Hanging Bike

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Kevin, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Kevin

    Kevin Guest

    Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
    bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

    --
    Kevin Johnson

    Tags:

  2. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Kevin wrote:
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
    > bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

    If you hook it through the front tyre it will burst the inner tube.

  3. x

    x Guest

    RE/
    >Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
    >bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

    I've been hanging two of mine from a hook that goes around the rim with no apparent problems.
    -----------------------
    PeteCresswell

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from
    the
    > front tire. Is it bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Kevin Johnson

    Is summer over already?! ;^)

    Hang it.

    Mike

  5. Kevin, PLEASE check out the thread "Bike Storage Hooks Q by newbie. Then come back if
    still confused.

    Steve "didn't we do this already?"

  6. its_stuart

    its_stuart New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2003
    Hey Stephen, is there an easy way to search down threads?

    ("Bike Storage Hooks Q by newbie)

    My concern would be for bikes with shocks and the potential damage it may cause them

  7. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Kevin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from
    the
    > front tire. Is it bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.

    I wonder if bikes in the garage have that same conversation.

    [one bike to the other] "I wonder if that human would mind being hung up in the garage from that
    roundish thing on the top of him?"

    Pete

  8. "Stephen Baker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Kevin, PLEASE check out the thread "Bike Storage Hooks Q by newbie. Then come
    back if
    > still confused.
    >
    > Steve "didn't we do this already?"

    Yeah.....*I'm" the originator of that thread I would like the proper credit for starting it.....LOL

    Just kidding. :)

    I decided myself to use 2 hooks and store the bike horizontally. Why risk damage.

    OrangeCountyCarl

  9. its_stuart asks:

    >Hey Stephen, is there an easy way to search down threads?

    Not "easy" probably, but use google's advanced group search and you will find whatever you are
    looking for (if it's there)

    Steve

  10. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 06:14:50 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I decided myself to use 2 hooks and store the bike horizontally. Why
    risk
    >damage.

    What damage?

    Sheeple...

  11. "Sean S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >From: "OrangeCountyCarl" [email protected]
    >
    > >I decided myself to use 2 hooks and store the bike horizontally. Why risk damage.
    >
    > Since, in a perfectly tweaked wheel, the hub should float in the middle of
    the
    > wheel, with equal compression and tensile forces applied to the spokes surrounding it, hanging a
    > wheel shouldn't apply much different forces than
    from
    > it sitting on the ground. Being that the wheel can also handle the
    impacts of
    > a rider's weight (which also puts considerable compression and tensile
    forces
    > on the spokes and rim), the much lesser amounts of just the bike hanging shouldn't cause any
    > concern. The bike's own weight is probably so low on
    the
    > design curve for the wheel's engineering, that it is likely to not produce
    any
    > negative effects from hanging it that way...

    Yes, on paper that's exactly what my thoughts were.

    If I'm storing with 2 hooks or the 1 hook - 1 wheel method, the bike still is stored. So why not use
    2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook method to try on the Huffy's. :)

  12. On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:00:19 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >So why not use 2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook method to try on the Huffy's. :)

    The bike shop I work at has hundreds of bikes stored hanging by one wheel. This includes Huffys
    all the way up to $7000+ full Record equipped Colnagos and Calfees. Not to mention all of the
    staff bikes.

    One hook won't hurt the bike. <G>

    Barry

  13. Qa2

    Qa2 Guest

    This is a multi-part message in MIME format. --------------000102080304040709040708 Content-Type:
    text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

    Same here, been hanging my bikes for years and I never had a front tire burst.

    (Pete Cresswell) wrote:

    >RE/
    >

    >>Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike from the front tire. Is it
    >>bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks.
    >>

    >I've been hanging two of mine from a hook that goes around the rim with no apparent problems.
    >-----------------------
    >PeteCresswell

    --------------000102080304040709040708 Content-Type: text/html; charset=us-ascii

    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"> <html> <head> <meta
    text="#000000" bgcolor="#ffffff"> Same here, been hanging my bikes for years and I never had a
    cite="[email protected]"> <pre wrap="">RE/ </pre> <blockquote
    type="cite"> <pre wrap="">Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions about hanging your bike
    from the front tire. Is it bad good, doesn't matter? Thanks. </pre> </blockquote> <pre
    wrap=""><!----> I've been hanging two of mine from a hook that goes around the rim with no
    apparent problems.
    -----------------------

    --------------000102080304040709040708--

  14. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:00:19 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >So why not use 2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook method
    > >try on the Huffy's. :)
    >
    > The bike shop I work at has hundreds of bikes stored hanging by one wheel. This includes Huffys
    > all the way up to $7000+ full Record equipped Colnagos and Calfees. Not to mention all of the
    > staff bikes.

    Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
    tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.

    -=B=-

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]>
    wrote
    > in message news:[email protected]...
    > > On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:00:19 GMT, "OrangeCountyCarl"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > > >So why not use 2....they're already paid for. And save the 1 hook
    method
    > > >try on the Huffy's. :)
    > >
    > > The bike shop I work at has hundreds of bikes stored hanging by one wheel. This includes Huffys
    > > all the way up to $7000+ full Record equipped Colnagos and Calfees. Not to mention all of the
    > > staff bikes.
    >
    > Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
    > tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.

    POS forks will do that.

    Shaun aRe

  16. On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:07:04 GMT, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
    >tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.

    Marzocchi actually recommends that their forks be inverted at times to allow the oil to wash over
    the seals. They've published this in the manuals for both Bombers I own.

    Barry

  17. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "B a r r y B u r k e J r ." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 00:07:04 GMT, "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Well, the only problem I've had is a bit of oil leakage from a shock fork after hanging the bike
    > >tail-up for a few months. Annoying; but not particularly damaging.
    >

    > Marzocchi actually recommends that their forks be inverted at times to allow the oil to wash over
    > the seals. They've published this in the manuals for both Bombers I own.

    Good info. Maybe I should actually *read* the fork manuals... ;-)

    -Barry

  18. B. Sanders