Happy New Year ,,,,,,,,, question

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Thomas Wentworth, Dec 30, 2005.

  1. Ok, first .. have a Happy New Year. Safe, healthy, and no flats.

    Now,,,,,,,,,,

    I have decided to expand my world so to speak. I am going to [ maybe, not
    done it yet ] buy a big, old, sailboat.

    I want to bring my bicycle on the boat, and use it when not sailing. Anyone
    ever married boating and bicycling? How do you keep the bicycle from
    getting all rusty? Where on a sailboat would you keep the bicycle? I'm
    thinking the berth aft by the side of the engine. Probably will need some
    type of cover though.

    Anyway, not a done deal yet. But, you never know!

    So,,, what do you think?

    Tags:

  2. Ken M

    Ken M Guest

    Thomas Wentworth wrote:
    > Ok, first .. have a Happy New Year. Safe, healthy, and no flats.
    >
    > Now,,,,,,,,,,
    >
    > I have decided to expand my world so to speak. I am going to [ maybe, not
    > done it yet ] buy a big, old, sailboat.
    >
    > I want to bring my bicycle on the boat, and use it when not sailing. Anyone
    > ever married boating and bicycling? How do you keep the bicycle from
    > getting all rusty? Where on a sailboat would you keep the bicycle? I'm
    > thinking the berth aft by the side of the engine. Probably will need some
    > type of cover though.
    >
    > Anyway, not a done deal yet. But, you never know!
    >
    > So,,, what do you think?

    Sounds like a good idea, when you boat into a new port / harbor you'll
    have transport. And being that most bikes today are AL I wouldn't worry
    to much about rust. Just get a good cover to keep the sea spray off of it.

    Ken
    --
    [T]he bicycle is the most efficient machine ever created: Converting
    calories into gas, a bicycle gets the equivalent of three thousand miles

    Homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

  3. landotter

    landotter Guest

    salt can do some gnarly things to raw aluminum. Might be in your
    interest to look for anodized rims & powdercoated components.

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    Thomas Wentworth wrote:
    > Ok, first .. have a Happy New Year. Safe, healthy, and no flats.
    >
    > Now,,,,,,,,,,
    >
    > I have decided to expand my world so to speak. I am going to [ maybe, not
    > done it yet ] buy a big, old, sailboat.
    >
    > I want to bring my bicycle on the boat, and use it when not sailing. Anyone
    > ever married boating and bicycling? How do you keep the bicycle from
    > getting all rusty? Where on a sailboat would you keep the bicycle? I'm
    > thinking the berth aft by the side of the engine. Probably will need some
    > type of cover though.
    >
    > Anyway, not a done deal yet. But, you never know!
    >
    > So,,, what do you think?

    Folding bikes are very popular with sailors and pilots.

  5. Leo Lichtman

    Leo Lichtman Guest

    "Peter Cole" wrote: Folding bikes are very popular with sailors and
    pilots.
    I went on a boat ride/island picnic as a guest, and I took my Dahon folder
    along. The boat owner bought it from me before the day was over.