"Hands-free bike phones'

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 06:36:45 -0800, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Finally, I was under the impression that the radios that most pros wore were one-way: easy
>communication from the team director, but not necessarily easy transmission. I may be wrong.

From what I can tell, the pros are using two-way radios with wired headsets for communication to the
DS. They are, however PTT and not vox; To communicate to the DS (rather than the other way around)
the rider must hit a PTT button and speak into a mic.....

-Luigi

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:

>>> http://www.jabra.com/products/earset.htm
>>>
>>> This is a link to Jabra's original (and only truly original) product, the Jabra earset.
>>>
>>> The microphone is integrated (counterintuitively enough) into the earbud, and is thus completely
>>> inside your ear.
>
>>> It seems to get few, but mixed reviews: some people love 'em, but I couldn't find a review
>>> dealing specifically with using it in windy situations (motorcycles, bicycles).
>>
>> I knew I could trust you to take this matter serioulsy ;) Hmmm.. I've got the Jabra bluetooth and
>> wireless. It definitely has the microphone placed different compared to the link you posted. I've
>> been wondering if maybe I could put a small sock of foam over the microphone to take away the
>> windnoise.
>
> I take it seriously because I seriously considered getting one of these when I was riding a
> motorcycle regularly, and again now that I have my bike (combined with a mobile phone and a good
> calling plan, this could make for a great race radio; it's also available for two-way radio
> systems).
>
> Finally, I was under the impression that the radios that most pros wore were one-way: easy
> communication from the team director, but not necessarily easy transmission. I may be wrong.

The two way radio transmission sounds interesting. I just did some testing this afternoon cycling to
the Gym. I could make phonecalls with the voice commands and answer by just pressing my ear. The
mobile phone was stuck way down in my backpack. It was kind of neat. I wasn't going very fast, just
cruising down city streets and my girlfriend said there was a wind noice but not real bad. If I
picked up speed it got worse. The hearing was awesome. It was very convenient to use and it felt no
worse than riding down the street talking to another rider.
http://www.jabra.com/products/FreeSpeak_Bluetooth.htm

You'll notice there is a mike sticking out and reaching towards the cheek. I was thinking maybe a
little windsock out of foam could be made for that.

--
Perre

crystal_tears_ wrote:
> Anybody who uses a mobile phone while cycling along on a bike is a bloody idiot.

Literally, quite likely.

Bill "cell-less" S.

crystal_tears_ wrote:
> Anybody who uses a mobile phone while cycling along on a bike is a bloody idiot.

I wonder if you'll remember those words twenty years from now?

--
Perre