Hard Tail vs. Full Suspension

Rainier

Guest
I've decided to get back into mountain biking after a six year
sabbatical. I had planned to buy a Stumpjumper Hard Tail, since back in
my day full suspension was in its infancy. But the dealer doesn't even
stock hard tails and claims they're about as current as mullets. He
also claimed 80% of racers now use full suspension. Not sure if this is
true or a bunch of salesman BS.

So what does the ng recommend? I never had any problems w/ hard tails
when I rode in the 90s. The extra weight of FS is a turn-off. I will
primarily be riding in the midwest although I spend a month in Colorado
each summer, so I am thinking a full suspension may be the way to go
for the mountains. I don't plan to ride competetively.

As for bikes, I am currently debating between the editor's choices on
MTBreview.com: a Stumpjumper, a Trek 8500 & a Gary Fisher Big Sur. The
salesman is trying to sell me a Specialized FSR xc comp.

-rainier

It all depends. How much you are going to ride, how passionate you are about
riding and how much are you willing to spend?
Once you have that getting a bike is easy, harddtail or FS.

--
Cory S. 04' Giant VT2
Splat Graphics

news:[email protected]...

Rainier wrote:
> I've decided to get back into mountain biking after a six year
> sabbatical. I had planned to buy a Stumpjumper Hard Tail, since back in
> my day full suspension was in its infancy. But the dealer doesn't even
> stock hard tails and claims they're about as current as mullets. He
> also claimed 80% of racers now use full suspension. Not sure if this is
> true or a bunch of salesman BS.
>
> So what does the ng recommend? I never had any problems w/ hard tails
> when I rode in the 90s. The extra weight of FS is a turn-off. I will
> primarily be riding in the midwest although I spend a month in Colorado
> each summer, so I am thinking a full suspension may be the way to go
> for the mountains. I don't plan to ride competetively.
>
> As for bikes, I am currently debating between the editor's choices on
> MTBreview.com: a Stumpjumper, a Trek 8500 & a Gary Fisher Big Sur. The
> salesman is trying to sell me a Specialized FSR xc comp.

Demo some bikes for real, set up for your weight and riding style. Get
in *at least* 20 minutes on reasonably challenging terrain. Tell the
shop no demo, no $$$. My LBS almost begs you to take bikes out. They
know it gets sales, and this isn't a big city shop (Ha!).

Shawn

P.S. Where in Colorado?

"Rainier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've decided to get back into mountain biking after a six year
> sabbatical. I had planned to buy a Stumpjumper Hard Tail, since back in
> my day full suspension was in its infancy. But the dealer doesn't even
> stock hard tails and claims they're about as current as mullets. He
> also claimed 80% of racers now use full suspension. Not sure if this is
> true or a bunch of salesman BS.
>
> So what does the ng recommend? I never had any problems w/ hard tails
> when I rode in the 90s. The extra weight of FS is a turn-off. I will
> primarily be riding in the midwest although I spend a month in Colorado
> each summer, so I am thinking a full suspension may be the way to go
> for the mountains. I don't plan to ride competetively.
>
> As for bikes, I am currently debating between the editor's choices on
> MTBreview.com: a Stumpjumper, a Trek 8500 & a Gary Fisher Big Sur. The
> salesman is trying to sell me a Specialized FSR xc comp.
>
> -rainier

6 years older, hmmm. Your brain says HT while your back and body might be
screaming for FS. I have both. I like riding the HT for short rides. It
takes me more than a day to recovery if I take the HT on a long ride.

I'm mulling this one over myself. I only have a FS, an old one that
needs replacing soon.

The rear suspension makes it possible to ride trails that were just not
worth it on the hardtail: very rough uphills, paved with baby heads. It
does this by keeping the rear tire on the ground more of the time. In
exchange, it's heavier and requires more maintenance. But my bike has
been very good to me.

I haven't decided yet whether to exchange lighter weight and
responsiveness for comfort, but it's something for you to consider.
Given the kind of trail you're likely to ride most, the FS might not be
worth the expense and weight.

"We should not march into Baghdad. ... Assigning young soldiers to
a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning
them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerilla war, it
could only plunge that part of the world into ever greater
instability." George Bush Sr. in his 1998 book "A World Transformed"

Per Rainier:
>So what does the ng recommend? I never had any problems w/ hard tails
>when I rode in the 90s. The extra weight of FS is a turn-off.

For what it's worth, I've got one of each and I ride both - but keep going
back to the FS.

The hardtail is definately lighter, definately more responsive...and there's an
appeal in simplicity... And I enjoy riding it... but the FS remains my
bread-and-butter bike.

--
PeteCresswell

"Rainier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've decided to get back into mountain biking after a six year
> sabbatical. I had planned to buy a Stumpjumper Hard Tail, since back in
> my day full suspension was in its infancy. But the dealer doesn't even
> stock hard tails and claims they're about as current as mullets. He
> also claimed 80% of racers now use full suspension. Not sure if this is
> true or a bunch of salesman BS.
>
> So what does the ng recommend? I never had any problems w/ hard tails
> when I rode in the 90s. The extra weight of FS is a turn-off. I will
> primarily be riding in the midwest although I spend a month in Colorado
> each summer, so I am thinking a full suspension may be the way to go
> for the mountains. I don't plan to ride competetively.
>
> As for bikes, I am currently debating between the editor's choices on
> MTBreview.com: a Stumpjumper, a Trek 8500 & a Gary Fisher Big Sur. The
> salesman is trying to sell me a Specialized FSR xc comp.
>
> -rainier

I ride my singlespeed more than my FS bike.

