Hard Run Induced Chest Congestion??? Or Coincidence?

Rich

Guest
Hello all. I'm not a big runner at all. I've been running a SLOW pace on a treadmill trying to get
in shape for a couple of months (running 2-ish miles a few times each week).

On Thursday afternoon, I ran a mile and a half for time and pushed myself to my hardest (191 HR for
last 3 mins ... stupid I know ... but I'm in the military and needed to pass a PT test). When I
finished my run, I was coughing and hacking a bit (I'm a 39 yr old non-smoker). Coughing got worse
with the evening/night.

Friday afternoon (24 hours later), it really sucked to be me. Started coughing more ... I developed
some flem in my chest ... I managed to cough some up last night. I went to bed at 6:15PM feeling
like **** ... I may have been running a low fever (due to chills).

Now, it's Sat AM and I'm still not feeling too great. Occasional deep coughing ... definite
congestion still in my lungs ... deep/fast breathing triggers the cough which I can
otherwise supress.

Any thoughts (beyond commenting on my stupidity for pushing myself so hard and not preparing myself
better/sooner or staying in better shape throughout the year)? Thanks so much for your consideration
and assistance.

Regards, Rich (Please don't reply via e-mail ... address is dead)

[email protected] (Rich) wrote:

>Any thoughts (beyond commenting on my stupidity for pushing myself so hard and not preparing myself
>better/sooner or staying in better shape throughout the year)? Thanks so much for your
>consideration and assistance.

Pushing yourself too hard doesn't result in respiratory problems 24+ hours later for a 39 y/o in
normal health.

Maybe just a cold/flu syndrome that coincidence with your workout, or maybe something more
significant. No one here can tell you which it is. If you still feel like ****, seeing a doctor
seems like the thing to do.

On 30 Jan 2004 23:02:59 -0800, [email protected] (Rich) wrote:

>Hello all. I'm not a big runner at all. I've been running a SLOW pace on a treadmill trying to get
>in shape for a couple of months (running 2-ish miles a few times each week).
>
>On Thursday afternoon, I ran a mile and a half for time and pushed myself to my hardest (191 HR for
>last 3 mins ... stupid I know ... but I'm in the military and needed to pass a PT test). When I
>finished my run, I was coughing and hacking a bit (I'm a 39 yr old non-smoker). Coughing got worse
>with the evening/night.
>
>Friday afternoon (24 hours later), it really sucked to be me. Started coughing more ... I developed
>some flem in my chest ... I managed to cough some up last night. I went to bed at 6:15PM feeling
>like **** ... I may have been running a low fever (due to chills).
>
>Now, it's Sat AM and I'm still not feeling too great. Occasional deep coughing ... definite
>congestion still in my lungs ... deep/fast breathing triggers the cough which I can
>otherwise supress.
>
>Any thoughts (beyond commenting on my stupidity for pushing myself so hard and not preparing myself
>better/sooner or staying in better shape throughout the year)? Thanks so much for your
>consideration and assistance.
>
>Regards, Rich (Please don't reply via e-mail ... address is dead)

Rich, I have some ideas about this. In fact, I have been thinking about just your situation for some
time. Here is why; I know of two men, older than you in their 50s, who have taken very good care of
themselves and have jogged for years. Both, within the past year, have had chest pains and been
found to need stents. These are men whose lifestyle made the necessity of stents sound "weird." They
were in "excellent" shape, at least until their situations devleoped. I suspect their may be a lot
of this we do not hear of often.

Anyway, I study DHEA. I think it is necessary for a fully functioning body. DHEA naturally begins to
decline in the early to mid-twenties. Thereafter, the supply of DHEA declines so we slow down. It is
my hypothesis that all tissues compete for the supply of DHEA. Now, since you are 39 you decided to
"use" your supply for muscles at the expense of other tissues, and suddenly. So... you caused a
deficit that showed itself in your symptoms. I suggest this is what was happening to the two men I
mentioned. Since they had jogged for years, their physiognomies were robust. They both looked good
and "looked" fit. The reason is they had started their bodies using their supply of DHEA for these
characteristics which continued. What happened is that their supply was reduced for cardiovascular
maintenance and they eventually showed the signs, hence, their stents.

