Hands go to 'sleep' when riding...?

Paul McCarthy

Jul 2, 2006
Hello all,

I'm not a 'serious' rider, but I usually do 8 miles 3-4 times a week.

One thing I've noticed that's somewhat annoying is that my hands always seem to go to 'sleep' after riding for awhile... that is, they get tingly. The only thing I've been able to figure to do is to occasionally free one hand and move the wrist and fingers in various motions.

Is this a common issue with bikers? What can be done about it? Can it be prevented... somehow?

Thanks,

ive never had any trouble with my hand going to sleep AFTER a ride. but a little while ago my left hand would fall asleep after about 15 minutes in the drops. not good for a racer. but i heard a pro bike fitter tell me the when in the hoods, the rider should not see the front hub because the handlebar is blocking the view. i moved my saddle closer to the handlebar and that did the trick. now riding in the drop is much more comfy

I'm no bike expert either, but I noticed a couple times that my hands would start to go numb while riding. This only happens however when I've put too much pressure on one part of my hand (specifically on the bone/pad area below my thumb), and so I need to move my hand further up (closer to the gear/brake handles). It seems to spread more of my weight across my hand instead of straining one area.

They also only tend to get numb when I'm tensed up (high traffic, bad road, etc), and so I'm not paying as much attention to riding position.