to be more but it doesn't look more cos of the shape, i definately don't want the reach to be anymore than what's on my shallow bars at the mo.

Thanks in advance

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

Bar shape is kind of like saddle preference in that it is individual fit that is the most important. Personally, I prefer a non-anatomical shaped bar as I think that you actually get more flexibility of hand positions with the non-anatomical bars. If you look at the pro peloton, you will see that most (but not all) of the riders are also riding conventional curved bars.

3. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

Try out anatomic first before you buy coz lever reach on anatomics is more compared to normal Italian-bend-style bars (specially those with small hands or short fingers).

4. EasyDoesIt

EasyDoesIt New Member

Sounds like it's the Italian bend for me then don't want to have to reach further for the brakes !!

5. free_rideman

free_rideman New Member

Check out Bontrager's Variable Radius bend bars. I have the Race Lite bar in this bend, and it is the most comfortable bar I ever used.

http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Components/Handlebars/5713.php

btw - it doesn't look as good there as in real life. If you want a picture I will post one on here.