Hard block right before vacation?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by kwoodrow, Jun 27, 2007.

1. kwoodrow

kwoodrow New Member

I have a client who will be taking a mid-season vacation with the possibility of at least 8 days off the bike. Although he may be able to get in some running or other x-training, he won't have access to a road bike.

What is the best way to minimize detraining during the vacation? My inclination is to "pre-load" him with a hard block in the 4 or 5 days immediately preceding the vacation. I don't have any data to back this up, but I suspect that the hard block of training will jack his metabolism for a few days and that the enforced recovery time will maximize the benefits from the hard training. He also has a hard time knowing how to recovery, so I'm hoping that the enforced layoff will make him hungry for the remainder of the season.

How do you guys handle mid-season vacations?

Thanks,
    Ken

Tags:

2. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

I have read that it only takes 20 minutes of brisk exercise per day to maintain fitness. So when I left for a 10 day Disney Vacation this year I walked from my resort to the next every morning and when I came home I started with a Z2 ride and then slowly ramped the intesnity back up. I did not feel I lost any fitness. I also did a big block of training before leaving so I kind of felt like I WANTED to take some time off the bike. Hope this helps,
    Ray