Handlebars

Mark

Guest
I'm getting a new road bike. The main decision I have to make at the moment is to do with
handlebars. Drops is the obvious option, but I've also seen others which are similar to drops but
stop at the brake levers - dunno what they're called. Just wondered whether anyone has had
experience of these others & the pros & cons for both.

Ta for any thoughts,

Mark

These are (used to be) known as Bull Horns, they usually are set so that the riding position is same
as it is whilst on the drops. Often found on TT machines, especially low profiles

No experience of them, loads of experience of traditional drops, they give many riding
positions though.

"Mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'm getting a new road bike. The main decision I have to make at the moment is to do with
> handlebars. Drops is the obvious option, but I've also seen others which are similar to drops but
> stop at the brake levers - dunno what they're called. Just wondered whether anyone has had
> experience of these others & the pros & cons for both.
>
> Ta for any thoughts,
>
> Mark

In message <[email protected]>, Mark
<[email protected]> writes
>I'm getting a new road bike. The main decision I have to make at the moment is to do with
>handlebars. Drops is the obvious option, but I've also seen others which are similar to drops but
>stop at the brake levers - dunno what they're called.

I used a pair of drop turned upside down and cut of on the bend with the brake leaver mounted
underneath for sometime (on my tourer and on my utility bike.

If you don't use the drops then they give the benefits of some different positions, without the need
for drops and put the brake levers in a more convenient positions.

Downside is that you don't have the drops to go down onto when you might want to.....

--
Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, Dave
<[email protected]> writes
>I only use the type of bar you describe and I love them. Profile Airwings is one to look for
>(available in two widths 40 and 42mm)
>
>Regards Dave

It's actually 'Profile Airwing'.
--
Michael MacClancy

I only use the type of bar you describe and I love them. Profile Airwings is one to look for
(available in two widths 40 and 42mm)

Regards Dave

"chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Mark
> <[email protected]> writes
> >I'm getting a new road bike. The main decision I have to make at the moment is to do with
> >handlebars. Drops is the obvious option, but I've also seen others which are similar to drops but
> >stop at the brake levers - dunno what they're called.
>
> I used a pair of drop turned upside down and cut of on the bend with the brake leaver mounted
> underneath for sometime (on my tourer and on my utility bike.
>
> If you don't use the drops then they give the benefits of some different positions, without the
> need for drops and put the brake levers in a more convenient positions.
>
> Downside is that you don't have the drops to go down onto when you might want to.....
> >

> --
> Chris French, Leeds

> I only use the type of bar you describe and I love them. Profile Airwings is one to look for
> (available in two widths 40 and 42mm)

Just wondered what advantages/disadvantages they have over conventional drops...

Mark

Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

: Just wondered what advantages/disadvantages they have over conventional drops...

You usually see them on TT bikes. With Aerobars they are more aero-dynamic than normal drops.

The big disadvantage for me is that I find them less comfortable than drops. I had a fixie running
with cut-off inverted drop for quite a while but didn't find it comfortable for rides of more than
20 miles, so I swapped back to drops.

If you want to try it, I'd suggest getting some old drops and inverting them (after cutting with a
hacksaw) to see if you like it.

Arthur

Lord Lester