"Hands-free bike phones'

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Michael Press, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.


  1. Michael Press wrote:
    >
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=4&u=/nm/20040217/tc_nm
    /telecoms_orange_bicycle_dc

    I'd like to see how that works. I've tried using my Jabra bluetooth headset on the bike, but all the
    windnoice on the mike makes it impossible to talk without stopping. Has anybody come up with any
    solutions to this?

    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
     
  2. >Has anybody come up with any solutions to this?
    >

    Don't talk on the cell phone while riding.

    If you have to use it, stop and get off and make your calls.

    I have had at least two bikers talking on their cell phones headed my way on a trail, and it is
    scary as heck wondering whether or not they are paying any attention to me or the road they are on.

    http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

    http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)
     
  3. On 18 Feb 2004 03:00:15 GMT, [email protected] (Denver C. Fox) wrote:

    >>Has anybody come up with any solutions to this?
    >>
    >
    >Don't talk on the cell phone while riding.
    >
    >If you have to use it, stop and get off and make your calls.

    a cyclist on a mobile phone without an appropriate handsfree kit is a major problem. They are either
    riding one-hand or cradling the phone awkwardly with one shoulder, adding instability to
    inattention.

    The thread is about a wireless handsfree kit, however, which would solve at least part of the
    problem. The pro cycling teams appear to use a similar set-up for two-way radio for communication
    between the DS and the various team-members, and I haven't seen or heard of a crash in that
    particularly hectic environment that could be attributable to the use of such a device.

    It's still not an ideal thing to have happen--as a general rule, I find that when I'm in motion with
    a mobile phone, whether driving a car or on a bicycle, an incoming call will usually happen at the
    worst possible moment: left turns, merges, and other things that require me to concentrate.

    -Luigi

    >
    >I have had at least two bikers talking on their cell phones headed my way on a trail, and it is
    >scary as heck wondering whether or not they are paying any attention to me or the road they are on.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)
    >
    >http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)
     
  4. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 22:09:15 -0500, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> from
    Cox Communications wrote:

    >a cyclist on a mobile phone without an appropriate handsfree kit is a major problem. They are
    >either riding one-hand or cradling the phone awkwardly with one shoulder, adding instability to
    >inattention.

    Sometimes I ride my fixed gear no hands with the cell in one hand and a coffee cup in the other. I
    love America!

    --
    [email protected]
    Emphasize differences.
    36
     
  5. Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    : Sometimes I ride my fixed gear no hands with the cell in one hand and a coffee cup in the other. I
    : love America!

    see how handy a fixed gear is. you can still brake!

    do you have a handle-bar mounted coffee cup holder (kind of like the ones in the old tour de
    france)? there's a drive-thru espresso stand right next to my apartment and on the way to work
    that'd be awfully nice.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  6. Kevan Smith

    Kevan Smith Guest

    On 18 Feb 2004 06:06:41 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]> from VISI.com
    wrote:

    >Kevan Smith <[email protected]> wrote:
    >: Sometimes I ride my fixed gear no hands with the cell in one hand and a coffee cup in the other.
    >: I love America!
    >
    >see how handy a fixed gear is. you can still brake!

    And float intersections. I know it's wrong, but it's so zen.

    >do you have a handle-bar mounted coffee cup holder (kind of like the ones in the old tour de
    >france)? there's a drive-thru espresso stand right next to my apartment and on the way to work
    >that'd be awfully nice.

    I'd like one of those, but momovelo seems to have gone kaput.

    --
    [email protected]
    Honor thy error as a hidden intention.
    29
     
  7. sdorrity

    sdorrity New Member

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2003
    Messages:
    79
    Likes Received:
    0
    how about one of these?

    [​IMG]

    (Not sure if this link will work if not I'll try again)

    Steve D
     
  8. Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > Michael Press wrote:
    >>
    >
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=4&u=/nm/20040217/tc_nm
    > /telecoms_orange_bicycle_dc
    >
    > I'd like to see how that works. I've tried using my Jabra bluetooth headset on the bike, but all
    > the windnoice on the mike makes it impossible to talk without stopping. Has anybody come up with
    > any solutions to this?

    Let's try again. Has anybody come up with a solution to a handsfree system that actually works? I
    know the pros are talking to each other, why can't we find a similar solution to our cellulars?
    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
     
  9. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

    >Let's try again. Has anybody come up with a solution to a handsfree system that actually works? I
    >know the pros are talking to each other, why can't we find a similar solution to our cellulars?

    what, you want to talk to pros on your cellular?

    "If you meet the Fab on the road, kill him!"
    --
    mac the naïf
     
  10. Alex Colvin <[email protected]> wrote:
    : "If you meet the Fab on the road, kill him!"

    this really should go without saying, but ..

    in order to do that, you'd have to catch him. and you won't. fabs is many things but he's not slow.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  11. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 18 Feb 2004 06:06:41 GMT, David Reuteler <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    >do you have a handle-bar mounted coffee cup holder (kind of like the ones

    These can be found on shopping carts at supermarkets such as Super Stop & Shop. They are
    rarely used, only present on some carts, and probably nobody would notice if one disappeared
    from it's cart.
    --
    Rick Onanian
     
  12. Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:
    : These can be found on shopping carts at supermarkets such as Super Stop & Shop. They are
    : rarely used, only present on some carts, and probably nobody would notice if one disappeared
    : from it's cart.

    good lord.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]
     
  13. Austinmn

    Austinmn Guest

    Kevan Smith wrote:
    >
    > Sometimes I ride my fixed gear no hands with the cell in one hand and a
    coffee
    > cup in the other. I love America!

    Now all you need is to apply makeup with a mirror while reading the newspaper, and you'll be
    qualified to drive a car on the interstates in most metropolitan areas of the US!

