Hanoi to Sapa - which way best?

Genkitravels

Nov 4, 2007
Hi, Newby to these forums - thanks for taking the time to consider this post. I'll be in Hanoi, Vietnam at the end of this month and am planning to take my 21 speed touring bike and cycle my way through northern Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia over a ten week period.

I'd love to do the trip to Sapa, but with all the hills I plan on only making it a one way trip. My question is this... Should I take the train from Hanoi to Sapa or Sapa to Hanoi. I'm looking for the least wind resistance and the best descent/ascent combo. I'd prefer more downhills to uphills (I'm funny like that, no?). My plan is to take in the regular stops (Mai Chau, Son La, Dien Bien Phu, Lai Chau etc; and also a diversion to Tam Coc if possible) and will probably manage only 60 -80km a day.

If anyone has ridden this area and can give advice on terrain or want to share their experiences I'd love to hear them. Also, if anyone has had experience crossing into Laos (north of Lao Bao-Khe Sanh) by bicycle - how did you go? Any problems?

A pretty obscure request I know - any help, or pointing in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Until then I'll keep scouring Mr Pumpy and Thorn tree sites. Thanks, Terry.:eek:

Genkitravels said:
Hi, Newby to these forums - thanks for taking the time to consider this post. I'll be in Hanoi, Vietnam at the end of this month and am planning to take my 21 speed touring bike and cycle my way through northern Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia over a ten week period.

I'd love to do the trip to Sapa, but with all the hills I plan on only making it a one way trip. My question is this... Should I take the train from Hanoi to Sapa or Sapa to Hanoi. I'm looking for the least wind resistance and the best descent/ascent combo. I'd prefer more downhills to uphills (I'm funny like that, no?). My plan is to take in the regular stops (Mai Chau, Son La, Dien Bien Phu, Lai Chau etc; and also a diversion to Tam Coc if possible) and will probably manage only 60 -80km a day.

If anyone has ridden this area and can give advice on terrain or want to share their experiences I'd love to hear them. Also, if anyone has had experience crossing into Laos (north of Lao Bao-Khe Sanh) by bicycle - how did you go? Any problems?

A pretty obscure request I know - any help, or pointing in the right direction will be greatly appreciated. Until then I'll keep scouring Mr Pumpy and Thorn tree sites. Thanks, Terry.:eek:
I know absolutly nothing about riding in the area:confused: , but I have heard your choice of direction of travel will depend on the time of year you intend to go. I've heard there are tremendous shifts in both the speed and direction of the winds (and rain!!) with the different seasons.
Good luck!

I have cycled some of the way from Hanoi to Sapa.
Roads as far as Son La are good ( getting out of Hanoi is hairy).

have a look at this web site.
http://bradjdavies.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

The second part of the Day 5: Son La - Tuan Giou is very tough. The road is awful and steep and long, do not take it lightly.
After that the road from Tuan Giou to Dein Bein Phu is okay. And after that the rest of the way to Sapa is beautiful with a very long spectacular pull up on the last day.

barrabus said:
I have cycled some of the way from Hanoi to Sapa.
Roads as far as Son La are good ( getting out of Hanoi is hairy).

have a look at this web site.
http://bradjdavies.blogspot.com/2007_04_01_archive.html

The second part of the Day 5: Son La - Tuan Giou is very tough. The road is awful and steep and long, do not take it lightly.
After that the road from Tuan Giou to Dein Bein Phu is okay. And after that the rest of the way to Sapa is beautiful with a very long spectacular pull up on the last day.
Hi, thanks for Brad's blog referral. I've been taking lots of notes.

Starting to lean towards going to Sapa by train and then riding from the high elevation back down to sea level (Hanoi). At least that way I could leave my bike boxed up for the train journey. When people say they put their bike on a bus or train - how does that work exactly? Is it in the compartment with you or out of sight in a mystery carriage somewhere? Somewhat worried it won't turn up at the destination with me.

It is in a carraige at the end of the train.
Myself and my girlfriend left two good bikes there and they were fine, I would be happy to leave a good bike there again.