happy thanksgiving!

saturnsc2

Jul 14, 2004
happy thanksgiving everybody! don't eat too much! give those bikes a break already!

i was in amerikee when the celebrated the 4th July (a small local custom i think) i asked my hosts what the **** it was all about and got some sob story about oppressive british rule...

they were lighting fireworks and drinking, and i said, 'hold on a bloody minnit. i dont think i like this idea of you celebrating the end of british rule'...and the rest is history...

personally i am having my thanksgiving turkey tonight. sod tradition.

saturnsc2 said:
happy thanksgiving everybody! don't eat too much! give those bikes a break already!

Yeah, wish our American members a Happy Thanksgiving.

But while you're at it perhaps you can explain what TG is ?

I was out at Shannon Airport last week and I was talking to the American lady there who advertises discount shopping for New York and Boston, and she told me that Thanksgiving is to commemorate the arrival of the Pilgrim Fathers in the USA.

Yesterday, I was told by an American secretary over here in an irish based company, that TG was to commemorate the sharing of food by the Pilgrim Fathers with the Native Americans.

I'd appreciate it if someone could answer this - thanks.

limerickman said:
Yeah, wish our American members a Happy Thanksgiving.

I was out at Shannon Airport last week and I was talking to the American lady there who advertises discount shopping for New York and Boston, and she told me that Thanksgiving is to commemorate the arrival of the Pilgrim Fathers in the USA.

Yesterday, I was told by an American secretary over here in an irish based company, that TG was to commemorate the sharing of food by the Pilgrim Fathers with the Native Americans.

I'd appreciate it if someone could answer this - thanks.

At the risk of someone correcting me I will try. Thanksgiving is a legal holiday in the US under the threeday weekend bill ,but is assumed to trace back to 1621when the settlers ,after a harsh winter made peace with the local natives and shared a celebration of peace and the harvest.
The natives taught the pilgrims how to grow crops and survive. The reality or legend of this tradition grew over the years as a time of thanks for the things that we have.
Besides it is an excellent excuse to eat too much and watch football and then take a nap. :D

jhuskey said:
At the risk of someone correcting me I will try. Thanksgiving is a legal holiday in the US under the threeday weekend bill ,but is assumed to trace back to 1621when the settlers ,after a harsh winter made peace with the local natives and shared a celebration of peace and the harvest.
The natives taught the pilgrims how to grow crops and survive. The reality or legend of this tradition grew over the years as a time of thanks for the things that we have.
Besides it is an excellent excuse to eat too much and watch football and then take a nap. :D

Thanks for this JH - and Happy TG.

jhuskey said:
Why is it on a different date each year? What's the three day weekend bill?

Dondare said:
Why is it on a different date each year? What's the three day weekend bill?

It is on a different date each year because it always falls on the last Thursday in November.

No idea what the three day weekend bill is... but Thanksgiving always gives us a four day weekend... we get Thursday and Friday off :)

Geoff2010 said:
It is on a different date each year because it always falls on the last Thursday in November.

No idea what the three day weekend bill is... but Thanksgiving always gives us a four day weekend... we get Thursday and Friday off :)
Some of my American friends seem to start celebrating on Wednesday.

limerickman said:
From what I can remember off the top of my head (i.e. please don't jump on me if I'm not 100% accurate)... Thanksgiving wasn't really celebrated in this country until it became an official holiday during the depression in order to boost moral. I'm sure that many cultures have a tradition of a fall feast, however. I'll leave the rest of the background up to google. All I know is that I will be riding long and hard today until just before it's time to eat, then I will gorge myself and pass out in true tradition.

saturnsc2 said:
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to All.....I am wearing a VERY TIGHT item and I cannot possibly stuff myself; with wires, stays and a drawstring.

MountainPro said:
i was in amerikee when the celebrated the 4th July (a small local custom i think) i asked my hosts what the **** it was all about and got some sob story about oppressive british rule...

they were lighting fireworks and drinking, and i said, 'hold on a bloody minnit. i dont think i like this idea of you celebrating the end of british rule'...and the rest is history...

Taxation without representation!!!

Boston Tea Party!!!

Paul Revere - Lexington and Concord - shot heard round the world!!!!

THE BRITISH ARE COMING, THE BRITISH ARE COMING!!!!

One if by land, two if by sea!!!!

Hessians, Indians!!!

We learn it all in public school; tommyrot, some of it.

Taverns are hotbeds of sedition, you know............

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

In Virgina, the Jamestown Colony Starved to Death....

When an Indian went north, he took pity on the starving refugee Protestants (pilgrims?) and showed them how to plant maize and squash, and saved the Mass. bay Colony from starvation.

ptlwp said:
Yes, Happy Thanksgiving to All.....I am wearing a VERY TIGHT item and I cannot possibly stuff myself; with wires, stays and a drawstring.
Happy Thanksgiving, Yank.
Now take off the bondage gear and make a drunken pig of yourself.

ptlwp said:

Boston Tea Party!!!

Hessians, Indians!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

When an Indian went north, he took pity on the starving refugee Protestants (pilgrims?) and showed them how to plant maize and squash, and saved the Mass. bay Colony from starvation.
Seems like you've made an early start.
Drink to your cousins across The Pond if you will, and I'll raise a glass in your general direction. Cheers!

MountainPro said:
And exactly which Scottish tradition is it that dictates when you eat your Thanks Giving toikey? :confused:

(sorry, slipped into a bad NY accent :D)

Thanks for getting me through this day;

we worked like slaves in every way,

and then when everyone was gonna burst

dessert was served, no one for the worse,

They all went home, praise be

I am glad that it's done for us,

I'll not til next year, start to cuss.

Fondly,

Petals

wheelist said:
And exactly which Scottish tradition is it that dictates when you eat your Thanks Giving toikey? :confused:

(sorry, slipped into a bad NY accent :D)
nice accent there, i was totally convinced for a while (0.000000127 nanoseconds)

this whole thanksgiving polava sounds like an excuse to get banjaxed, eat like a pig and sleep it off in the neighbours dumpster.

you wouldnt find anything like that in scotland...especially not around the 31st Dec.

ps, its snowing like crazy here Huskey....3 feet outside and -12....i wish Zapper was here, i'll show him a thing or two about bad weather.

hey, it was good enough for the rest of the colonies, you know your trouble? you dont know when you are well off.

ptlwp said:

Boston Tea Party!!!

Hessians, Indians!!!

Happy Thanksgiving!!!