Now, two things may happen to you. You may "rebound" and cause more DHEA to be produced, which may
make you feel better. This, however, may fool you as the supply will simply be redirected and may
cause problems later. You show evidence of this. What you should do is try walking, which is known
to be very beneficial. (I think this is so because the walking probably causes increased DHEA
without taking so much for the muscles.) Other than that, like everyone, the simple answer is take
it slowly, very slowly since you have manifested evidence that you may be triggering problems. (I
have a chart of what I was trying to explain to you at www.anthropogeny.com/research.html . The
bottom chart on the right "low production / late stimulation / early decline.")

It is not coincidence. My health is pretty ok and 52. Ive found that if I run too much now i get a
cold directly after. ive had to limit the amount of running. I used to do 5 mile runs sometimes in
my 20's and 30's never got any colds afterwards. and could do a run every day without problem.

Now if I push myself too much running or try a run every day I get a chest infection for sure. Must
be lesser resistence to virus.

patrick

news:[email protected]...

In article <[email protected]>, Rich wrote:
> Hello all. I'm not a big runner at all. I've been running a SLOW pace on a treadmill trying to get
> in shape for a couple of months (running 2-ish miles a few times each week).
>
> On Thursday afternoon, I ran a mile and a half for time and pushed myself to my hardest (191 HR
> for last 3 mins ... stupid I know ... but I'm in the military and needed to pass a PT test). When
> I finished my run, I was coughing and hacking a bit (I'm a 39 yr old non-smoker). Coughing got
> worse with the evening/night.

There's no hard rule that says you need to stick to a certain heart rate. It's a good idea to do
*most* (80% or more) of your training at lower heart rates as you've done, but I doubt these are
entirely causally related.

Running hard can leave you with an irritated throat after the run. If you have a minor cough or
runny nose, this could possibly make it worse and push it to the next level (don't know, maybe Josh
can help). It's a good idea to have some cough tablets on hand for after your run.

It sounds bad enough that you may have to take a couple of days off. When you return to running, you
will need to go easy, hard runs irritate coughs much more than runs at a controlled heart rate.

Cheers,

I'm thinking it sucks to be you everyday. Not just last Friday.

Rich wrote:

> On Thursday afternoon, I ran a mile and a half for time and pushed myself to my hardest (191 HR
> for last 3 mins ... stupid I know ... but I'm in the military and needed to pass a PT test). When
> I finished my run, I was coughing and hacking a bit (I'm a 39 yr old non-smoker). Coughing got
> worse with the evening/night.
>
> Friday afternoon (24 hours later), it really sucked to be me. Started coughing more ... I
> developed some flem in my chest ... I managed to cough some up last night. I went to bed at 6:15PM
> feeling like **** ... I may have been running a low fever (due to chills).
>
> Now, it's Sat AM and I'm still not feeling too great. Occasional deep coughing ... definite
> congestion still in my lungs ... deep/fast breathing triggers the cough which I can otherwise
> supress.
>
> Any thoughts?

Coincidence. Running real hard does not cause fever and cough. If there was any generalization to be
made, it would be that exercise promotes the opposite. -- Josh STeinberg MD, Syracuse

Hello all. Thanks for your responses ... I just wanted to get back and tell you that I got hit with
a cold from hell ... the sneezing and associated flu-like cold symptoms appeared 2 hours after I
sent my post. My nose is raw from all the nose-blowing. I'm going to nurse myself and pay close
attention to your responses ... whether colds follow hard runs or DHEA (not sure how it's spelled
... I'm just a computer guy ...) ;-) Thanks for your time. Lot's of bed time, and fluids and
hopefully I'll get over this crud ... we'll see what happens to me when I start walking/running
again. I'll be back to tell you about my progress... Thanks kindly... Rich

news:<[email protected]>...

"patrick" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It is not coincidence. My health is pretty ok and 52. Ive found that if I run too much now i get a
>cold directly after. ive had to limit the amount of running. I used to do 5 mile runs sometimes in
>my 20's and 30's never got any colds afterwards. and could do a run every day without problem.
>
>Now if I push myself too much running or try a run every day I get a chest infection for sure. Must
>be lesser resistence to virus.

Exercise does not weaken resistance, nor does it cause colds and infections.

