Hardest Interval Session I have ever done

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Gags, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. Gags

    Gags Guest

    Sat night I started the latest cycling trial that I managed to scam onto at
    RMIT. It was a glycogen depletion session in readiness for the session that
    I did this morning. I did a 5 min warmup and then I had to do intervals at
    360W for 2 min followed by 200W recovery for 2 min. This was done on a
    stationary bike hooked up to a digital control console and the deal was that
    I had to keep my cadence above 65 rpm. I managed to go for 2 hours at 360W
    intervals before I couldn't keep my cadence above 65 rpm and then the
    wattage for the intervals was dropped to 320W (recovery stayed at 200W).
    Not sure how long I lasted at each subsequent level but it then went down to
    280W, 240W, then 200W each time that I couldn't stay above 65rpm. I ended
    up finishing after 3hr01min and I was absolutely knackered. This session
    was about the hardest thing I have ever done on a bike!!!

    I was provided food that I had to eat before bed time but I was only allowed
    to drink water between then and this morning's session. This morning I got
    there at 0700h and did a biopsy pre-op (3 incisions on right quad) and then
    I had to get straight into a constant effort at 256W. Initially I felt
    pretty bad and thought I would be lucky to last more than about 10 min.
    Once I started to warm up I felt a bit better and went OK up until about the
    50min mark. From this point I alternated between getting out of the saddle
    and getting my cadence up to about 85 or so and then sitting down and slowly
    dropping back to 70 when I would get out of the saddle again. I ended up
    lasting for 1h11min before I couldn't keep the cadence up and then I had to
    jump straight off the bike and onto a table located behind it for a biopsy.
    I then had 4 hrs of recovery and had to drink some sports drinks and eat
    some sports bars (all in measured doses) that contained certain levels of
    carbs and caffeine. I had another two biopsies and ended up getting home at
    about 2pm.

    They were two interesting sessions and I get to repeat them in a month's
    time.....it will be interesting to see how I do then.

    Gags

    Tags:

  2. Boostland

    Boostland Guest

    "Gags" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sat night I started the latest cycling trial that I managed to scam onto
    > at RMIT. It was a glycogen depletion session in readiness for the session
    > that I did this morning. I did a 5 min warmup and then I had to do
    > intervals at 360W for 2 min followed by 200W recovery for 2 min. This was
    > done on a stationary bike hooked up to a digital control console and the
    > deal was that I had to keep my cadence above 65 rpm. I managed to go for
    > 2 hours at 360W intervals before I couldn't keep my cadence above 65 rpm
    > and then the wattage for the intervals was dropped to 320W (recovery
    > stayed at 200W). Not sure how long I lasted at each subsequent level but
    > it then went down to 280W, 240W, then 200W each time that I couldn't stay
    > above 65rpm. I ended up finishing after 3hr01min and I was absolutely
    > knackered. This session was about the hardest thing I have ever done on a
    > bike!!!
    >
    > I was provided food that I had to eat before bed time but I was only
    > allowed to drink water between then and this morning's session. This
    > morning I got there at 0700h and did a biopsy pre-op (3 incisions on right
    > quad) and then I had to get straight into a constant effort at 256W.
    > Initially I felt pretty bad and thought I would be lucky to last more than
    > about 10 min. Once I started to warm up I felt a bit better and went OK up
    > until about the 50min mark. From this point I alternated between getting
    > out of the saddle and getting my cadence up to about 85 or so and then
    > sitting down and slowly dropping back to 70 when I would get out of the
    > saddle again. I ended up lasting for 1h11min before I couldn't keep the
    > cadence up and then I had to jump straight off the bike and onto a table
    > located behind it for a biopsy. I then had 4 hrs of recovery and had to
    > drink some sports drinks and eat some sports bars (all in measured doses)
    > that contained certain levels of carbs and caffeine. I had another two
    > biopsies and ended up getting home at about 2pm.
    >
    > They were two interesting sessions and I get to repeat them in a month's
    > time.....it will be interesting to see how I do then.
    >
    > Gags

    Wow the things we do for science :p

    Was it for a study of some sort ?

    Or was it to test you to see if your ready for the pro tour ?

    I did a VO2 Max test in 1991 at the Newcastle Uni, it hurt a bit but not as
    much as what you described, I scored 71 VO2 Max with a max HR of 198 ( HR
    monitor was broken so they measured me by hand after I stopped so I don't
    think the max HR was accurate )

    Your test sounds like it was more painful than my A grade club race
    yesterday at Black Hill (51k race + 40k warm up ride) , and backing up today
    with a 51 km handicap off scratch with a 30k ride over a mountain range
    there and 30k ride home ( the ride home hurt the most as the legs did not
    want to push 41 / 21 over that mountain ).

