Handlebars - raising?

Peewiglet

Guest
I'm not sure but I think my handlebars may be too low. I'll look into
finding out whether they are or not, but a week ago I asked at the LCS
whether it was possible to raise them, and I was told it wasn't.

Can anyone tell me what the solution may be, if they're too low? I'm
assuming that I may need to buy a different set of handlebars,
perhaps?

Many thanks for any help.

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

Peewiglet wrote:
> I'm not sure but I think my handlebars may be too low. I'll look into
> finding out whether they are or not, but a week ago I asked at the LCS
> whether it was possible to raise them, and I was told it wasn't.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the solution may be, if they're too low? I'm
> assuming that I may need to buy a different set of handlebars,
> perhaps?
>
> Many thanks for any help.

What type of bars (drop, flats, riser etc) and what type of stem (quill,
ahead) do you have currently fitted?

--
Tony

Anon

in message <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
('[email protected]') wrote:

> I'm not sure but I think my handlebars may be too low. I'll look into
> finding out whether they are or not, but a week ago I asked at the LCS
> whether it was possible to raise them, and I was told it wasn't.
>
> Can anyone tell me what the solution may be, if they're too low? I'm
> assuming that I may need to buy a different set of handlebars,
> perhaps?

You need a different stem - that's the piece which runs forward from the
steerer tube to the handlebars. It's reasonably simple to change them.
Some are adjustable.

Do not sail on uphill water.
- Bill Lee

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:32:50 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
wrote:

>What type of bars (drop, flats, riser etc) and what type of stem (quill,
>ahead) do you have currently fitted?

I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 19:51:23 +0100, Simon Brooke
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You need a different stem - that's the piece which runs forward from the
>steerer tube to the handlebars. It's reasonably simple to change them.
>Some are adjustable.

Ah, thanks. I'll ask at the shop :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:35:08 +0100, Peewiglet <[email protected]>
wrote:

>>What type of bars (drop, flats, riser etc) and what type of stem (quill,
>>ahead) do you have currently fitted?

>I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
>http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

Those are riser bars. Flats are exactly that, completely, errr...
flat.

The reason you can't just raise the handlebars is that your bike, like
most modern bikes, uses the "A head" type fork and stem arrangement.
The stem clamps directly onto the fork steerer tube, and, because the
fork is cut off directly above the stem, there is no higher position
available to move it to.

As someone else has suggested, one option is to fit an adjustable
stem. See here for an example:

http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/3545/groupID/4/categoryID/51/v/

It clamps in place as normal, but has a joint which can be adjusted to
swing the bars up or down through an arc.

It's worth remembering that this will have also have an effect on the
reach of the bars, moving them slightly forward or back, as well us up
or down.

"Bob"
--

"I will refuse to register for an ID card and will donate £10
to a legal defence fund but only if 10,000 other people will

Join the Pledge !!

http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

http://www.pledgebank.com/faq

Peewiglet wrote:
> I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
> http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

Assuming turning the stem upside down wouldn't help (seriously), and there
are no spacers above the stem, changing the stem for one with more rise is
the cheapest and most straightforward method. Adjustable stems are handy
as well.

A steerer extension adapter is a more radical method if you need /loads/
more height.

~PB

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 22:05:27 GMT, Call me Bob
<[email protected]> wrote:

>>I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
>>http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

>Those are riser bars. Flats are exactly that, completely, errr...
>flat.

Oops, thanks. I wasn't quite sure...

>The reason you can't just raise the handlebars is that your bike, like
>most modern bikes, uses the "A head" type fork and stem arrangement.
>The stem clamps directly onto the fork steerer tube, and, because the
>fork is cut off directly above the stem, there is no higher position
>available to move it to.
>
>As someone else has suggested, one option is to fit an adjustable
>stem. See here for an example:
>
>http://www.parker-international.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/3545/groupID/4/categoryID/51/v/
>
>It clamps in place as normal, but has a joint which can be adjusted to
>swing the bars up or down through an arc.
>
>It's worth remembering that this will have also have an effect on the
>reach of the bars, moving them slightly forward or back, as well us up
>or down.

Many thanks - that's very helpful. I'll approach the shop to enquire
:)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 00:07:00 +0100, "Pete Biggs"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Peewiglet wrote:
>> I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
>> http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

>Assuming turning the stem upside down wouldn't help (seriously), and there
>are no spacers above the stem, changing the stem for one with more rise is
>the cheapest and most straightforward method. Adjustable stems are handy
>as well.
>
>A steerer extension adapter is a more radical method if you need /loads/
>more height.

Thanks, Pete :)

Best wishes,
--
,,
(**)PeeWiglet~~

('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:32:50 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>What type of bars (drop, flats, riser etc) and what type of stem
>>(quill, ahead) do you have currently fitted?

