Happy Holidays and Adios

Jeff Starr

Guest
I've decided to limit my Newsgroup time to rec.bicycle.tech in the
coming year. Over the last few months, I have seen rec.bicycles.misc
go from a mostly on topic, reasonably friendly place, to something I
no longer enjoy.

Way too often topics are getting hijacked with political debate. There
also seems to be a streak of meanness and a lack of tolerance for
opposing views. These debates often include name twisting insults and
personal attacks. I've seen a regular who used to demonstrate a
playful sense of humor, become bitter,and meanspirited, while
relentlessly posting, whether it adds anything of value, or not. A
place where the word "liberal" is used as an insult, is nowhere that
I belong. if I wanted to discuss politics, that is the type of
newsgroup that I would have joined. There are good reasons why they
recommend not discussing politics and religion at social gatherings.
People have very strong opinions on both and discussion in those
settings [and here], accomplish little and often alienate many.

I will miss many of the good hearted regulars, that I have grown to
appreciate, fortunately most of them also are regulars over at tech.

To all of you, and I do mean all, I wish you Happy Holidays and an
excellent New Year! Let's hope it includes lots of riding, sunny days,
and gentle winds.

After I post this, I will remove rec.bicycle.misc from my subscribed
newsgroups. I will look in on this thread via Google Groups. I may
return in the spring, if I hear that all the anger and bitterness has
subsided.

Remember, overall -

Life is Good!
Jeff

Well, drop in when you can and have a Merry Christmas and a great and
positive New Year.

"Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've decided to limit my Newsgroup time to rec.bicycle.tech in the
> coming year.

I don't care who you are, these suicide notes are real buzz-killers...

> "Jeff Starr" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> I will miss many of the good hearted regulars, that I have grown to
>> appreciate, fortunately most of them also are regulars over at tech.

> I'm not one of them, so I guess this is hasta la vista -- sorry to see you
> go.

Yeah, hasta la pasta. Say hi to Fabrizio for us.

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:25:22 GMT, Jeff Starr <[email protected]>
said in <[email protected]>:

>Way too often topics are getting hijacked with political debate. There
>also seems to be a streak of meanness and a lack of tolerance for
>opposing views.

You pinko commie subversive! How dare you say that! - oh, wait...

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Jeff Starr <[email protected]> wrote:
> I've decided to limit my Newsgroup time to rec.bicycle.tech in the
> coming year. Over the last few months, I have seen rec.bicycles.misc
> go from a mostly on topic, reasonably friendly place, to something I
> no longer enjoy.

I have also noticed a seeming lack of decent conversation. I also
rarely get involved in the political fights, especially since so many
of the people (on both sides) are impervious qvpxurnqf who are just
taking the opportunity to vent their spleen at "the other side" from
a safe place (i.e. the internet).

> I will miss many of the good hearted regulars, that I have grown to
> appreciate, fortunately most of them also are regulars over at tech.

Ah, bummer. Like Claire, I rarely frequent rbt. I do a lot of
wrenching, but I can't bring myself to care about most of the topics
discussed there.

> After I post this, I will remove rec.bicycle.misc from my subscribed
> newsgroups. I will look in on this thread via Google Groups. I may
> return in the spring, if I hear that all the anger and bitterness has
> subsided.

After I post this, I'm going to go ride my bike around the neighborhood
to look at the light displays (and burn off all the cookies and sweets
I've been ingesting). I (heart) dyno-hubs.

Merry Squidmas to you all!

--
Dane Buson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #3:

Q: When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were
able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to
go, gone also, would he have brought you, meaning you and she, with
him to the station?
MR. BROOKS: Objection. That question should be taken out and shot.

Jeff Starr wrote:
> I've decided to limit my Newsgroup time to rec.bicycle.tech in the
> coming year. Over the last few months, I have seen rec.bicycles.misc
> go from a mostly on topic, reasonably friendly place, to something I
> no longer enjoy.
>
> Way too often topics are getting hijacked with political debate. There
> also seems to be a streak of meanness and a lack of tolerance for
> opposing views. These debates often include name twisting insults and
> personal attacks. I've seen a regular who used to demonstrate a
> playful sense of humor, become bitter,and meanspirited, while
> relentlessly posting, whether it adds anything of value, or not. A
> place where the word "liberal" is used as an insult, is nowhere that
> I belong. if I wanted to discuss politics, that is the type of
> newsgroup that I would have joined. There are good reasons why they
> recommend not discussing politics and religion at social gatherings.
> People have very strong opinions on both and discussion in those
> settings [and here], accomplish little and often alienate many.
>
> I will miss many of the good hearted regulars, that I have grown to
> appreciate, fortunately most of them also are regulars over at tech.
>

> To all of you, and I do mean all, I wish you Happy Holidays and an
> excellent New Year! Let's hope it includes lots of riding, sunny days,
> and gentle winds.
>

> After I post this, I will remove rec.bicycle.misc from my subscribed
> newsgroups. I will look in on this thread via Google Groups. I may
> return in the spring, if I hear that all the anger and bitterness has
> subsided.
>
> Remember, overall -
>
> Life is Good!
> Jeff