Hands fall asleep?

lauren1097

Jun 8, 2004
Just started biking again and got a new bike last week, Trek 1000 and have been riding around 9 miles everyday. My left hand has been falling asleep and the fingers tingling a lot. Is there any type of adjustment I can make that will keep this from happening or am I just not used to riding thats what causing it. I don't wear gloves either, could this be the problem?

Also, Could i get some advice on saddles? I really think I need one with a cutout slot in the middle as I am experiencing some pain down in the middle behind my scrotum. Sorry for being so blunt but it really hurts there.

Thanks

I had the same problem with my old bike, which had an aluminum frame. Aluminum is very stiff, and can transmit a good deal of road vibration to your hands.

Gloves would be a good start. The ones with extra padding in the heels of the hand are especially nice.

Also, try changing your hand position on the bar every few minutes or so. That's the cool thing about a road bike: there are so many different places to put your hands on the bar. Good luck!

Originally posted by lauren1097
Just started biking again and got a new bike last week, Trek 1000 and have been riding around 9 miles everyday. My left hand has been falling asleep and the fingers tingling a lot. Is there any type of adjustment I can make that will keep this from happening or am I just not used to riding thats what causing it. I don't wear gloves either, could this be the problem?

Also, Could i get some advice on saddles? I really think I need one with a cutout slot in the middle as I am experiencing some pain down in the middle behind my scrotum. Sorry for being so blunt but it really hurts there.

Thanks

Congrats on the new bike!

What your experiencing in both places is common. Especially if you're fairly new to road riding. I'd be interested in hearing if anyone knows about a fitting issue that could increase the likeliness of hand-numbing, but I know that as you put on the miles the problem will decrease. Well-padded gloves make a significant difference though.

As for that area behind your scrotum; Yup, totally normal. Miles in the saddle will help decrease this as well. However, a good pair of biking shorts are essential.

Without seeing you on the bike, the only thing I would suggest is the following. Make sure that your seat is level, or slightly tilted upwards. Counter intuitive for the "taint" pain, but it helps you sit back on the wider part of the saddle, and shifts your weight back a bit to avoid over stressing your wrists. Make little changes, and ride a few miles, repeat as needed until you feel a positive change. I'd definitely try this before buying lots of things you may not need.

Thanks

I get same deal after 3miles and then about every 1 mile too. Try riding on the hoods more, or plain an simple just pull one hand off and squeeze it and release several times. Then flick same hand around side to side. Repeat squeezes.

Do this on each hand, every mile (or so depends on you I guess) and pain will be gone.

Tingling Hands: check your position at a reputable LBS. Maybe your stem is too low and you are putting too much weight on your hands ('slumping' forward). Get a nice pair of riding gloves. Change hand positions often!

Butt pain: when you start, you will have some discomfort and pain - after all, you have not been sitting on a bike seat for a very long time. Again, fit could be part of the culprit!

As for seats, each butt is different, so what fits me could be excruciatingly painful for you.

For what it's worth, I continue to ride on a San Marco Rolls. Big, heavy, low-tech by modern standards, but I love it. And so does my butt. :)

A lot of people swear by the new Fizik Airone, although at around 85 Euro it is not cheap!

Welcome to riding!

I've always had luck double wrapping my handle bars with cork strips. The thicker grip seems to stop my hands from tingling/falling asleep.

Originally posted by Trekker2017
I've always had luck double wrapping my handle bars with cork strips. The thicker grip seems to stop my hands from tingling/falling asleep.

Sure that will work. But most people only double-wrap when they do the Paris-Roubaix cycloturiste! Special circumstances aside (regular riding on very rough roads, specific health issues, etc), it shouldn't be necessary to double-wrap! ;)

Happy riding all!

This is a circulation problem, possibly caused by lack of stability on the wrists.

Best way to improve wrist strength and circulation to hands is press ups on finger tips, which spread the tendons and build muscle.

I agree with the changing hand positions often. I do just for comfort reasons & the many hand positions available.

I also move around alot on the seat since not 1 position stays comfortable for any length of time.

BTW Trekker where in CT you located. I'm in the Hartford area.

Originally posted by wyllisx2
I agree with the changing hand positions often. I do just for comfort reasons & the many hand positions available.

I also move around alot on the seat since not 1 position stays comfortable for any length of time.

BTW Trekker where in CT you located. I'm in the Hartford area.

I'm located over near Danbury. However,I'm getting my Masters in American Studies at Trinity in Harford. I'll be working on my thesis starting in July. Know any good rides along the Connecticut River in Tobacco country?

Well I don't ride in Hfd per se. Also the area that Trinity is in is a bit rough. The campus is beautiful though. I played on a softball team a few years ago & we played on their fields. Locked the cars up tight as could be though.

If you get outside Hfd there a many great on & off road rides. I live in Windsor & ride many of the flatter areas, I hate hills.

Hey btw I saw on another thread you go to Senor Panchos. When I was bike shopping at Cycle Fitness last week I almost stopped in for lunch there. But Monroe is a bit of a drive for lunch.

Thanks
Wish I had encouraging news but I don't. My hands go numb and the only thing I can do about it is change positions on the bar very frequently. To date I've tried 5 different types of gloves but it doesn't seem to matter. Part of my problem may be related to upper body weight. I'm a heavier rider and the extra weight puts extra pressure on the nerves in my hands.