"Dean A. Stepper" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Rainier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I've decided to get back into mountain biking after a six year
>> sabbatical. I had planned to buy a Stumpjumper Hard Tail, since back in
>> my day full suspension was in its infancy. But the dealer doesn't even
>> stock hard tails and claims they're about as current as mullets. He
>> also claimed 80% of racers now use full suspension. Not sure if this is
>> true or a bunch of salesman BS.
>>
>> So what does the ng recommend? I never had any problems w/ hard tails
>> when I rode in the 90s. The extra weight of FS is a turn-off. I will
>> primarily be riding in the midwest although I spend a month in Colorado
>> each summer, so I am thinking a full suspension may be the way to go
>> for the mountains. I don't plan to ride competetively.
>>
>> As for bikes, I am currently debating between the editor's choices on
>> MTBreview.com: a Stumpjumper, a Trek 8500 & a Gary Fisher Big Sur. The
>> salesman is trying to sell me a Specialized FSR xc comp.
>>
>> -rainier
>>

> I ride my singlespeed more than my FS bike.

Which do you enjoy better?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

"Dean A. Stepper" wrote in message ...

> I ride my singlespeed more than my FS bike.

Me too, everything from my short occasional commute to endurance races. The FS will get an outing this weekend.

Parbs

Anyone who rides a mountain bike without full suspension is a complete
idiot. I recommend you get a downhill bike from the mid 90's .

cheers

This is interesting because it's never been debated before. It's very
simple. Men like hardtails. Real men go for fully rigid singlespeeds
and them proceed to bomb descents at 40+ mph with them.

I mean come on, how many clean world cup champions do you find riding
full suspension bikes? That should tell you something.

gazzer wrote:
> Anyone who rides a mountain bike without full suspension is a

complete
> idiot. I recommend you get a downhill bike from the mid 90's .
>
> cheers

Back with a venegance, eh G? Goo to see you're still alive and
kicking.

JD

Rainier wrote:
> I've decided to get back into mountain biking after a six year
> sabbatical. I had planned to buy a Stumpjumper Hard Tail, since back

in
> my day full suspension was in its infancy. But the dealer doesn't

even
> stock hard tails and claims they're about as current as mullets.

It sounds like you need to go by a real bike shop because that dealer
is spewing myth and misinformation...there are a lot of mullets out
there. If a dealer doesn't stock hardtails, they are not a good bike
shop. Most good bike shops have a full array of bicycles, including
rigid singlespeeds and yes, even beach cruisers.

> He
> also claimed 80% of racers now use full suspension. Not sure if this

is
> true or a bunch of salesman BS.

Not just salesman BS, but full-on BS. Racing doesn't have anything to
do with mountain biking, other than the racing aspect. Besides that,
most WC XC racers are still on hardtails if I'm not mistaken.

> So what does the ng recommend? I never had any problems w/ hard tails
> when I rode in the 90s. The extra weight of FS is a turn-off. I will
> primarily be riding in the midwest although I spend a month in

Colorado
> each summer, so I am thinking a full suspension may be the way to go
> for the mountains. I don't plan to ride competetively.

I don't ride competitively and have ridden a rigid singlespeed all over
Colorado. I'm currently riding a rigid/geared '99 Team Marin all over
SoCal. Full suspension is a crutch for many and occasional fancy for
few.

> As for bikes, I am currently debating between the editor's choices on
> MTBreview.com: a Stumpjumper, a Trek 8500 & a Gary Fisher Big Sur.

The
> salesman is trying to sell me a Specialized FSR xc comp.

Fuggedabout mtbr's editors. They are just as bad as a magazine because
they make money off of ADVERTISING. This explains why they are
including TWO offerings from trek (yes, the fisher is a trek too). I
wonder why they don't suggest a quality steel hardtail, like a Spot or
even a Soma. Yes kiddies, it's because Spot and Soma don't spend
advertising $$ in mtbr.

JD

Shawn wrote:

> Get in *at least* 20 minutes on reasonably challenging terrain.

Let's put it this way. I asked if I could ride over to the mall next
door and the salesman told me I had to stick to their parking lot, then
recommended I ride over a couple of speed bumps to get a feel for the
full suspension. All in all, not helpful at all but they're the only
shop for a hundred miles.

> P.S. Where in Colorado?

San Juan Mountains. Also the Crested Butte area.

PeteCresswell wrote:

> The hardtail is definately lighter, definately > more

responsive...and there's an
> appeal in simplicity... And I enjoy riding it...

I've decided to go for a hardtail. I'm a road biker so simplicity and
lightweight are major considerations for me.

One of my favorite parts of mtn biking is bolting up hills, which would
be difficult to do with some bulky, 30 pound fs behemoth under me.

-rainier

"Rainier" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Shawn wrote:
>
>> Get in *at least* 20 minutes on reasonably challenging terrain.

> Let's put it this way. I asked if I could ride over to the mall next
> door and the salesman told me I had to stick to their parking lot, then
> recommended I ride over a couple of speed bumps to get a feel for the
> full suspension. All in all, not helpful at all but they're the only
> shop for a hundred miles.
>
>> P.S. Where in Colorado?

> San Juan Mountains. Also the Crested Butte area.

See if they'll rent them to you as demos for half a day or a full day.
Shouldn't run more than $40 for a full day. Really, if you're a serious
customer they should let you take it out for half a day as a free demo, with
some kind of security deposit.

Or, just buy a bike on ebay. If you can't spend at least $1,000, get a
hardtail. If you're under 5'8, get a small. 5'8 to 5'10 or 11, a medium,
over that a large. My bill is in the mail.

CDB you really get what you pay for around here.