handling a workplace without showers?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by parawolf, Jan 29, 2007.

  1. petulance

    petulance Guest

    On Jan 30, 6:28 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:14:20 -0800, petulance wrote:
    > > You have to ask yourself if you really need a wagon. I haven't driven
    > > an Outback or Liberty before, but the Imprezas and Foresters are nice
    > > small cars to drive.

    > Having traded an Impreza for an Outback to allow easier transport of
    > kids + assorted required stuff, they're not that bad to drive. Certainly
    > bigger and thirstier, but in some cases I reckon the Outback handles
    > better than a non-turbo Impreza (the sway bars count for a lot).

    If I had kids I would definitely be looking at a wagon. The 2.0 litre
    non-turbo Imprezas (MY01 onwards)
    are a bit underpowered, IMHO. I hear that the pre 2001 models are
    better because they have the same engine but weigh 100kg less.

    > AWD costs you weight and fuel efficiency, but is nice in adverse
    > conditions. Otherwise a small/medium hatch is a good option. I know you
    > can get 2 people + 2 MTBs in a 5 door Yaris without any real hassle.

    Hmmm. Might have to add the Yaris to my shortlist then. I wonder if I
    can tell the difference going to non-AWD after driving a
    car with AWD for a while now.

  2. Theo Bekkers

    Theo Bekkers Guest

    parawolf wrote:

    > So how do you deal with the shower issue? and what kind of car would
    > you as a cyclist get (assume ~$40k new), i'm thinking second
    > hand/ex-demo, and what is perking my mind is something like a Toyota
    > Yaris or splash out a bit and get a VW Polo GTI. The best car in the
    > range, and very popular with cyclists appears to be the Subaru
    > Liberty/Outback/Forester. Good cars, just expensive.

    VW Golf 1.9TDI. $28,000, 5.5 l/100km.

    Theo

  3. LotteBum

    LotteBum New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 2, 2004
    Messages:
    1,138
    Unless you drive like a d!ckhead, you probably won't. Most new cars come with good tyres..... particularly if you don't buy something sh!tty like a Hyundai.

    Lotte

  4. thefathippy

    thefathippy Guest

    On Jan 31, 9:07 am, "petulance" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Jan 30, 6:28 pm, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:14:20 -0800, petulance wrote:
    > > > You have to ask yourself if you really need a wagon. I haven't driven
    > > > an Outback or Liberty before, but the Imprezas and Foresters are nice
    > > > small cars to drive.

    > If I had kids I would definitely be looking at a wagon. The 2.0 litre
    > non-turbo Imprezas (MY01 onwards)
    > are a bit underpowered, IMHO. I hear that the pre 2001 models are
    > better because they have the same engine but weigh 100kg less.

    2006(?) saw the introduction of the 2.0 R model (different motor) -
    which (having owned both) definitely has more poke than what's now
    sold as the 2.0 i model. The "wagon" version has much more space for
    bikes. But my bike transport is an 88 sportswagon. It doesn't have any
    poke - none at all (and less if the A/C is on), but does keep up with
    traffic.

    Tony F

  5. parawolf

    parawolf New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    Sandbagger? why you little.... :>

    My problem is in regards to the shower facilities. However I think i've solved this as i've found a nearby gym that has cheap enough rates to even make it worthwhile for a full membership (get gym, pilates classes, pool access, etc).

    Just that I will need a car for work - *HOWEVER* I could get away with catching a taxi for anything that I truly needed for onsite work.

    Car situation might be solved too. A family member mentioned last night (completely unprovoked) that they have a '94 Camry which has done Grandpa k's which could be getting parked for up to 2 years.

    Thanks for all the suggestions, particularly the 'bath in a bowl' suggestions, really useful.

  6. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005

    Go the taxi, however I would say that. I'm not a big fan of driving.

  7. parawolf

    parawolf New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2006
    What I think i'll end up doing is ride on days which I think I won't need the car, and if it comes to it, i'll take a taxi. I mean i've done 952km of training this month alone without commuting a single day to my current job.

    Looks like I might be converting the flat bar to a drop bar and putting panniers on it ;)

    But I think i've gotten over every 'hurdle' for this new job. Just gotta come down to bargining.

  8. petulance

    petulance Guest

    On Jan 31, 10:24 am, "thefathippy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Jan 31, 9:07 am, "petulance" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > The 2.0 litre non-turbo Imprezas (MY01 onwards)
    > > are a bit underpowered, IMHO. I hear that the pre 2001 models are
    > > better because they have the same engine but weigh 100kg less.

    > 2006(?) saw the introduction of the 2.0 R model (different motor) -
    > which (having owned both) definitely has more poke than what's now
    > sold as the 2.0 i model. The "wagon" version has much more space for
    > bikes.

    Ah yes, the 2.0R which replaced the 2.5 RS. The smaller engine has
    more power (118kw vs 112kW) but less torque.
    I like Subie hatches because they are more like mini-wagons.

    Was fuel consumption in the 2.0R much higher than in the 2.0i?

