Hands and wrists hurt...

ptlwp

Oct 6, 2005
I have nice gloves to wear with gel, but I am holding on so tight that my wrists and hands get sore, after just a short ride, Trek FX7300, otherwise, I love the bike.

Any ideas, other than to just "relax?" I like having the gear shifters mounted under the handlebars, than in the grips themselves.

Try raising your bars a bit. This will get some of the weight off of your hands. Also, move your hands around periodically to give them time to rest.

ptlwp said:
I have nice gloves to wear with gel, but I am holding on so tight that my wrists and hands get sore, after just a short ride, Trek FX7300, otherwise, I love the bike.

Any ideas, other than to just "relax?" I like having the gear shifters mounted under the handlebars, than in the grips themselves.

Seat is too low,frame is too long, stem is too long or wrong angle.????? In other words have someone with experience take a look at your postion on the bike.
IT could be a # of things.

Make sure you don't lock up your elbow as all the road sock will travel to the contact point at your hand and the bar. Keep flexed in the elbows, loose in the sholders.

And stop crushing the bar for goodness sake it's not going anywhere.

jhuskey is right, the immediate cause is too much weight on your wrists, but this can be caused by any or all of many improper-for-you seat, bar, and stem adjustments. stop by at your lbs and have the person look at your riding posture.
another problem is that on straight bars there is really only one hand position available. try adding some bar ends for a different grip position. and not all gel gloves are created equal; 98% have about the same minimum amount of gel down near your wrist. look for a mtb pair with a huge mound of gel.

;)

I am going to do just that, but not til I have ridden this bike for a month, at least; today it felt better.....so it might be that I am just adjusting to this type of handlebar..so, I will let it go a bit before making any adjustments, quite yet....then I will take it to the lbs for adjustments anyway....I am moving my wrists around more, and this is helping, too.

ptlwp said:
I am going to do just that, but not til I have ridden this bike for a month, at least; today it felt better.....so it might be that I am just adjusting to this type of handlebar..so, I will let it go a bit before making any adjustments, quite yet....then I will take it to the lbs for adjustments anyway....I am moving my wrists around more, and this is helping, too.
Are you running flat bars? I had the same problem and a mate suggested fitting risers and it worked a treat for me plus i felt more in control of the bike witch helped me to relax more.

EX2 said:
Are you running flat bars? I had the same problem and a mate suggested fitting risers and it worked a treat for me plus i felt more in control of the bike witch helped me to relax more.
Yes, flat bars.....

artmichalek said:
Try raising your bars a bit. This will get some of the weight off of your hands. Also, move your hands around periodically to give them time to rest.
yaaaa ....right.......nice

Watch your shoulders! I have had similar problems on both my road and mountain bike - both fitted by a pro - still no solution. My occupation causes my pecs to tighten and back muscles to stretch - massage therapist noticed my shoulders forward of where they should be - worked the muscles in the shoulder/pecs and has seemed to alleviate the problem. Now I focus on keeping my shoulders back and pecs get extra stretching.

When I first got my bike I started to get numbness and tingling in my fingers. I suspected that the bars were too low. I took it to a bike shop and got it fit properly (the place I bought it from didn't fit it other than seat height). They raised my handlebars and moved my seat forward a bit. No more problems. Because I don't have the lower back strength yet, I had too much weight on my arms. Basically, my arms were holding the weight of my entire upper-body. By raising the bars and moving the seat forward, I'm seated a bit more upright, and therefore moved some of my upper-body weight onto the seat.

EX2 said:
I concur with this. I cannot ride straight bars. They are not ergonomically designed. They put a strain on the outside of your wrists. I find that bars with a slight rise, and a slight curve back toward you make for the most comfortable ride for your wrists.

I will get a sore wrist if I drop off a lot of curbs and let my wrists take the shock. You have to develop a technique for handleing this type of problem. It's the sudden jarring of the front that is the worst punishment to your arems.

I have moved the seat up a bit and this has helped; I am going to the shop and have them take a look see about raising the handlebars. I am doing better with just an adjustment to the seat but I might need to raise the handlebars just a bit as I have a long torso, female wise.

But they don't anymore!!! All I had to do was take it to the shop and they pivoted the seat properly so that I wasn't downsloped so much that my wrists hurt and my butt was the worse for it also.

Now, I get a great ride, on a bike I enjoy and I'll drink to that (Pepsi, anyway).

:p :p