> I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
> http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

Those are called 'risers' because of the slight rise; flats really are.
I can't see from the spec whether your steerer is 1" or 1.125" but
probably the latter. You can increase the effective length of your
steerer by using one of these
<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5110000395>
but I'm not sure I'd recommend it. Alternatively you can get adjustable
stems like this
<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5360012213>

The best and cheapest solution is just to buy a stem exactly the length
and angle you need, but often a little experimentation is needed to find
that!

to err is human, to lisp divine
;; attributed to Kim Philby, oddly enough.

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:00:59 +0100, Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

>in message <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
>('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:32:50 +0100, Tony Raven <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>What type of bars (drop, flats, riser etc) and what type of stem
>>>(quill, ahead) do you have currently fitted?

>> I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
>> http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

>Those are called 'risers' because of the slight rise; flats really are.
>I can't see from the spec whether your steerer is 1" or 1.125" but
>probably the latter. You can increase the effective length of your
>steerer by using one of these
><URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5110000395>
>but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

Please, what is the problem with these?

"Eric Reynolds" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:00:59 +0100, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>>Those are called 'risers' because of the slight rise; flats really are.
>>I can't see from the spec whether your steerer is 1" or 1.125" but
>>probably the latter. You can increase the effective length of your
>>steerer by using one of these
>><URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5110000395>
>>but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

> Please, what is the problem with these?

I'm not sure I'd use one for hard MTB riding, or if I was worried about
weight, but for road use they're fine. Our road tandem has one.

cheers,
clive

Eric Reynolds wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:00:59 +0100, Simon Brooke
>> You can increase the effective length of your
>> steerer by using one of these

[stem raiser:]
>> <URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5110000395>
>> but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

> Please, what is the problem with these?

I don't know of any great problem with them (as long as it didn't raise
/too/ much), but a replacement stem with more rise angle would be lighter,
stiffer, neater and simpler*, and possibly a bit cheaper too. Of course a
stem raiser would be handy if no stem on its own could provide enough
height.

Drastic and expensive as it may be, I would also consider replacing the
forks to get a longer steerer.

* Fewer parts you have, the fewer parts there are to go wrong and worry
about.

~PB

in message <[email protected]>, Eric Reynolds
('[email protected]') wrote:

> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 00:00:59 +0100, Simon Brooke <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>in message <[email protected]>, Peewiglet
>>('[email protected]') wrote:

>>> I think they must be flats. My bike's a Ridgeback Cyclone: piccy here
>>> http://tinyurl.com/76h9l

>>Those are called 'risers' because of the slight rise; flats really are.
>>I can't see from the spec whether your steerer is 1" or 1.125" but
>>probably the latter. You can increase the effective length of your
>>steerer by using one of these
>><URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5110000395>
>>but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

> Please, what is the problem with these?

The adjustment is pretty course, and it's a chunk of weight. Also, it's
one more pair of bolts which if they were ever to come loose would mean
serious trouble, but that isn't very likely. If you're fitting a new
fork and want this sort of configuration, the better solution (lighter,
stronger, more adjustable) is simply to leave the steerer tube long and
use stackers; unfortunately new bikes tend to come with their steerers
cut really short these days.

;; Let's have a moment of silence for all those Americans who are stuck
;; in traffic on their way to the gym to ride the stationary bicycle.
;; Rep. Earl Blumenauer (Dem, OR)

>>>Those are called 'risers' because of the slight rise; flats really are.
>>>I can't see from the spec whether your steerer is 1" or 1.125" but
>>>probably the latter. You can increase the effective length of your
>>>steerer by using one of these
>>><URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/Default.aspx?ProdID=5110000395>
>>>but I'm not sure I'd recommend it.

>> Please, what is the problem with these?

> The adjustment is pretty course

Actually in some ways that isn't an issue. Provided you want the entire
extra length offered, it actually gives you fine adjustment of about an
inch - you don't need spacers to mount the stem on the extension bit.

> and it's a chunk of weight.

Not disputed

> Also, it's
> one more pair of bolts which if they were ever to come loose would mean
> serious trouble, but that isn't very likely.

Just as if your stem bolts come loose you're shafted. Ie treat it the same
as a stem and this won't be an issue.

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> Also, it's
>> one more pair of bolts which if they were ever to come loose would
>> mean serious trouble, but that isn't very likely.

> Just as if your stem bolts come loose you're shafted. Ie treat it the
> same as a stem and this won't be an issue.

But two sets of bolts doubles the chances of problems. Not a big issue
but is another factor to add to the considerations.

~PB

I recently installed a "Zoom" brand stem riser. (similar to the "Delta"
model Simon was kind enough to link to)

It's SOLID. I would have no issue with using it offroad nor any fear it
would come loose or break. Beefy. Feels like it's welded on.

3.5inches of extra rise, adjustable with the included spacers.
http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=1400 (mine has two bolts,
not the single depicted, but otherwise the same, for a 1-1/8th inch stem)

Good luck,
Chris

news:eek:[email protected]...