Happy St. Paddy's!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Mar 17, 2005.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers so mine
    will wait until Saturday or next week.)

    Jill
    --
    I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

    Tags:

  2. aem

    aem Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers so

    mine
    > will wait until Saturday or next week.)

    I think we're going out for Korean bbq tonight. We'll be within a mile
    or two of Molly Malone's, which is as close as we need to get to
    singing, drunken Irishmen....Is that a redundancy? But if Costco is
    still carrying the Bill Bailey brand of corned beef we probably will
    have it this weekend. -aem

  3. Mikey S.

    Mikey S. Guest

    My wife is making the CB&C later but I just finished the Irish Soda Bread,
    it looks nice, I hope it tastes as good.
    http://photo.mike721.com/gallery/baking/sodabread

    I made it from this recipe
    http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=35515
    but I added a little more sugar and more raisins ( golden and regular)
    because that's the way I like it!

    --

    Mikey S.
    http://www.mike721.com

    > Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers so mine
    > will wait until Saturday or next week.)

  4. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers so mine
    > will wait until Saturday or next week.)

    Chicken legs here tonight. It was totally an accident that I ended up dressed
    in green today. Despite having Irish Catholic roots I have never bothered
    celebrating St. Patrick's Day. It kind of sad that what started off as a
    religious festival for Irish Catholics has become internationally celebrated
    as an excuse to get drunk and act like an idiot.

  5. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    > Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers so mine
    > will wait until Saturday or next week.)
    >
    > Jill
    > --
    > I used to have a handle on life...but it broke off.

    Did 2 of them last Saturday

    2 Point cut
    Boiled
    Separated
    Scored the top
    Brushed with seedy Mustard and brown sugar
    Baked on a rack over some water @ 350 till the top was crusty.

    Yum

    Dimitri

  6. One time on Usenet, "Mikey S." <[email protected]> said:
    >"jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]

    >> Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers
    >> so mine will wait until Saturday or next week.)

    We just had corned beef and cabbage a couple of weeks ago, and
    no one is ready for it again just yet. I'm counting calories today,
    so I'll probably have a stuffed green pepper -- the boys are making
    tacos.

    > My wife is making the CB&C later but I just finished the Irish Soda Bread,
    > it looks nice, I hope it tastes as good.
    > http://photo.mike721.com/gallery/baking/sodabread

    Lovely!

    > I made it from this recipe
    > http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes/recipe.aspx?recipeId=35515
    > but I added a little more sugar and more raisins ( golden and regular)
    > because that's the way I like it!

    My best friend and I were shopping together today and were talking
    about soda bread. She's from an Irish family, and her mom used to make
    it a lot. Our discussion (I've never had it and she was telling me how
    good it is) soon included our clerk -- they both said they think raisins
    in soda bread is strange, but I guess it's all in what you're used to.
    She's baking some today, in honor of St. Patrick's Day, and promised to
    save me a slice... :)

    --
    J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
    "You still haven't explained why the pool is

  7. Jessica V.

    Jessica V. Guest

    jmcquown wrote:
    > Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers so mine
    > will wait until Saturday or next week.)
    >
    > Jill

    I did corned beef and cabbage earlier this week. The point cut that I
    purchased had surprisingly little fat on it, guessing under 25%. I
    think I'm going to boil a few more spuds, chopped the leftover corned
    beef and make a hash to go with some fried eggs for dinner tonight.
    Then again I might just prep it and stick it in the fridge for
    breakfast, and do something with the portabellas that are begging to be
    used.

    Jessica

  8. Cindy Fuller

    Cindy Fuller Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Who is doing corned beef & cabbage? (I'm still using up leftovers so mine
    > will wait until Saturday or next week.)
    >
    > Jill

    I did. I was going to follow Sheldon's instructions, but I got home way
    too late to do the 30-minute simmer before changing the water. (Forgive
    me, O Sheldon, for I have sinned.) It turned out okay.

    Cindy

    --
    C.J. Fuller

    Delete the obvious to email me