If you're absolutely certain it's not coincidence, then what you think is a chest infection is
actually something else entirely. Shortness of breath and lung congestion can be caused by many
things, some of which are serious. See a doctor.

it is not coincidence for me. Ill ask my doctor sometime. patrick

[email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I'm thinking it sucks to be you everyday. Not just last Friday.

WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?

WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?

YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were
still burning.
"we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every terrorist
group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a coked-up
dopehead running the country".

From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3

YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"

THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!

This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!

To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
"TheBillRodgers" and his clones.

Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.

COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

Could be more of an issue of not recovering properly. Perhaps there are additional stresses in your
life now than when you were in your 20s that inpair recovery. A daily 5 mile run in and of itself
should not impair the immune functions (should strengthen it).

--
Sam, glad to be back after a bit of a hiatus. "patrick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> It is not coincidence. My health is pretty ok and 52. Ive found that if I run too much now i get a
> cold directly after. ive had to limit the amount of running. I used to do 5 mile runs sometimes in
> my 20's and 30's never got any colds afterwards. and could do a run every day without problem.
>
> Now if I push myself too much running or try a run every day I get a
chest
> infection for sure. Must be lesser resistence to virus.
>
> patrick
>
> "Carey Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > [email protected] (Rich) wrote:
> >
> > >Any thoughts (beyond commenting on my stupidity for pushing myself so hard and not preparing
> > >myself better/sooner or staying in better shape throughout the year)? Thanks so much for your
> > >consideration and assistance.
> >
> > Pushing yourself too hard doesn't result in respiratory problems 24+
hours
> > later for a 39 y/o in normal health.
> >
> > Maybe just a cold/flu syndrome that coincidence with your workout, or
> maybe
> > something more significant. No one here can tell you which it is. If
you
> > still feel like ****, seeing a doctor seems like the thing to do.

--
Sam, glad to be back after a bit of a hiatus. "Carey Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> "patrick" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >It is not coincidence. My health is pretty ok and 52. Ive found that if I run too much now i get
> >a cold directly after. ive had to limit the amount of running. I used to do 5 mile runs sometimes
> >in my 20's and 30's never got any
colds
> >afterwards. and could do a run every day without problem.
> >
> >Now if I push myself too much running or try a run every day I get a
chest
> >infection for sure. Must be lesser resistence to virus.
>
> Exercise does not weaken resistance, nor does it cause colds and
infections.

However, too much training (or probably more likely too little recovery) can lead to an impair
immune system function that can allow a virus or bacteria to either take hold in the body or
become worse than it would have. Read the vast overtraining literature for specific reasons why
and instances.

> If you're absolutely certain it's not coincidence, then what you think is
> chest infection is actually something else entirely. Shortness of breath and lung congestion can
> be caused by many things, some of which are serious. See a doctor.

carrie Gregory

> It's rather ironic that a little pus-pocket, like Alan p, would keep knocking his mother and girls
> up and infecting them with aids and smallpoxs but then his mother but not the girls are ****s.

. . .

"Sam" <[email protected]> wrote:

>However, too much training (or probably more likely too little recovery) can lead to an impair
>immune system function that can allow a virus or bacteria to either take hold in the body or become
>worse than it would have. Read the vast overtraining literature for specific reasons why and
>instances.

If he were a world-class athlete pushing himself to the limits maybe I could believe that, but what
he described is normal and reasonable.

Carey Gregory <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >However, too much training (or probably more likely too little recovery) can lead to an impair
> >immune system function that can allow a virus or bacteria to either take hold in the body or
> >become worse than it would have. Read the vast overtraining literature for specific reasons why
> >and instances.
>
> If he were a world-class athlete pushing himself to the limits maybe I could believe that, but
> what he described is normal and reasonable.

The notion that one must be a world class athlete in order to supress one's immune system just
doesn't hold water in the real world. A person only has to exceed his own level of immunity with
levels of stress capable of causing suppression of same You need only look at the high percentage of
runners who come down with illnesses post marathon to realize that anyone can do it to it sometimes.

In the case of the original poster it is doubtful that the short duration of activity could have
resulted in his getting a cold, however, it is possible that the stress of the run, combined with
the stress of having to do well, could have made it difficult for his immune system to handle the
oncoming cold as efficentily as it could have otherwise.

