Hanging Bike

Kevin

Guest
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

--
Kevin Johnson

Kevin wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
> bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

If you hook it through the front tyre it will burst the inner tube.

RE/
>Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
>bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

I've been hanging two of mine from a hook that goes around the rim with no apparent problems.
-----------------------
PeteCresswell

"Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from
the
> front tire. Is it bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.
>
> --
> Kevin Johnson

Is summer over already?! ;^)

Hang it.

Mike

Kevin, PLEASE check out the thread "Bike Storage Hooks Q by newbie. Then come back if
still confused.

Steve "didn't we do this already?"

Hey Stephen, is there an easy way to search down threads?

("Bike Storage Hooks Q by newbie)

My concern would be for bikes with shocks and the potential damage it may cause them

"Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from
the
> front tire. Is it bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

I wonder if bikes in the garage have that same conversation.

[one bike to the other] "I wonder if that human would mind being hung up in the garage from that
roundish thing on the top of him?"

Pete

> Kevin, PLEASE check out the thread "Bike Storage Hooks Q by newbie. Then come
back if
> still confused.
>
> Steve "didn't we do this already?"

Yeah.....*I'm" the originator of that thread I would like the proper credit for starting it.....LOL

Just kidding. :)

I decided myself to use 2 hooks and store the bike horizontally. Why risk damage.

OrangeCountyCarl

its_stuart asks:

>Hey Stephen, is there an easy way to search down threads?

Not "easy" probably, but use google's advanced group search and you will find whatever you are
looking for (if it's there)

Steve

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:14:50 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I decided myself to use 2 hooks and store the bike horizontally. Why
risk
>damage.

What damage?

Sheeple...

"Sean S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >From: "OrangeCountyCarl" [email protected]
>
> >I decided myself to use 2 hooks and store the bike horizontally. Why risk damage.
>
> Since, in a perfectly tweaked wheel, the hub should float in the middle of
the
> wheel, with equal compression and tensile forces applied to the spokes surrounding it, hanging a
> wheel shouldn't apply much different forces than
from
> it sitting on the ground. Being that the wheel can also handle the
impacts of
> a rider's weight (which also puts considerable compression and tensile
forces
> on the spokes and rim), the much lesser amounts of just the bike hanging shouldn't cause any
> concern. The bike's own weight is probably so low on
the
> design curve for the wheel's engineering, that it is likely to not produce
any
> negative effects from hanging it that way...

Yes, on paper that's exactly what my thoughts were.

If I'm storing with 2 hooks or the 1 hook - 1 wheel method, the bike still is stored. So why not use
2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook method to try on the Huffy's. :)

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:00:19 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So why not use 2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook method to try on the Huffy's. :)

The bike shop I work at has hundreds of bikes stored hanging by one wheel. This includes Huffys
all the way up to $7000+ full Record equipped Colnagos and Calfees. Not to mention all of the
staff bikes.

One hook won't hurt the bike. <G>

Barry

This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000102080304040709040708 Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Same here, been hanging my bikes for years and I never had a front tire burst.

(Pete Cresswell) wrote:

>RE/
>

>>Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
>>bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.
>>

>I've been hanging two of mine from a hook that goes around the rim with no apparent problems.
>-----------------------
>PeteCresswell

--------------000102080304040709040708 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> Same here, been hanging my bikes for years and I never had a
cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">RE/ </pre> <blockquote
type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike
from the front tire. Is it bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks. </pre> </blockquote> <pre
wrap=""><!----> I've been hanging two of mine from a hook that goes around the rim with no
apparent problems.
-----------------------

--------------000102080304040709040708--

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:00:19 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >So why not use 2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook method
> >try on the Huffy's. :)
>
> The bike shop I work at has hundreds of bikes stored hanging by one wheel. This includes Huffys
> all the way up to $7000+ full Record equipped Colnagos and Calfees. Not to mention all of the
> staff bikes.

Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.

-=B=-

"B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IqLcb.432139$cF.135045@rwcrnsc53...
> "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]>
wrote
> in message news:[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:00:19 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
> > <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> > >So why not use 2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook
method
> > >try on the Huffy's. :)
> >
> > The bike shop I work at has hundreds of bikes stored hanging by one wheel. This includes Huffys
> > all the way up to $7000+ full Record equipped Colnagos and Calfees. Not to mention all of the
> > staff bikes.
>
> Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
> tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.

POS forks will do that.

Shaun aRe

On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:07:04 GMT, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
>tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.

Marzocchi actually recommends that their forks be inverted at times to allow the oil to wash over
the seals. They've published this in the manuals for both Bombers I own.

Barry

"B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:07:04 GMT, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
> >tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.
>

> Marzocchi actually recommends that their forks be inverted at times to allow the oil to wash over
> the seals. They've published this in the manuals for both Bombers I own.

Good info. Maybe I should actually *read* the fork manuals... ;-)

-Barry