Hard Tail

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by ridinslow, Jan 27, 2006.

1. ridinslow

ridinslow New Member

Anybody still riding hardtail frames, I ride a Raliegh M50 and I havent seen another non suspended bike on the trails in along time.

Im keeping mine till the wheels fall off, but Id still like to feel like im not the only one riding int he stone age

Tags:

2. ridinslow

ridinslow New Member

Anybody still riding hardtail frames, I ride a Raliegh M50 and I havent seen another non suspended bike on the trails in along time.

Im keeping mine till the wheels fall off, but Id still like to feel like im not the only one riding int he stone age

3. lumpy

lumpy New Member

I ride an 8 year old Klein hardtail with a non-suspension aluminum fork.

i love it!

4. triguy98

triguy98 New Member

I am currently building a hardtail now. I got sick of all the crap that comes with rear suspension. A day of downhilling on a GF Tass in Winter Park this summer convinced me to do the hardtail.

5. energetix

energetix New Member

I'm currently riding a Specialized Hardrock Comp 2001, but looking to get a duallie at the end of the year.

6. Ice025

Ice025 New Member

I ride an'06 trek 6700. Where I live I see just as many hardtails as I do full suspension bikes out on the trails.

7. mpm

mpm New Member

I bought my first MTB in 1998, it was a hardtail with a rigid fork and 21 speed. In 2003 I replaced this bike by another hardtail with a suspension fork (manitou six) and 24 speeds.

When I must to replace this bike I will buy another hardtail with a better suspension fork (probably with lock out), but I think that I donĀ“t need a rear suspension here.

Are you feeling better now ? :D Best regards.

Marcelo

8. xxguitarist

xxguitarist New Member

i ride a 2000 rockhopper a1 fs comp
    so, it's a hardtail, and i see about 2 full suspension to 1 front suspension bike on the trails around here
    i like the simplicity & direct connection to the ground, even if drops over 2 feet hit hard :)

9. jaz

jaz New Member

I ride hard tail (an 04 Salsa Bandito) & I think I'll replace my Fox RLT80's with a set of Pace RC31 rigid forks as soon as I have a few quid spare.
    Whats more fun, ploughing straight over all the bumps taking the straightest line letting your suspension save you or using your skills to pick the best line & shifting your weight to compensate for the bumps ?
    Probably the first options faster but it's not as much fun, also my bike will be even more light weight without the suspension fork.

10. Archibald

Archibald New Member

05 Jamis Dakota AL hardtail - love it! does all i need it to for XC/dirt crits that i ride.

11. Born2bahick

Born2bahick New Member

I will always have both, they each fill a paticular niche in my riding habits

12. john74

john74 New Member

i ride a giant xtc carbon. hardtails rock.

13. K50

K50 New Member

Hell yeah, I'm still racing a hardtail, let alone riding one. People think that FS is the way to go, but my 2001 Norco rush spanks the pants off of a lot of new bikes I see out there. It was $2100 CDN in 2001, and the only thing not stock on it are the pedals (egg beaters) and rubber (IRC Seracs). There was no reason to change anything on it, it came very well equipped. And this year it got me a 4th place finish in the Provincials race. The wheels are stupidly light compared to my LX disc equipped LX hub/Mavic 317 combo, and the rigid back end never gives up on climbs. I'm only 21, but I was raised on a steel BMX and will probably die with a hardtail in my garage one day. I just can't help but love the feeling on that bike. Hardtails rule!!! (But I wouldn't only own a hardtail....)

14. top_aussie

top_aussie New Member

im riding an 05 Avanti Lightning, great bike, and is a hard tail

15. bubba 02

bubba 02 New Member

Thats all I buy are hardtails. unless you have a bad back or you like lugging that extra weight. Ask yourself -do ya really need it? I have a custom ti- 29er that I would take over any suspened bike--ANYDAY

16. K50

K50 New Member

Yeah, I think 2007 is the year of the 29er... What kind of bike is yours?

17. bubba 02

bubba 02 New Member

I wish I new how to post a picture.. It's a Quiring- A small custom frame builder here in Michigan. He does beautiful work, super high quality titainum, perfect welds and a geometery that is laid out like no other---- check out Quiring cycles.net

18. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

How important is 3-lbs on a XC bike? I am a roadie and 3 lbs is HUGE, especially since I am not that heavy. But I hear guys saying on the trail mountain bikes dont feel as heavy as they are (ie.e full susp. mtb racing XC), but I got to think making a 31 lb mountain bke 27 would be as big as making a 18 lb road bike 14 lbs.

also-a buddy (who doesnt race) says hes way fresher on his full susp bike than when he rides his lighter hardtail because its so easy over bumps. he actually rides his hardtail to get a better workout.

Well-its all for naught as I just bought a Cannondale F5 (hardtail) and of course the best thing is I get to upgrade parts endlessly on this $570 bike!! Just chnaging to a SID Race shock will drop the bike 2.5 lbs!

Ray

19. bubba 02

bubba 02 New Member

On the fatigue factor ,It depends on what terrain your riding on, If your riding on extreme conditions then yes you might need that travel.. I can honestly say that a suspention does'nt make me feel any fresher. I have rode the same mtb trail in two different days- back to back , same conditions, same temps.One day on the hrd tail the next day on susp. Not only was my avg HR higher but my exertion level was higher and my lap time was slower-(both @ race pace) go figure?? I think It's all person preference..

20. K50

K50 New Member

Yeah it really depends on the course. I race my hardtail as much as I can because it's 25lbs and the wheels are stupidly light, but my FS is 27.6lbs and has heavier wheels. It's a lot more sluggish up hills and doesn't respond to sprints as well. I need to pedal much more smoothly at a slower cadence to take full advantage of the rear suspension when going up steep hills and doing big gear sprints.

At the end of the day though, if it's a rough course, the FS wins. Just can't beat the ride and downhill smoothness. I live in the REAL rockies, where it's actually rocky...and riding a hardtail is suicide in those conditions if it's a long race or ride. The fatigue is way higher. My hams really take a beating because they effectively make up for the lack of 3.9" of rear wheel travel.