As far as the saddles go, I think they all suck. I've tried 7 different saddles in the past year and every one of them starts to hurt after about an hour. I try to change my sitting position while riding but the results are the same.

The seats I've tried either tend to hurt my sit bones or that special area you described so eloquently. Two of the most painful saddles I have are Specialized Body Geometry. By the end of a 2 hour ride I'm hurting pretty bad and am glad to call it quits, otherwise I could continue riding.

Other than hand numbness, **** pain and foot pain, I could ride 100 miles already. I have the stamina. Just can't tolerate the pain in those other areas. It sucks! :mad:

Doc I read recently on another thread that some people use comfort bike seats on thier roadies for just this problem. They all say it looks stupid when they're off the bike but noone can see it when they are riding. They also report it is quite comfy.

Originally posted by Doctor Morbius
Wish I had encouraging news but I don't. My hands go numb and the only thing I can do about it is change positions on the bar very frequently. To date I've tried 5 different types of gloves but it doesn't seem to matter. Part of my problem may be related to upper body weight. I'm a heavier rider and the extra weight puts extra pressure on the nerves in my hands.

As far as the saddles go, I think they all suck. I've tried 7 different saddles in the past year and every one of them starts to hurt after about an hour. I try to change my sitting position while riding but the results are the same.

The seats I've tried either tend to hurt my sit bones or that special area you described so eloquently. Two of the most painful saddles I have are Specialized Body Geometry. By the end of a 2 hour ride I'm hurting pretty bad and am glad to call it quits, otherwise I could continue riding.

Other than hand numbness, **** pain and foot pain, I could ride 100 miles already. I have the stamina. Just can't tolerate the pain in those other areas. It sucks! :mad:

Doc.

This is interesting. I think my Specialized Telluride body geometry saddle is very comfortable. I have been on two 50+ mile rides and the saddle was the least painful part of the ride for me.

The few times that I have riden with out biking shorts for short distances I noticed that the saddle was not as comfortable. For me wearing bike shorts (lycra) without underware is the key to comfort.

Consider NO Gloves. Soon as I ditched mine, hand pain got way better. I'm VERY heavy, so I'm sure that's a big part of my problem.

Two things I learned on my bike...First was that when I raised my saddle to provide for proper leg extension that I needed, I needed to raise my handbars. I was putting way too much pressure on my hands and wrists.

The second thing I discovered last year was that I tend to "turtle" when I'm on the bike. I pull my shoulders up towards my ears and it causes tension in my shoulders, neck and down my arms. I started trying to pay attention to my body posture and it's gone a long way to making my rides a lot more comfortable. For me it's a sure sign that I'm riding "too tight" when my hands start to tingle. It's time to check the posture and usually drop my shoulders and loosen up a minute.

Originally posted by pcs_ronbo
Consider NO Gloves. Soon as I ditched mine, hand pain got way better. I'm VERY heavy, so I'm sure that's a big part of my problem.
I used to not wear gloves. That is until I had a little accident. I fell over on the bike after going through some bushes and when I landed my right hand was sliced open on a guard rail where it was just coming out of the ground. As I remember (it was spring 1994) it cost me about $270 and I had my hand bandaged up for several weeks while the stitches were healing. The Dr. in the ER said that I almost lost the use of my pinky because the cut was that close to the nerve. The scrub down was pretty painful too because there was grass and a few rocks in the wound! I don't want to repeat that experience. :D

One thing I've found that helps with hand numbness is when I reach out and hold onto the bar ends. Yes, yes, I ride an MTB. :eek: Sorry if I've offended anyone. My appologies.

Originally posted by jimbooffa
Doc.

This is interesting. I think my Specialized Telluride body geometry saddle is very comfortable. I have been on two 50+ mile rides and the saddle was the least painful part of the ride for me.

The few times that I have riden with out biking shorts for short distances I noticed that the saddle was not as comfortable. For me wearing bike shorts (lycra) without underware is the key to comfort.
Thanks. I'm looking for a new saddle. If I find one I like I'll use it for both bikes. My road and MTB both use a 27.2mm seatpost. My Specialized Sequoia came with a BG Milano, but it's nothing too great either. Perhaps I'll try going Commando as you suggest!! ;)

Doc,

I started riding about 5 months ago, initially as I was roped into a 50 mile charity ride for a local Children's hospice. Not being althletic, I was seen as as a good sponsorship revenue earner. I'm not the slimest nor fittest guy on the block and hadn't been in the saddle for nearly 20 years. After the first couple of weeks of training I was hooked. I bought a Mountain Bike, initially, as I thought all that suspension and springy seats would be good. To be honest it was, but after the 50 miler, and doing 15-20 miles a night, it soon became apparent to me that a Mountain bike is like an SUV, big, comfortable, capable off-road, but no use whatsoever on road. So I bought I Raleigh Chimera road bike. For the first 2 weeks the numb hands pain was excruciating. All I can say is - move your hands all over the bar. If it gets to the point were you have no feeling. Stop and just rub your hands together - it works. I've had the road bike for a about 2 months now and go out nearly every night for a 15 - 20 miler. My hands still hurt, but not to the point were I have no feeling left in my fingertips anymore. I did 60 miles last week on the Liverpool to Chester and back run, and no bad feeling in my hands whatsoever. Although the top of my thighs ached somewhat!

Just perservere. It does go away as your wrists get stronger.