Hardtail Advice

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Prometheus, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Prometheus

    Prometheus Guest

    Hey all, I'm lookin for some hardtail buying advice.

    I'm in the market for a new bike, I ride mostly bad pavement, some fire roads, and the occasional
    not-too-technical singletrack.

    It appears my choices are Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, and a Cannondale F300 (all
    new). Any recommendations, experiences, or other bikes to look at? I was hoping not to spend more
    than $500.

    thanks, Mike

    Tags:

  2. J'M Sm'Th

    J'M Sm'Th Guest

    Prometheus wrote:

    > Hey all, I'm lookin for some hardtail buying advice.
    >
    > I'm in the market for a new bike, I ride mostly bad pavement, some fire roads, and the occasional
    > not-too-technical singletrack.
    >
    > It appears my choices are Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, and a Cannondale F300 (all
    > new). Any recommendations, experiences, or other bikes to look at? I was hoping not to spend more
    > than $500.
    >
    > thanks, Mike

    Sit on 'em, ride 'em, see what fits best.

    --
    J'm

    To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes. ...-.-

  3. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all, I'm lookin for some hardtail buying advice.
    >
    > I'm in the market for a new bike, I ride mostly bad pavement, some fire roads, and the occasional
    > not-too-technical singletrack.
    >
    > It appears my choices are Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, and a Cannondale F300 (all
    > new). Any recommendations, experiences, or other bikes to look at? I was hoping not to spend more
    > than $500.

    Also check out the Giant Iguana, Kona Blast and Kona Fire Mountain.

    Barry

  4. Prometheus

    Prometheus Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey all, I'm lookin for some hardtail buying advice.
    > >
    > > I'm in the market for a new bike, I ride mostly bad pavement, some fire roads, and the
    > > occasional not-too-technical singletrack.
    > >
    > > It appears my choices are Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, and a Cannondale F300 (all
    > > new). Any recommendations, experiences, or other bikes to look at? I was hoping not to spend
    > > more than $500.
    >
    > Also check out the Giant Iguana, Kona Blast and Kona Fire Mountain.
    >
    > Barry

    I would check out these bikes, but the local Kona dealer tried to rip me off selling me last year's
    blast at this year's price. Maybe I'll try another dealer. -Mike

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hey all, I'm lookin for some hardtail buying advice.
    > > >
    > > > I'm in the market for a new bike, I ride mostly bad pavement, some fire roads, and the
    > > > occasional not-too-technical singletrack.
    > > >
    > > > It appears my choices are Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, and a Cannondale F300
    > > > (all new). Any recommendations, experiences, or other bikes to look at? I was hoping not to
    > > > spend more than $500.
    > >
    > > Also check out the Giant Iguana, Kona Blast and Kona Fire Mountain.
    > >
    > > Barry
    >
    > I would check out these bikes, but the local Kona dealer tried to rip me off selling me last
    > year's blast at this year's price. Maybe I'll try another dealer.

    You have *two* local Kona dealers? Dude!

    Yeah, my local Giant dealer pulls that stuff. They jack up the prices sky-high, waaay above MSRP,
    then "discount" the prices to just above street price. Lame, lame, lame. But if I want a Giant,
    gotta go there or drive 160 miles to the next dealership.

    You need to test ride some Kona's. They're so dialed-in. I'd still have my bee-yoo-tee-full Kona
    Kilauea if I didn't loan it to an [ex] friend who won't give it back!

    Barry

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "B. Sanders" <barry [email protected]> wrote in message news:<I%[email protected]>...
    > "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Also check out the Giant Iguana, Kona Blast and Kona Fire Mountain.

    Why not try everything in your price range and not just what barry bargain suggests.

    > > I would check out these bikes, but the local Kona dealer tried to rip me off selling me last
    > > year's blast at this year's price. Maybe I'll try another dealer.
    >
    > You have *two* local Kona dealers? Dude!

    How lame.

    > Yeah, my local Giant dealer pulls that stuff. They jack up the prices sky-high, waaay above MSRP,
    > then "discount" the prices to just above street price. Lame, lame, lame. But if I want a Giant,
    > gotta go there or drive 160 miles to the next dealership.

    Yeah, barry bargain will burn $40 in gas to save $10.