    > But my bike transport is an 88 sportswagon. It doesn't have any
    > poke - none at all (and less if the A/C is on), but does keep up with
    > traffic.

    None at all? And less if the A/C is on? What is lesser than none at
    all?

    :)

    Getting OT now but the bug-eyed Impreza was sold with a 1.6 litre
    engine in the Malaysian (and possibly Singaporean) market. I shudder
    to think of how little grunt that version has.

    OK, steering this topic back to bikes, I find it ironic that the only
    reason I am after a car is to get back into mountain biking ...

  9. EuanB

    EuanB New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 11, 2005
    Funny, Philip went the other way with his S-Works, mind you his commute's a short 12ks http://www.spinopsys.com/archives/817

    Don't that look nice in a wrong kind of way? :)

  10. petulance

    petulance Guest

    On Jan 31, 3:07 pm, EuanB <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > parawolf Wrote:
    >
    > > Looks like I might be converting the flat bar to a drop bar and putting
    > > panniers on it ;)

    > Funny, Philip went the other way with his S-Works, mind you his
    > commute's a short 12kshttp://www.spinopsys.com/archives/817
    >
    > Don't that look nice in a wrong kind of way? :)
    >
    > --
    > EuanB

    The horror! it is wrong, oh so wrong ...

    My S-Works wouldn't put up with that kind of treatment ... but then
    again she's a demanding princess ...

    :p

  11. Fractal

    Fractal Guest

    "Bleve" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Jan 30, 8:54 am, parawolf <[email protected]
    >
    > I don't own a car, I have a can of destinkorant at my main client site
    > (22km from home), and a change of clothes. I get to work, after
    > taking the last k or so pretty easy, sit down for 10 mins or so to
    > cool down, then get changed.
    >
    > No worries ...

    Agree, a lot of bus and train commuters and probably car drivers and walkers
    also arrive hot and sweaty at work, particularly in a Sydney summer, but
    they dont change, or not mostly. So is a shower really necessary? Nice if
    you have one at work but if not stand in front of a decent office fan/ a/c
    downdraught for a few minutes to cool you down and then change. I reckon I
    last to about 2 or 3 pm before maybe getting a bit smelly, but is that any
    different from other people who dont cycle? Research needed on this topic.

    Actually I think the problem is that when you cycle to work you usually
    arrive not too sweaty because of the evaporation effect of riding, but as
    soon as you get off and enter the office you can break out in a huge sweat.
    this is embarrassing, so everyone feels they should be having a shower.

  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 04:18:26 -0800, Bleve wrote:

    > junk miles are miles with no quality - eg: you've done a few intervals
    > or something, and have clocked up 95km, but you want to be able to put
    > 100km in your diary, so you ride around in circles for 5km (we've all
    > done it :) ).

    Weirdo. I have a good idea how far it is to home and vary my route
    accordingly. Last time I had to make up the 100km mark I ended up climbing
    out of Bobbin Head at 95km, and that was interesting on legs that were
    out of condition.

    Commute ks can get you fit. My training regime a couple of years ago was
    "ride as fast as you can to work, ride as fast as you can home, wonder why
    you hurt the next day" a few days a week. It probably wasn't as effective
    as a structured training programme, but it was easy to incorporate into my
    life, fun, and I did get fitter and faster. It also meant I got lots of
    practice continuing to ride when I was knackered, which was good practice
    for enduro MTB events.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Good Night Wesley, see you tomorrow.

  13. Dave

    Dave Guest

    On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:02:29 +0000, beerwolf wrote:

    > Sitting on a train or bus, you're not watching a speedo and trying to
    > beat your previous best time.

    On some Tangaras you can see the speedo (and what I presume is a power
    meter for the drive motors). And you're not being competitive enough if
    you're not always trying to get a PB (woohoo, 3 grannies bowled onto the
    tracks getting off today!)

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    The trick to flying is to throw yourself at the ground and miss

  14. FlashGordon

    FlashGordon Guest

    Hi,

    For 10 years I've worked somewhere were there has been a show. My new job
    started 3 years ago and there was no shower. they did say that they may
    consider putting one in (which they did after about 6 months).

    To shower I used a large plastic box and took my battery shower to work.
    Filled a portable bucket with hot water and showered in the cisten closet
    between the male and female toilets. Got it down to a fine art of not
    spilling any water while washing, sahving and shampooing my hair all with 5
    litres of water. When the shower did come I kind of missed the challenge of
    water conservation etc.

    My requirement for changing jobs was job satisfaction and a shower or at
    least an employer who was sympathetic to cyclists - they spent a samll
    fortune (had to remodell the male toilets inlcuding new plumbing) putting in
    the shower where I was the only one usng it for the first year. Now there
    are 2 others (out of 50 staff) who use it regularly.