    Here is the warm / cool down up I did today before / after the race ;)
    < http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Speers-Point-to-Mulbring-ride-to-race

    note the distance climbed ;) Total climb: 435m Total descent: 412m, now that
    is a good warm up and a leg burner for the ride home :p

  3. adam85

    adam85 Guest

    "Gags" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Sat night I started the latest cycling trial that I managed to scam onto
    > at RMIT. It was a glycogen depletion session in readiness for the session
    > that I did this morning. I did a 5 min warmup and then I had to do
    > intervals at 360W for 2 min followed by 200W recovery for 2 min. This was
    > done on a stationary bike hooked up to a digital control console and the
    > deal was that I had to keep my cadence above 65 rpm. I managed to go for
    > 2 hours at 360W intervals before I couldn't keep my cadence above 65 rpm
    > and then the wattage for the intervals was dropped to 320W (recovery
    > stayed at 200W). Not sure how long I lasted at each subsequent level but
    > it then went down to 280W, 240W, then 200W each time that I couldn't stay
    > above 65rpm. I ended up finishing after 3hr01min and I was absolutely
    > knackered. This session was about the hardest thing I have ever done on a
    > bike!!!
    >
    > I was provided food that I had to eat before bed time but I was only
    > allowed to drink water between then and this morning's session. This
    > morning I got there at 0700h and did a biopsy pre-op (3 incisions on right
    > quad) and then I had to get straight into a constant effort at 256W.
    > Initially I felt pretty bad and thought I would be lucky to last more than
    > about 10 min. Once I started to warm up I felt a bit better and went OK up
    > until about the 50min mark. From this point I alternated between getting
    > out of the saddle and getting my cadence up to about 85 or so and then
    > sitting down and slowly dropping back to 70 when I would get out of the
    > saddle again. I ended up lasting for 1h11min before I couldn't keep the
    > cadence up and then I had to jump straight off the bike and onto a table
    > located behind it for a biopsy. I then had 4 hrs of recovery and had to
    > drink some sports drinks and eat some sports bars (all in measured doses)
    > that contained certain levels of carbs and caffeine. I had another two
    > biopsies and ended up getting home at about 2pm.
    >
    > They were two interesting sessions and I get to repeat them in a month's
    > time.....it will be interesting to see how I do then.
    >
    > Gags

    Bugger me Gags - that is *tough*. I've just started training with a power
    meter so
    I've got some idea of just how hard that is, and that's without people
    taking chunks
    of muscle out of me!

    Have you seen big improvements out of the training?

    Adam

  4. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2007-06-25, adam85 (aka Bruce)
    > "Gags" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Sat night I started the latest cycling trial that I managed to scam onto
    >> at RMIT. It was a glycogen depletion session in readiness for the session
    >> that I did this morning. I did a 5 min warmup and then I had to do
    >> intervals at 360W for 2 min followed by 200W recovery for 2 min. This was

    >> They were two interesting sessions and I get to repeat them in a month's
    >> time.....it will be interesting to see how I do then.

    > Bugger me Gags - that is *tough*. I've just started training with a power
    > meter so
    > I've got some idea of just how hard that is, and that's without people
    > taking chunks
    > of muscle out of me!
    >
    > Have you seen big improvements out of the training?

    He did, but them some bastard removed his muscle and he's got to start again.

    --
    TimC
    Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers. --unknown

  5. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    What PM are you using? I'm hanging to get a PT, but have to clear the shed first :(

  6. adam85

    adam85 New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2004
    not to hijack Gags thread, but it's a tacx fortius VR trainer. I can't use it on the road though like a powertap,SRM, ergomo etc. It's a fancy trainer that uses a PC to control the resistance via an electric motorbrake, and the front forks fit into a steering sensor.
    http://www.tacxvr.com/

    I needed a good trainer anyway, plus a way of preventing terminal boredom, and this one fits the bill nicely. It's the ultimate computer/bike nerd device :) There are two main modes, animated virtual reality where you ride and steer through a course and you can race against virtual opponents or against any prior saved performance (including your own so you can pace & draft yourself).

    The other mode is real-life DVD footage where the slope determines the resistance. I have 3 DVDs, the marmotte alpine classic which does the telegraphe,galibier & alpe d'heuz, the mortirolo from the giro, and another one which is training with the rabobank squad in majorca, where the resistance is based on the SRM output from Thomas Dekker, Matt hayman and Micheal Boogerd. That one is tough...

    Adam

  7. Gags

    Gags Guest

    "TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]..
    > On 2007-06-25, adam85 (aka Bruce)
    >> Bugger me Gags - that is *tough*. I've just started training with a power
    >> meter so
    >> I've got some idea of just how hard that is, and that's without people
    >> taking chunks
    >> of muscle out of me!
    >>
    >> Have you seen big improvements out of the training?

    > He did, but them some bastard removed his muscle and he's got to start
    > again.
    > --
    > TimC
    > Never trust a man who can count to 1,023 on his fingers. --unknown

    There was no actual training leading up to the trial apart from my normal
    riding.....I am yet to see any improvement from the sessions on the weekend
    as for the last couple of days I have been taking it very easy and spinning
    to work on the road in a really low gear on the mtb. I can usually get into
    work in just under 40 min on the road but for the last couple of days it has
    been closer to 50 min and I have hardly raised a sweat.

    The sessions have made me realise that I can push myself a lot further than
    I thought I could and hopefully I will get motivated enough to include some
    interval sessions in my training program with similar intensity. I am
    starting to lose the "dead leg" feeling now and so hopefully I will be able
    to go a bit harder tomorrow.

    Gags