hang bike from one wheel

malkovich656745

Feb 19, 2007
hi

is it ok to hang my bike from one wheel like this?

thanks

untitled.jpg

You have to be careful about leaving a bike like that too long or the wheel will slowly ovalize. The easy way to stop this to rotate the wheel a couple of inches every time you walk by.

My sister's brother's vetenarian's date left his bike like that all winter and in Spring it was unrideable. He had to have the LBS repoke the front wheel.

I have found that the best way to keep it from going out of round from hanging is to take it for a ride every day. think of the bike as a dog that needs to be walked.

Bro Deal said:
You have to be careful about leaving a bike like that too long or the wheel will slowly ovalize. The easy way to stop this to rotate the wheel a couple of inches every time you walk by.

My sister's brother's vetenarian's date left his bike like that all winter and in Spring it was unrideable. He had to have the LBS repoke the front wheel.

I think I need to see the evidence of this.

Bro Deal said:

Maybe you shouldn't hang the bike from one wheel where you can't count on someone not doing chin-ups from it.

John M said:
I saw the wheel myself. It was more egg shaped than oval.

Rumor has it that Shimano Biopace rings were invented by an engineer named Saito Kandagawa, who stored his chainrings by hanging them on nails in a wall. After a couple of years they went oval but he did not notice when he attached them to his bike. Surprised by the increase in power and decrease in leg fatigue, he investigated further and a new product was born.

Bro Deal said:
...Rumor has it that Shimano Biopace rings were invented by an engineer named Saito Kandagawa, who stored his chainrings by hanging them on nails in a wall. After a couple of years they went oval but he did not notice when he attached them to his bike. Surprised by the increase in power and decrease in leg fatigue, he investigated further and a new product was born.
So his rings stretched enough to make a noticeable difference in eccentricity, enough that force requirements were different throughout the pedal stroke yet his bolt circle stayed round enough that he could actually mount the rings??? That and the very light weight chainrings were heavy enough to deform under just their hanging weight. That sounds very suspicious....

daveryanwyoming said:
So his rings stretched enough to make a noticeable difference in eccentricity, enough that force requirements were different throughout the pedal stroke yet his bolt circle stayed round enough that he could actually mount the rings??? That and the very light weight chainrings were heavy enough to deform under just their hanging weight. That sounds very suspicious....

Maybe not so much......mathematical historians say that Pythagoras discovered the ellipse after leaving a circle hanging from a nail in his garage for two years.

daveryanwyoming said:
So his rings stretched enough to make a noticeable difference in eccentricity, enough that force requirements were different throughout the pedal stroke yet his bolt circle stayed round enough that he could actually mount the rings??? That and the very light weight chainrings were heavy enough to deform under just their hanging weight.
These days the situation has gotten a lot better. Now we have more advanced alloys. Back in the day, it was more of a problem. You've probably heard of the deep Merckx bend for bars. That came about because Eddy was such a powerful rider the force of his pedalling would lift his torso a little, shifting his weight forward. After a season his normal Cinelli 64 bars would have a much deeper bend. Cinelli marketeers siezed the look and began promoting the Cinelli 66 bend, which allowed freds to have bars that looked just like Eddy's at the end of the season.

Bro Deal said:
... After a season his normal Cinelli 64 bars would have a much deeper bend. ...
I could buy that with a powerful rider putting a lot of force into his bars, but what you're describing with the chainrings is viscoelastic creep of an aluminum alloy with no external force. I've got track chainrings that have hung on pegs and nearly date back to Merckx that are as round today as they were in the early '80s when I bought them. And that still doesn't explain how his chainrings could get elliptical yet he could still mount them to his cranks.

Why do you suppose Eddie was pushing on his bars to create a deeper drop? I've sure pulled on mine enough times but can't think of any good reason to push down into the drops without an equal amount of pulling up on the other side of the stroke. Or do you suppose the early alloy bars deformed in one direction but not the other? I guess that's just part of being the Cannibal.......

John M said:
It would have been a pretty crapy wheel I'd say. But as a general statement, the warning is valid IMHO.

alienator said:
Maybe not so much......mathematical historians say that Pythagoras discovered the ellipse after leaving a circle hanging from a nail in his garage for two years.
Authorative historian has it that it was 2 nails that did it. ;)

alienator said:
Of course; and thus proving wrong his critics who believed that all of his thinking was degenerate.;)

serenaslu said:
Of course; and thus proving wrong his critics who believed that all of his thinking was degenerate.;)

Actually, that occured in 1895 with Ralph P. Eigen, a milkman in Red Bank, NJ, when he was caught, on the job, looking at kiddy ****. The local police thought he was a real degenerate and called his morals "Eigenvalues." As more people were found, sharing similar decrepit morals, the term "degenerate" came to be associated with each person in a group of people, sharing a given set of eigenvalues.

daveryanwyoming said:
I could buy that with a powerful rider putting a lot of force into his bars, but what you're describing with the chainrings is viscoelastic creep of an aluminum alloy with no external force.
I think you have correctly identified the phenomena there. Another not so well known example happened in Taiwan. A janitor had an aluminum bike with a heavy Brooks saddle on it. He was injured in a freak mopping accident and confined to bed for a few months. When he started commuting to work he found the heavy saddle had compressed his seat tube. Thus started the compact frame fad.

Bro Deal said:
I saw the wheel myself. It was more egg shaped than oval.

Rumor has it that Shimano Biopace rings were invented by an engineer named Saito Kandagawa, who stored his chainrings by hanging them on nails in a wall. After a couple of years they went oval but he did not notice when he attached them to his bike. Surprised by the increase in power and decrease in leg fatigue, he investigated further and a new product was born.
Wait a minute, isn't he the paranoid engineer that slugged the senior citizen for a McNugget?

I just realised why my formally 700c wheel now fit 650c tires.....spoke tension caused the rims to shrink! I'm happy as the new tires are liter anyway, and smaller frontal area is more aerodynamic.

Anybody got the history on why 700c is used? I imagine it was a rolling resistance thing and the larger tires roller over bad roads better (yes like a 29er). Now we ride great hubs and tyres why don't more riders use 650c wheels to save weight and better aero? Are 650c wheels UCI legal????

Phill P said:
I just realised why my formally 700c wheel now fit 650c tires.....
Funny that, my old 26" MTB wheel after 5 years on the wall can now fit 700c tyres. Must be some space-time reversal b/n your and my locations. :eek: