Handling problems: indexed headset at fault?

Hi all,
I have some slight handling problems with my hybrid bike.
(Bear with me: English is not my mother tongue.) My bike feels as if it
slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
"wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
micro-jerkyness?).
I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?
I am reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling
problems I would do it.

Thanks in advance

On 18 Apr 2006 02:52:15 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi all,
>I have some slight handling problems with my hybrid bike.
>(Bear with me: English is not my mother tongue.) My bike feels as if it
>slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
>even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
>every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
>"wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
>micro-jerkyness?).
>I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
>lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?

Maybe -- but when the headset is like that, the problem feels not so
much like "jerkiness." Instead the bike tends to want to swoop to one
side or the other. It doesn't self-correct to go straight so well.

>I am reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling
>problems I would do it.

If you have the tools, you could try removing and reinstalling the
headset cups. The indents won't line up and the headset will work
better for a short while. If that makes the problem go away, then
replacing the headset if probably the best thing to do.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

> On 18 Apr 2006 02:52:15 -0700, "[email protected]" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
>>I have some slight handling problems with my hybrid bike.
>>(Bear with me: English is not my mother tongue.) My bike feels as if it
>>slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
>>even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
>>every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
>>"wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
>>micro-jerkyness?).
>>I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
>>lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?

> Maybe -- but when the headset is like that, the problem feels not so
> much like "jerkiness." Instead the bike tends to want to swoop to one
> side or the other. It doesn't self-correct to go straight so well.
>
>>I am reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling
>>problems I would do it.

> If you have the tools, you could try removing and reinstalling the
> headset cups. The indents won't line up and the headset will work
> better for a short while. If that makes the problem go away, then
> replacing the headset if probably the best thing to do.

Or if the headset is cup and cone using a bearing cage, have a look at the
cage and see if there are spaces between the balls. If so, you can try
replacing with loose balls to see if you can fit any extra. Depending on the
design of the cage this may or may not be possible. I once resurrected a
cheap headset that had become indexed for several extra years of unindexed
use by replacing the 15 caged balls, which had considerable gaps between
them, with about two dozen loose balls.

Nick

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have some slight handling problems with my hybrid bike.
> (Bear with me: English is not my mother tongue.) My bike feels as if it
> slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
> even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
> every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
> "wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
> micro-jerkyness?).
> I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
> lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?
> I am reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling
> problems I would do it.
>
> Thanks in advance

Forgive me if you've already checked this, but it sounds like it might
be slightly loose cones in the hubs. A small amount of side-play in
the hubs could give you that "micro-jerkiness" (that's a great
description, by the way). If the cones are properly adjusted, you
might check the grease - is there enough, or are the hubs getting dry?

Josh

[email protected] wrote:

> My bike feels as if it
> slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
> even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
> every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
> "wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
> micro-jerkyness?).
> I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
> lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?

I doubt that a slightly "indexed" headset would cause what you are
describing. If the bike seems to be pulling to one side, the frame or
fork may be out of alignment. Or it could just be nervousness on your
part. Try not to tense up. Relax, bend your elbows, and don't grip the
bars too tightly.

Art Harris

"Art Harris" <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> My bike feels as if it
>> slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
>> even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
>> every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
>> "wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
>> micro-jerkyness?).
>> I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
>> lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?

>I doubt that a slightly "indexed" headset would cause what you are
>describing. If the bike seems to be pulling to one side, the frame or
>fork may be out of alignment. Or it could just be nervousness on your
>part. Try not to tense up. Relax, bend your elbows, and don't grip the
>bars too tightly.

Good advice. Also, wind can cause the same effect.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

I had these exact symptoms caused by a set of tires I tried over the
winter. The rear tire would not track straight, but built up some sort
of asymmetrical stress or force which released with a tiny but
noticeable sideways hop/slide every so many yards. This produced the
"subtle feeling of instability" you describe. Since the only thing new
was the tires, I changed them out and the problem disappeared. I
suggest some sort of tire/wheel/hub problem as your culprit.

Alan

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 02:52:15 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

> I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
> lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?
> I am reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling
> problems I would do it.

The only problem I ever had with an indexed headset was when trying to
ride no-hands. But, if yours is bad enough, it might cause some trouble.
Other things to look for:

Frame alignment. Best checked by a shop that does framebuilding.

Brake/shifter cables interfering with steering -- either too short, so
they pull the bars one way, too long, which can push them and just
restrict motion, or possibly just preventing smooth motion of the bars.

Out-of dish wheel, or badly out of true wheel.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

In article
<[email protected]>,

> Hi all,
> I have some slight handling problems with my hybrid bike.
> (Bear with me: English is not my mother tongue.) My bike feels as if it
> slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
> even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
> every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
> "wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
> micro-jerkyness?).
> I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
> lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?
> I am reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling
> problems I would do it.

If it is a mystery problem with handling, assume the
worst. Your frame may be cracked. Thorough inspection. Two
likely places:

* seat tube - bottom bracket joint
* head tube - down tube joint

Inspect all joints, stem, bars. Do not dismiss any idea
that comes to mind. What about the hubs?

--
Michael Press

F? Cozzi writes:

> I have some slight handling problems with my hybrid bike. My bike
> feels as if it slightly skids sideways, especially when going
> downhill and coasting, even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like
> I hit some bits of gravel every now and then, even if the tarmac is
> perfectly clean. It is not a "wobble", more a subtle feeling of
> instability (maybe micro-jerkyness?).

> I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
> lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem? I am
> reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling problems
> I would do it.

Dimple in the head bearing races are only a nuisance and cause some
chatter when braking lightly on rough roads. Unless you try to adjust
that local clearance away, which causes binding when steering off
center, this will have no effect on handling. It may be disconcerting
to listen to the chattering head bearing but that is not a functional
problem.

> Thanks in advance

Thanks, (is good enough)

Jobst Brandt

I had similar symptoms and also wondered about the headset. I replaced
it and the odd feeling didn't go away. After another couple thousand
miles I had the (steel) frame break at the junction of the right
chainstay and the dropout, while climbing. The micro-jerkiness
suddenly became macro-jerkiness. So now I wonder if those early, vague
feelings of instability were actually due to a growing crack.

I'd double-check the play in the hubs, check for loose spokes, and
also make sure none of the spokes are going slack when you're full
weight is on the bike.... but you might also want to pay some close
attention to the frame especially if it's seen a lot of heavy use.
Look for cracked paint on or near the joins.

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have some slight handling problems with my hybrid bike.
> (Bear with me: English is not my mother tongue.) My bike feels as if it
> slightly skids sideways, especially when going downhill and coasting,
> even at moderate speed (15mph). It feels like I hit some bits of gravel
> every now and then, even if the tarmac is perfectly clean. It is not a
> "wobble", more a subtle feeling of instability (maybe
> micro-jerkyness?).
> I am not able to find any fault with the bike, except for a very
> lightly indexed headset. Could it be the cause of the problem?
> I am reluctant to replace it, but if it could solve the handling
> problems I would do it.
>
> Thanks in advance

Try this:

Remove the rear wheel. Hold the locknuts in your hands and give the
wheel a spin. Does it feel rough/uneven/"catchy"? Is there play in the
axle? If all is well, try the same with the front wheel.