Hard Tail

I just did a back to back test as well and the FS won the battle. It's 6 lbs heavier than my HT and on the rougher climbs I was actually quicker on the FS. The HT was quicker on the smoother climbs and my HR was just a little lower on the HT. Maybe I'm not quite good enough to get the full benefit from the HT. I definitely felt fresher coming off of the FS.

Actually just got back from the LBS looking at the new light weight FS bikes out there. Hopefully there will be a new addition to the garage soon!

K50 said:
Yeah it really depends on the course ... suicide in those conditions if it's a long race or ride. The fatigue is way higher. My hams really take a beating because they effectively make up for the lack of 3.9" of rear wheel travel.
+1 :)

I ride a Diamondback WCF.2. It is somewhere around 10 years old. It still rides great!
Although I predominantly ride on the road.

I'm riding a 17yo hardtail with cro-mo forks. My wrists take a BEATING on rough downhill sections though. Now I'm torn between fitting suspension forks to it, or just buying a new hartail.

For my budget, any dually would be ****. Would rather a half decent hardtail.

K50 said:
Yeah it really depends on the course. I race my hardtail as much as I can because it's 25lbs and the wheels are stupidly light, but my FS is 27.6lbs and has heavier wheels. It's a lot more sluggish up hills and doesn't respond to sprints as well. I need to pedal much more smoothly at a slower cadence to take full advantage of the rear suspension when going up steep hills and doing big gear sprints.

At the end of the day though, if it's a rough course, the FS wins. Just can't beat the ride and downhill smoothness. I live in the REAL rockies, where it's actually rocky...and riding a hardtail is suicide in those conditions if it's a long race or ride. The fatigue is way higher. My hams really take a beating because they effectively make up for the lack of 3.9" of rear wheel travel.
You bring up and interesting question. I have been racing a FS Specialized Epic (26 lbs) the last 3 years. I am building up a HT for use on some courses next year. The HT should be a hair over 22 lbs when it is complete (is about 23.3 lbs right now but am changing the wheelset soon). What courses do you think would be a target for the FS and what for the HT. I am thinking that hilly courses are good for the HT and flat bumpy courses for the FS. I train mostly on the FS because my 40 year old back requires it.

Thoughts?

I only ride hardtails(well Im going to build a Turner this winter) I raced my hardtail all summer, its hard for me to sacrifice the weight savings I get from riding a hardtail...I'm currently riding an S-WORKS M5, Easton flat bar, Chris king HS, Thomson stem and seat post, with Crossmax wheels and all XTR group, she weighs 22lbs.

Just built up a GT Zaskar re-issue. I was riding a Santa Cruz Bullit and an old Stumpjumper hardtail.
Having ridden both FS and HT I still prefer my HT bikes. But I started out on a GT Avalanche back in the early 90's so it is probably more of what I am used to than anything else.

Everybody has their own style (both technical an aesthetic) and when it comes to stuff like this it is more of preference than anything else I find. Just ride what you enjoy and don't worry about anyone elses ride.

woodchuck said:
You bring up and interesting question. I have been racing a FS Specialized Epic (26 lbs) the last 3 years. I am building up a HT for use on some courses next year. The HT should be a hair over 22 lbs when it is complete (is about 23.3 lbs right now but am changing the wheelset soon). What courses do you think would be a target for the FS and what for the HT. I am thinking that hilly courses are good for the HT and flat bumpy courses for the FS. I train mostly on the FS because my 40 year old back requires it.

Thoughts?
You're absolutely right. The hillier the course, the more advantage the hardtail has. If it's a course with very little climbing, but lots of bumps over rocks or roots, why bother with a hardtail? The FS will soak all that up allowing you to maintain power and a smooth cadence. Hardtails are the king of the mountain for climbing.

So yeah, for the hardtail, use it to its full advantage on courses with lots of climbing.
For the FS bike, use it on flatter courses or courses that are compiled of mostly rough sections.

Yeah, I ride a 99 Rocky Mountain Oxygen Race, it has 5,600km and is still sweet.

I ride a Gary Fisher Marlin. This thing is a beast. I need a big bike and sure as hell fits. Everyone else that rides it has to be at least six feet tall or they have major problems.

I ride a Trek 5800 hardtail. If this gets trashed I'd buy another... Getting close to 10,000 klicks on it and still going strong. My legs are a higher tech version of any rear suspension with a lot less maintenance.

Most of the MTB racers out here in Denmark are using hardtails. There again, it ain't exactly mountainous...