    Austin
     
  14. On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:42:08 GMT, "AustinMN" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Kevan Smith wrote:
    >>
    >> Sometimes I ride my fixed gear no hands with the cell in one hand and a
    >coffee
    >> cup in the other. I love America!
    >
    >Now all you need is to apply makeup with a mirror while reading the newspaper, and you'll be
    >qualified to drive a car on the interstates in most metropolitan areas of the US!

    I don't care about drivers driving that way on the interstate--I'm not cycling on the interstate.

    Now if they do that on my neighbourhood street....

    -Luigi an RPG-7 and ammunition costs less than a carbon-fiber bike.

    www.livejournal.com/users/ouij Photos, rants, raves

    >
    >Austin
     
  15. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    18 Feb 2004 06:06:41 GMT,
    <[email protected]>,
    David Reuteler <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >do you have a handle-bar mounted coffee cup holder (kind of like the ones in the old tour
    >de france)?

    I scored a chromed double one for a buck.
    --
    zk
     
  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > > Michael Press wrote:
    > >>
    > >
    > http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=4&u=/nm/20040217/tc_nm
    > > /telecoms_orange_bicycle_dc
    > >
    > > I'd like to see how that works. I've tried using my Jabra bluetooth headset on the bike, but all
    > > the windnoice on the mike makes it impossible to talk without stopping. Has anybody come up with
    > > any solutions to this?
    >
    > Let's try again. Has anybody come up with a solution to a handsfree system that actually works? I
    > know the pros are talking to each other, why can't we find a similar solution to our cellulars?

    Try harder:

    http://www.jabra.com/products/earset.htm

    This is a link to Jabra's original (and only truly original) product, the Jabra earset.

    The microphone is integrated (counterintuitively enough) into the earbud, and is thus completely
    inside your ear.

    It's also a lot cheaper these days than it used to be.

    It seems to get few, but mixed reviews: some people love 'em, but I couldn't find a review dealing
    specifically with using it in windy situations (motorcycles, bicycles).

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
     
  17. Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Per Elmsäter wrote:
    >>> Michael Press wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=4&u=/nm/20040217/tc_nm
    >>> /telecoms_orange_bicycle_dc
    >>>
    >>> I'd like to see how that works. I've tried using my Jabra bluetooth headset on the bike, but all
    >>> the windnoice on the mike makes it impossible to talk without stopping. Has anybody come up with
    >>> any solutions to this?
    >>
    >> Let's try again. Has anybody come up with a solution to a handsfree system that actually works? I
    >> know the pros are talking to each other, why can't we find a similar solution to our cellulars?
    >
    > Try harder:
    >
    > http://www.jabra.com/products/earset.htm
    >
    > This is a link to Jabra's original (and only truly original) product, the Jabra earset.
    >
    > The microphone is integrated (counterintuitively enough) into the earbud, and is thus completely
    > inside your ear.
    >
    > It's also a lot cheaper these days than it used to be.
    >
    > It seems to get few, but mixed reviews: some people love 'em, but I couldn't find a review dealing
    > specifically with using it in windy situations (motorcycles, bicycles).

    I knew I could trust you to take this matter serioulsy ;) Hmmm.. I've got the Jabra bluetooth and
    wireless. It definitely has the microphone placed different compared to the link you posted. I've
    been wondering if maybe I could put a small sock of foam over the microphone to take away the
    windnoise.
    --
    Perre

    You have to be smarter than a robot to reply.
     
  18. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Per Elmsäter wrote:
    > >>> Michael Press wrote:

    > >> Let's try again. Has anybody come up with a solution to a handsfree system that actually works?
    > >> I know the pros are talking to each other, why can't we find a similar solution to our
    > >> cellulars?

    > > http://www.jabra.com/products/earset.htm
    > >
    > > This is a link to Jabra's original (and only truly original) product, the Jabra earset.
    > >
    > > The microphone is integrated (counterintuitively enough) into the earbud, and is thus completely
    > > inside your ear.

    > > It seems to get few, but mixed reviews: some people love 'em, but I couldn't find a review
    > > dealing specifically with using it in windy situations (motorcycles, bicycles).
    >
    > I knew I could trust you to take this matter serioulsy ;) Hmmm.. I've got the Jabra bluetooth and
    > wireless. It definitely has the microphone placed different compared to the link you posted. I've
    > been wondering if maybe I could put a small sock of foam over the microphone to take away the
    > windnoise.

    I take it seriously because I seriously considered getting one of these when I was riding a
    motorcycle regularly, and again now that I have my bike (combined with a mobile phone and a
    good calling plan, this could make for a great race radio; it's also available for two-way
    radio systems).

    Finally, I was under the impression that the radios that most pros wore were one-way: easy
    communication from the team director, but not necessarily easy transmission. I may be wrong.

    --
    Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
     
  19. Austinmn

    Austinmn Guest

    Luigi de Guzman wrote:
    > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:42:08 GMT, "AustinMN" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Kevan Smith wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Sometimes I ride my fixed gear no hands with the cell in one hand and a
    > >coffee
    > >> cup in the other. I love America!
    > >
    > >Now all you need is to apply makeup with a mirror while reading the newspaper, and you'll be
    > >qualified to drive a car on the interstates in
    most
    > >metropolitan areas of the US!
    >
    > I don't care about drivers driving that way on the interstate--I'm not cycling on the interstate.
    >
    > Now if they do that on my neighbourhood street....
    >
    > -Luigi

    I recently moved from Boston to the greater Minneapolis-St. Paul area. I haven't lived here long
    enough to have seen it here, but drivers definitely did all of the above on city streets in Boston.

    Austin
    --
    I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...