Hang Your Bike?

MarkInNC

Apr 15, 2007
I cleaned up the shed this afternoon and wound up hanging my bike up by the wheels from the rafters. Thought Id post a question about this and see what folks who know more than I do about bike say.

Mark

MarkInNC said:
I cleaned up the shed this afternoon and wound up hanging my bike up by the wheels from the rafters. Thought Id post a question about this and see what folks who know more than I do about bike say.

Mark
I have several bikes (mostly for part 'donations' when the time comes.) To save space, I hang them all on the walls on my workshop. I just drive a couple hails into support studs, and instead of hanging the bike on the nails (where it would be scrubbing off paint for no reason) I use two short pieces of rope to suspend them from the nails. I usually try to go around the seat post and the head tube with the rope, so I'm not going through a wheel that may get a little bit of side stress. I warped a couple wheels hanging bikes up by them in the past, I prefer to hang by the frame.

If I know it will be quite a while before I will use/ride/work with a certain bike, I remove the cranks and the handlebars. That way it will hang up close to the wall. Hang a blanket or quilt over it (paint protection), and another bike can be hung on the same pair of nails. Saves even more space.

MarkInNC said:

Mark
I just screw in those nifty plastic coated large sky hooks into the rafters and
Hang the bikes by their rear wheels,I just dont think hanging the bike by the front wheel can be that good for the shock.

MarkInNC said:
I cleaned up the shed this afternoon and wound up hanging my bike up by the wheels from the rafters.

Considering that each spoke pulls inwards with about 90 kg the wheels can well stand the weight of the bike hanging from them.

HowardSteele said:
I just dont think hanging the bike by the front wheel can be that good for the shock.

To some degree dependent on the design of the shock of course. A somewhat worn oil-filled one might leak in that position, but personally I wouldn't ride a bike whose fork is so borderline designed that I didn't dare to hang it by the fork.