    > You need to test ride some Kona's. They're so dialed-in. I'd still have my bee-yoo-tee-full Kona
    > Kilauea if I didn't loan it to an [ex] friend who won't give it back!

    So, what you are telling us is that you are too much of a punk to get your crappy kona back?

    JD

  7. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    > "B. Sanders" <barry [email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<I%[email protected]>...
    > > "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...

    > Why not try everything in your price range and not just what barry bargain suggests.
    >
    > > > I would check out these bikes, but the local Kona dealer tried to rip me off selling me last
    > > > year's blast at this year's price. Maybe I'll try another dealer.
    > >
    > > You have *two* local Kona dealers? Dude!
    >
    > How lame.
    >
    > > Yeah, my local Giant dealer pulls that stuff. They jack up the prices sky-high, waaay above
    > > MSRP, then "discount" the prices to just above street price. Lame, lame, lame. But if I want a
    > > Giant, gotta go there or drive 160 miles to the next dealership.
    >
    > Yeah, barry bargain will burn $40 in gas to save $10.
    >
    > > You need to test ride some Kona's. They're so dialed-in. I'd still have my bee-yoo-tee-full Kona
    > > Kilauea if I didn't loan it to an [ex] friend who won't give it back!
    >
    > So, what you are telling us is that you are too much of a punk to get your crappy kona back?
    >
    > JD

    So are you saying this person should break down and get a one off custome OTE Jerry Daniels edition?

  8. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    > "B. Sanders" <barry [email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<I%[email protected]>...
    > > "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...

    Rockhopper,

    > Why not try everything in your price range and not just what barry bargain suggests.

    Why not try bikes *out* of your price range, too? Never hurts to learn what you're paying for (and
    not paying for).

    > > > I would check out these bikes, but the local Kona dealer tried to rip me off selling me last
    > > > year's blast at this year's price. Maybe I'll try another dealer.
    > >
    > > You have *two* local Kona dealers? Dude!
    >
    > How lame.

    Get some bandages on those dragging knuckles after your PBR hangover wears off.

    > > Yeah, my local Giant dealer pulls that stuff. They jack up the prices sky-high, waaay above
    > > MSRP, then "discount" the prices to just above
    street
    > > price. Lame, lame, lame. But if I want a Giant, gotta go there or drive
    160
    > > miles to the next dealership.
    >
    > Yeah, barry bargain will burn $40 in gas to save $10.

    He's just mad because he overpays for everything, and thinks we should congratulate him for
    being a fool. Then he stalks people who have the nerve to disagree with him. He must love
    occupying the killfile.

    > > You need to test ride some Kona's. They're so dialed-in. I'd still have
    my
    > > bee-yoo-tee-full Kona Kilauea if I didn't loan it to an [ex] friend who won't give it back!
    >
    > So, what you are telling us is that you are too much of a punk to get your crappy kona back?

    I live in Illinois. He moved to Wyoming. Should I draw you a map?

    Here comes that wonderful sound you've heard many times before...

    <plonk>

    Good riddance.

  9. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "B. Sanders" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... <snip
    barry bargain pap>
    > Good riddance.

    Balless barry bargain begrudingly begets belittlement.

    JD

  10. Kslater

    Kslater Guest

    I would choose more on the store that provides better support then on the brand of bike. If you get
    something that is not dialed properly that is worse then a bike of lower quality that is dialed
    right. It make a big difference.

    Kyle "Prometheus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all, I'm lookin for some hardtail buying advice.
    >
    > I'm in the market for a new bike, I ride mostly bad pavement, some fire roads, and the occasional
    > not-too-technical singletrack.
    >
    > It appears my choices are Gary Fisher Marlin, Specialized Rockhopper, and a Cannondale F300 (all
    > new). Any recommendations, experiences, or other bikes to look at? I was hoping not to spend more
    > than $500.
    >
    > thanks, Mike

  11. Hosh

    Hosh Guest

    > I would choose more on the store that provides better support then on the brand of bike.

    I would rather buy a better product from a store with poor support, than buy a piece of junk from a
    store with better support. A good product doesn't need support anyway, and you can always take your
    bike to any other place for service.

    > If you get something that is not dialed properly that is worse then a bike of lower quality that
    > is dialed right.

    What the hell is dialed? If you mean "put together properly", I can take my better brand bike
    and have it put together or fine tuned later and have a great bike, your way, you still have a
    piece of junk.