Handlebars and tape

Bob

Guest
I'm looking to upgrade my "non-ergonomic" handlebars with some more comfy ones. I have down tube
shifters, so cable routing isn't much of a problem. Can anyone recommend some handlebars that have a
comfortable position for the hands when on the drops? (In other words, my current handlebars are
rounded, and I'm thinking of getting some with an angle for placement of hands when on/near the
drops.) Thanks.

Also, I never get handlebar tape to stick without gaps. What's the secret to good taping?

--
Bob

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in news:gb9Ba.8276$xo4.2201586808 @newssvr10.news.prodigy.com:
> I'm looking to upgrade my "non-ergonomic" handlebars with some more comfy ones. I have down tube
> shifters, so cable routing isn't much of a problem. Can anyone recommend some handlebars that have
> a comfortable position for the hands when on the drops?

I've used old style handlebars and "ergonomic" handlebars and don't find the new style any more
comfortable.

> Also, I never get handlebar tape to stick without gaps. What's the secret to good taping?

Keep it tight when wrapping, especially on the curved parts of the bar. Also, overlap at least
one-third of the tape (more on the curved parts).

>non-ergonomic" handlebars with some more comfy

I have used both types. I have found the non-ergo bars with cut half section of plastic pipe in the
drop area to be the most comfortable. What you gain in the palms on ergo drops, you lose on the
finger reach. B

(remove clothes to reply)

I recently replaced my "classic" handlebars with the Ritchey WCS roadbar that has an ergo curve
for your hands in the drops. They really feel much more comfortable than my old bars and the ergo
curve seems to be well thought out. I had them replaced by my local shop so I can't give any
taping advice.

Good luck, Joel "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to upgrade my "non-ergonomic" handlebars with some more comfy ones. I have down tube
> shifters, so cable routing isn't much of a
problem.
> Can anyone recommend some handlebars that have a comfortable position for the hands when on the
> drops? (In other words, my current handlebars are rounded, and I'm thinking of getting some with
> an angle for placement of hands when on/near the drops.) Thanks.
>
> Also, I never get handlebar tape to stick without gaps. What's the secret to good taping?
>
> --
> Bob

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm looking to upgrade my "non-ergonomic" handlebars with some more comfy ones. I have down tube
> shifters, so cable routing isn't much of a
problem.
> Can anyone recommend some handlebars that have a comfortable position for the hands when on the
> drops? (In other words, my current handlebars are rounded, and I'm thinking of getting some with
> an angle for placement of hands when on/near the drops.) Thanks.

I like the 3T bars alot, and have recently taken to the Ritchey's. YMMV.

> Also, I never get handlebar tape to stick without gaps. What's the secret to good taping?

Make sure it's reasonably tight and don't pull it too far out of plane while winding. If your tape
is the Cinelli type with a double-sided sticky tape, I advise to peel it off. It leaves enough
residue to help with application. Stickiness beyond that is of no importance, evidenced by such
non-adhesived tapes such as Profile which I have used extensively (and stays put).

--
Robin Hubert <[email protected]

"Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>> Also, I never get handlebar tape to stick without gaps. What's the
secret
> to good taping?
>
> --
> Bob

Practice. Also try Cinelli's new gel tape. It does not have an adhesive back, just a rubbery strip
that can be redone again and again until you get it right. It's also a lot harder to rip from
pulling too hard. It looks just like cork. I wish it came in more colors and designs.

Glenn

"Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Bob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I'm looking to upgrade my "non-ergonomic" handlebars with some more
comfy
> > ones. I have down tube shifters, so cable routing isn't much of a
> problem.
> > Can anyone recommend some handlebars that have a comfortable position
for
> > the hands when on the drops? (In other words, my current handlebars are rounded, and I'm
> > thinking of getting some with an angle for placement of hands when on/near the drops.) Thanks.
>
> I like the 3T bars alot, and have recently taken to the Ritchey's. YMMV.
>

> > Also, I never get handlebar tape to stick without gaps. What's the
secret
> > to good taping?
> >

> Make sure it's reasonably tight and don't pull it too far out of plane
while
> winding. If your tape is the Cinelli type with a double-sided sticky
tape,
> I advise to peel it off. It leaves enough residue to help with
application.
> Stickiness beyond that is of no importance, evidenced by such
non-adhesived
> tapes such as Profile which I have used extensively (and stays put).
>

> --
> Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

Thanks, all! Well, now I'm unsure of whether I should change my handlebars or not. My handlebars, in
the curved section, just feel a little "wrong." It's almost as if my hands don't fit the curve well.
However, I've ridden many, many miles on these bars, so perhaps I'll keep them a while longer.

As to the tape -- I'll give it a better shot and see what happens.