"Bumper" <[email protected]> wrote in message > Carey Gregory
<[email protected]> wrote:
> > "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >However, too much training (or probably more likely too little recovery) can lead to an impair
> > >immune system function that can allow a virus or bacteria to either take hold in the body or
> > >become worse than
it
> > >would have. Read the vast overtraining literature for specific reasons
why
> > >and instances.
> >
> > If he were a world-class athlete pushing himself to the limits maybe I
could
> > believe that, but what he described is normal and reasonable.
>
> The notion that one must be a world class athlete in order to supress one's immune system just
> doesn't hold water in the real world. A person only has to exceed his own level of immunity with
> levels of stress capable of causing suppression of same You need only look at the high percentage
> of runners who come down with illnesses post marathon to realize that anyone can do it to it
> sometimes.
>
> In the case of the original poster it is doubtful that the short duration of activity could have
> resulted in his getting a cold, however, it is possible that the stress of the run, combined with
> the stress of having to do well, could have made it difficult for his immune system to handle the
> oncoming cold as efficentily as it could have otherwise.

I often find I get a cold in the tapering period before a marathon. My joints even feel achy and
everything, although I'm running way less.

cheers,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

<[email protected]> wrote:

> Hello all. I'm not a big runner at all. I've been running a SLOW pace on a treadmill trying to get
> in shape for a couple of months (running 2-ish miles a few times each week).
>
> On Thursday afternoon, I ran a mile and a half for time and pushed myself to my hardest (191 HR
> for last 3 mins ... stupid I know ... but I'm in the military and needed to pass a PT test). When
> I finished my run, I was coughing and hacking a bit (I'm a 39 yr old non-smoker). Coughing got
> worse with the evening/night.
>
> Friday afternoon (24 hours later), it really sucked to be me. Started coughing more ... I
> developed some flem in my chest ... I managed to cough some up last night. I went to bed at 6:15PM
> feeling like **** ... I may have been running a low fever (due to chills).
>
> Now, it's Sat AM and I'm still not feeling too great. Occasional deep coughing ... definite
> congestion still in my lungs ... deep/fast breathing triggers the cough which I can otherwise
> supress.
>
> Any thoughts (beyond commenting on my stupidity for pushing myself so hard and not preparing
> myself better/sooner or staying in better shape throughout the year)? Thanks so much for your
> consideration and assistance.
>
> Regards, Rich (Please don't reply via e-mail ... address is dead)

Rich,

Don't know what the temperature you were running in.

If the air is cold and dry, or if the air was at all smoggy, the irriation is a short run like that
could induce pulmonary edema from the irriation of the lining of your lungs.

Did a mile and a half run years ago at max as part of a Turkey Trot against high school kids at my
alma mater. I had never experienced such bronchial pain due to the level of smog which I didn't
notice at the time.

For the next two or three days I was coughing up phlegm balls.

I didn't have time to read all the other posts and I am surre there's some insightful information
among the group.

The above for me occured without any other kind of long grade infection or anything that was related
to being ill.

My speed and rapid breathing simply scratched the bronchials and my lungs raw.

In a Santa Monica 50 Miler years ago, Joe Burgasser the winner had to sleep sitting up after the
race due to the pulmonary edema caused by the smog irriation to his lungs.

Take care,

Ozzie Gontang Director, San Diego Marathon Clinic, est. 1975 Maintainer - rec.running FAQ http://www.faqs.org/faqs/by-
newsgroup/rec/rec.running.html Mindful Running http://www.mindfulness.com/mr.asp

I see how long ago this was posted, but I'm going to reply. This is absolutely true. It's happened to me on a number of occasions over the years. I've never found someone else to verify it with, but I've had it happen enough to know to predict it once I've let myself push too hard.

Sometimes it can be just a cold. We start exercising even before we know we're sick. It can affect anyone and I'd suggest if it continues to check it out. I've had chest congestion while running before, slowed me down some. It wasn't really that big of a deal, but i'd think that if it continues you should see a doctor. If you do have a cold, I usually drink some tea to feel better. Not saying that you have to slow down, but helping the chest congestion is helpful. If you think slowing down would help, by all means do that.