Handy bike tools?

Dash01

Jun 20, 2006
I'll be heading to college (University of Washington) in a while so I figured I should start accumulating some handy tools for biking. That being said, other than basic Allen wrenches and sockets, what else should I have?

Thanks,
Eric

Dash01 said:
I'll be heading to college (University of Washington) in a while so I figured I should start accumulating some handy tools for biking. That being said, other than basic Allen wrenches and sockets, what else should I have?
Presuming you have a non-Campagnolo bike:
  • Bottom Bracket tool ... I recommend the LIFU because it is cheaper and better steel than the Park tool (yes, I have both!)
  • cassette tool & chain whip
  • 8mm Allen wrench and/or crank puller
  • 6"-or-larger adjustable wrench (to use with the BB tool & cassette tool)
Also:
  • cone wrenches IF your bike has Shimano hubs
  • spoke wrench (optional)
IMO, everyone should learn how to build their own wheels if only so they can true their wheels ... some people cause more trouble when trying to work on their wheels than they should; so, a spoke wrench is definitely optional.

BUT, perhaps the best thing you can buy may be:
  • a $15US wire "Y" workstand (not easy to find) or equivalent
If you have a Campagnolo equipped bike the Campagnolo OR "Lifu" (?) cassette tool is probably better than the Park cassette tool ... but, it costs twice as much and the "Lifu" one is impossible to find (but, will cost less than the Park tool).

Listen to this man.. learn to mess with these things yourself, itll save you money on stupid trips to the LBS where theyll charge u 10 bucks for some stupid ****.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish?

For day-to-day maintenance you'll be surprised at how far a metric set of folding allen wrenches will take you.

Beyond that, access to the Park Tool website will give you advice regarding both what tools you need for a particular job, and step-by-step instructions for doing it.

Retro Grouch said:
For day-to-day maintenance you'll be surprised at how far a metric set of folding allen wrenches will take you.
That and a floor pump with a built in pressure guage. For anything more complicated, check in with the school's cycling club. They may have a work shop that's accessible to members.

artmichalek said:
That and a floor pump with a built in pressure guage. For anything more complicated, check in with the school's cycling club. They may have a work shop that's accessible to members.
Great advice. Our cycling club actually had a few days a year where they would work on your bike for free. They just set up on the main campus thuroughfare and you could bring your bike by.

Awesome idea about the school's bicycle club. I think that's the way to go.

Thanks for the replies,
Eric

Coyote! said:
I'll add that you need one of those multi-purpose tools for use on the road. My particular favorite. . . http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=11&item=MTB%2D3 . I mentioned recently on THAT OTHER forum that I use this multi-tool for all my routine maintenance and this lets me know exactly what else I need to carry on the road.
Another cool Park tool and my favorite: http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=11&item=MT-1

light, tiny, and does almost everything you could need on the road - now if they just designed a spoke wrench into the handle it would be perfect.