hanging wheels question

jim

Guest
Hi all,

I have a nice set of DT wheels ( 1.1 rims, DB spokes, 340 road hubs)
hanging in my utility closet on bungee cords. They are NOT mounted
with tires/tubes, and I'm wondering how long they can be stored this
way. Will I suffer a loss of spoke tension or grease pooling/
congealing in these hubs or any other bugaboos that I can't foresee?

I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.

Thanks for any input.

jim <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a nice set of DT wheels ( 1.1 rims, DB spokes, 340 road hubs)
> hanging in my utility closet on bungee cords. They are NOT mounted
> with tires/tubes, and I'm wondering how long they can be stored this
> way. Will I suffer a loss of spoke tension or grease pooling/
> congealing in these hubs or any other bugaboos that I can't foresee?
>
> I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
> surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.
>
> Thanks for any input.

You will suffer a loss of spoke tension if the rim becomes smaller or if
the spokes become longer.

If you can postulate a mechanism by which either of those events occur
as a result of hanging the wheel, please enlighten us.

As for the grease, given enough time it will dry and harden, which
mitigates against "pooling". It does mean that the grease will have to
be cleaned out and replaced eventually, just like in a wheel which is
used.

Regarding your Elites, you will never have any problems with them if you
treat them like the wheels hanging in your closet. But it's better to
ride them.

--
Ted Bennett

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 19:36:21 GMT, Ted Bennett
<[email protected]> wrote:

>You will suffer a loss of spoke tension if the rim becomes smaller or if
>the spokes become longer.
>
>If you can postulate a mechanism by which either of those events occur
>as a result of hanging the wheel, please enlighten us.

<voice=ArchieBunker>

Awwwww Jesus, Edith, now you gone and stirred up the physicists
around here who are gonna havta postulate about seasonal thermal
expansion in the micromillimeter range and we're aallll gonna have to
listen to it. Don't you never learn ?

</voice>

:)

Har, Har!

I'm riding the Elites 100-150 miles per week... I bought the DT wheels
for when the Ksyriums implode. Thanks for the snark, Ted!

On Jul 8, 3:36 pm, Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:
> jim <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I have a nice set of DT wheels ( 1.1 rims, DB spokes, 340 road hubs)
> > hanging in my utility closet on bungee cords. They are NOT mounted
> > with tires/tubes, and I'm wondering how long they can be stored this
> > way. Will I suffer a loss of spoke tension or grease pooling/
> > congealing in these hubs or any other bugaboos that I can't foresee?

> > I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
> > surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.

> > Thanks for any input.

> You will suffer a loss of spoke tension if the rim becomes smaller or if
> the spokes become longer.
>
> If you can postulate a mechanism by which either of those events occur
> as a result of hanging the wheel, please enlighten us.
>
> As for the grease, given enough time it will dry and harden, which
> mitigates against "pooling". It does mean that the grease will have to
> be cleaned out and replaced eventually, just like in a wheel which is
> used.
>
> Regarding your Elites, you will never have any problems with them if you
> treat them like the wheels hanging in your closet. But it's better to
> ride them.
>
> --
> Ted Bennett

"jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> I have a nice set of DT wheels ( 1.1 rims, DB spokes, 340 road hubs)
> hanging in my utility closet on bungee cords. They are NOT mounted
> with tires/tubes, and I'm wondering how long they can be stored this
> way. Will I suffer a loss of spoke tension or grease pooling/
> congealing in these hubs or any other bugaboos that I can't foresee?
>
> I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
> surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.
>
> Thanks for any input.

Don't do it. The wheels will stretch into an elliptical shape unless they
are rotated frequently and precisely. See the related thread about frame
stretching from hanging: http://tinyurl.com/35fpcu

BobT

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 12:01:08 -0700, jim wrote:

> I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
> surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.

They're lulling you into a false sense of security, waiting until you're
far, far from home, have forgotten your phone and have no money on you.

On Jul 8, 1:01 pm, jim <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a nice set of DT wheels ( 1.1 rims, DB spokes, 340 road hubs)
> hanging in my utility closet on bungee cords. They are NOT mounted
> with tires/tubes, and I'm wondering how long they can be stored this
> way. Will I suffer a loss of spoke tension or grease pooling/
> congealing in these hubs or any other bugaboos that I can't foresee?
>
> I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
> surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.
>
> Thanks for any input.

The tesnion will reamin the same. However, the concentration of metal
will shift to the bottom very slowly. So, while they will continue to
look the same, one side will have a greater accumulation of metal and
will be heavier. The other side will have less metal and will be
lighter and also weaker. When you ride them you will fill that you are
not pedaling even. because of the uneven distribution of the metal on
the wheels.

jim wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a nice set of DT wheels ( 1.1 rims, DB spokes, 340 road hubs)
> hanging in my utility closet on bungee cords. They are NOT mounted
> with tires/tubes, and I'm wondering how long they can be stored this
> way. Will I suffer a loss of spoke tension or grease pooling/
> congealing in these hubs or any other bugaboos that I can't foresee?
>
> I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
> surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.
>
> Thanks for any input.

Unless you live in Alaska, the spokes will become magnetized by the
Earth's magnetic field, and thereafter your computer will always read 32
times the correct speed.

To avoid this, you must pass the wheels through a degaussing machine
before attempting to ride them.

On Jul 18, 6:19 am, Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
> jim wrote:
> > Hi all,

> > I have a nice set of DT wheels ( 1.1 rims, DB spokes, 340 road hubs)
> > hanging in my utility closet on bungee cords. They are NOT mounted
> > with tires/tubes, and I'm wondering how long they can be stored this
> > way. Will I suffer a loss of spoke tension or grease pooling/
> > congealing in these hubs or any other bugaboos that I can't foresee?

> > I'm waiting for a set of Ksyrium Elites (2004) to fall apart, and I'm
> > surprised they haven't after all the negative reports I've read.

> > Thanks for any input.

> Unless you live in Alaska, the spokes will become magnetized by the
> Earth's magnetic field, and thereafter your computer will always read 32
> times the correct speed.
>
> To avoid this, you must pass the wheels through a degaussing machine
> before attempting to ride them.

Sunlight will have the same effect, so try leaving the closet door
open. However your mother/partner might slap you for being a slob.