    Gordon

    "RobWoozle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Well, I have a Yaris and if you want a good deal on buying it let me
    > know (I'm serious).
    >
    > In terms of bicycle transport it is very good. THe rear seats fold
    > completely flat and my bikes fit in easily (sans front wheel
    > naturally).
    >
    > As for the showers, I worked with a guy who "washed" in a sink every
    > morning when he came into work. Probably easier to go for a ride
    > before going home!
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Rob

  15. jur

    jur New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Problem for me is the dried sweat feels sticky. I have discovered deodorant REALLY works. I used to use a 'natural' product deodorant without aluminium or whatever in it and that stank (pun intended). I mean if your head swims from your OWN BO, then it's gotta be serious. Switched back to the usual stuff and what a difference. But the stickyness is too much of an annoyance to just ignore.

  16. On Jan 30, 8:54 am, parawolf <[email protected]
    mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
    > How do you (if at all) handle working in a location that does not offer
    > shower facilities? I've been head hunted for a position at a place that
    > I know quite of a few people, however they have no shower facilities and
    > no bike facilites what so ever.
    >
    > Also this place of employment is about 30km one way from my house, so
    > it could turn out that if I commuted anyway that the large time on the
    > bike could turn into junk k's, and potentially could require to be
    > transporting a laptop and gear.
    >
    > Currently I do not own a car, and this new job would require one (not a
    > bad thing, they pay an allowance for it). So that at least could then
    > give me some freedom to put the bike in the car to/from work and then
    > do some proper training runs (say Tuesday night crit's at Sandown with
    > CCCC), to boost the 'quality' of training time rather than potentially
    > large junk k's with commuting.
    >
    > So how do you deal with the shower issue? and what kind of car would
    > you as a cyclist get (assume ~$40k new), i'm thinking second
    > hand/ex-demo, and what is perking my mind is something like a Toyota
    > Yaris or splash out a bit and get a VW Polo GTI. The best car in the
    > range, and very popular with cyclists appears to be the Subaru
    > Liberty/Outback/Forester. Good cars, just expensive.
    >
    > --
    > parawolf

    Wash yourself in the kitchen. Then see how long it takes them to
    provide a shower.

    phillip brown

  17. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    In the light of that, I should remember those showering lessons learnt back in '98 when Longford went bang. One kettle, two buckets, two face washers and a towel, remained quite clean for about a fortnight when Melbourne had limited gas supplies. ;)

  18. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-01-29, parawolf (aka Bruce)
    > How do you (if at all) handle working in a location that does not offer
    > shower facilities? I've been head hunted for a position at a place that
    > I know quite of a few people, however they have no shower facilities and
    > no bike facilites what so ever.

    <mode="facetious">
    Ride, don't have a shower, and wait until all the workplace union
    fields so many complaints that they insist on paying for the showers
    themselves.
    </mode>

    > Currently I do not own a car, and this new job would require one (not a
    > bad thing, they pay an allowance for it). So that at least could then
    > give me some freedom to put the bike in the car to/from work and then
    > do some proper training runs (say Tuesday night crit's at Sandown with
    > CCCC), to boost the 'quality' of training time rather than potentially
    > large junk k's with commuting.

    Since when was commuting junk k's? I found 100km of commuting a week
    was great training for the lower grades of racing.

    > So how do you deal with the shower issue? and what kind of car would
    > you as a cyclist get (assume ~$40k new),

    One with 2 wheels. If I pass my probation here, I'm seriously
    thinking of obtaining said and license for said, and renting one of
    the houses on the mountain. 100m commute to the telescope, but 60km
    round trip to the corner shops.

    --
    TimC
    Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons -- Simpsons

  19. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-01-29, petulance (aka Bruce)
    > A Forester shares the same platform as the Impreza. The Outback is a
    > raised version of the Liberty with slightly better undercarriage
    > protection (not that you want to take it bush bashing though).
    >
    > You have to ask yourself if you really need a wagon. I haven't driven
    > an Outback or Liberty before, but the Imprezas and Foresters are nice
    > small cars to drive.

    SMALL!? FORESTER?! Mum got a second hand one a couple of years ago.
    Works well, but big horrible thing.

    Fscking humungous. I just came back from a week in Siderney (and saw
    Suzi Jackson's commuter this morning as I was leaving. Sexy!),
    driving a huge stationwagon. Horrible thing to park out in the back
    CSIRO/AAO carpark. Still, I don't feel entirely guilty having driven
    it -- it was full when it came back.

    > Subarus apart, any hatchback should do. If you want the extra space in
    > the back then you can consider getting roof rack carriers or a tow
    > ball carrier. I was always hesitant driving about town with 2 bikes on
    > the tow ball carrier but I haven't managed to ding my bikes yet.

    It's funny. People tell me of their new $40k suburu SUV, and how it
    fits a bike, and my '81 mitsushi colt hatchback, that could drive from
    Mildura to Melbourne on a single tank could fit the bike without
    taking the front wheel off.

    --
    TimC
    "The Internet is the most powerful stupidity amplifier ever invented.

  20. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-01-31, FlashGordon (aka Bruce)
    > My requirement for changing jobs was job satisfaction and a shower or at
    > least an employer who was sympathetic to cyclists - they spent a samll
    > fortune (had to remodell the male toilets inlcuding new plumbing) putting in
    > the shower where I was the only one usng it for the first year.

    Did you stink that much? ;P

    --
    TimC
    The other day I overheard that a friend of the family had called their