Hardtail Poll

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Rich, May 20, 2003.

  1. Rich

    Rich Guest

    In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock Pro, or Raleigh M80? Both
    are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat (no mountains-just
    hills), and I plan on riding 75% tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of
    around $500.00.

    My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc brakes.

    Help me choose.

    Tags:

  2. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Just got my fiance a HardRock (the blue one) and I am pretty impressed with it, for the money. The
    only thing Id really like to see stepped up is the front ssup fork. Other than that it is a good
    solid bike with good components. A bit heavy, but as you progress you can upgrade! Thats my plan at
    least. "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock
    Pro,
    > or Raleigh M80? Both are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat
    > (no mountains-just hills), and I plan on riding
    75%
    > tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of around $500.00.
    >
    > My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc
    brakes.

    > Help me choose.

  3. Ragdoll

    Ragdoll Guest

    On Tue, 20 May 2003 10:16:08 GMT, "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock Pro, or Raleigh M80? Both
    >are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat (no mountains-just
    >hills), and I plan on riding 75% tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of
    >around $500.00.
    >
    >My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc brakes.
    >
    >Help me choose.

    go for the specialized it fits like a glove

  4. MTBScottie

    MTBScottie Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock Pro, or Raleigh M80? Both
    > are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat (no mountains-just
    > hills), and I plan on riding 75% tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of
    > around $500.00.
    >
    > My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc brakes.
    >
    > Help me choose.

    I just looked over specs on both bikes; that Raleigh isn't spec'd to bad, is it? I noticed that you
    mentioned in your own assesment that the Hard Rock comes with disc brakes; do you know there is a
    version of the M80 with discs too? If you really feel the Specialized is the sturdier of the two
    frames, I'll tell you that having a Deore rear end as the Hard Rock Pro does isn't such a bad thing.
    I had a Deore on one of my bikes and had an LX on another and honestly I feel the Deore shifted as
    well as the LX did. I will tell you that I swear by disc brakes, after using them for a year, but
    considering that you only expect to ride 25% of the time off road, you may be able to save some
    money and forget the discs, unless you are set on them. They are much more powerful, even in the
    mechanical state, and are great for wet conditions. It may come down to riding both and seeing what
    feels better, along with looking at the LBS and how they treat you.

  5. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock
    Pro,
    > or Raleigh M80? Both are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat
    > (no mountains-just hills), and I plan on riding
    75%
    > tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of around $500.00.
    >
    > My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc
    brakes.

    A good fit is the most important factor. I've always liked Specialized geometry, and have heard
    very good things about the Hard Rock. It's a venerable line of bikes that have always offered
    excellent value.

    For your application, all brakes are essentially identical - they will do the job very well. Same
    can probably be said for the drivetrain, rims and frame. Even low-end components nowadays work
    pretty well and are relatively durable.

    Ride 'em both a couple more times and let your gut instinct decide. The one that "feels right" is
    probably the right choice. Make sure to get the seat height and angle, tire pressure and other
    factors dialed-in on the test bike - this will affect your perceptions strongly.

    Barry

  6. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock Pro, or Raleigh M80? Both
    > are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat (no mountains-just
    > hills), and I plan on riding 75% tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of
    > around $500.00.
    >
    > My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc brakes.
    >
    > Help me choose.

    The M80 and swap that flexy POS fork out for a rigid fork.

    JD

  7. Jd

    Jd Guest

    ragdoll <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Tue, 20 May 2003 10:16:08 GMT, "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock Pro, or Raleigh M80? Both
    > >are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat (no mountains-just
    > >hills), and I plan on riding 75% tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of
    > >around $500.00.
    > >
    > >My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc brakes.
    > >
    > >Help me choose.
    > >
    > go for the specialized it fits like a glove

    It may fit you like a glove, but how do you know it would fit Rich the same? Are you his clone or
    long lost evil twin? In the famous words of Bugs Bunny, "What a maroon."

    JD

  8. Rich,

    As you can see from my other posts ("Fat Guy *finally* biking", and others) I am far from an expert.

    I looked at both the M80 and the HardRock. For me, the frame was a key due to my size. The HardRock
    seemed to have a better frame and an overall more solid feel. I can't comment on the shifting or
    other component differences.

    All I can say is that I spoke to a number of people online before purchasing that the Specialized
    came highly recommended. Before I went to the shop though, my overly crazed mind needed a little
    more assurance.

    I work at Dartmouth College in New Hampshire. I sought out some students here who I know are
    *hardcore* bikers (some split road and mtn, others lean one way or the other)... A number of them
    have Specialized bikes and the mtn-ers strongly lobbyed for the HardRock over the M80.

    I like the 'looks' of the M80 better, but I went with the HardRock. I think you'll be happy if you
    go with either, assuming you can't feel a difference riding them.

    Nony mouse

    "Rich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In your "opinion" which is the better bike for me-Specialized Hardrock
    Pro,
    > or Raleigh M80? Both are low end $ hardtail bikes, but I live in an area that is relatively flat
    > (no mountains-just hills), and I plan on riding
    75%
    > tarmac 25% trail. These two bikes are at the same price point of around $500.00.
    >
    > My assessment is : M80-better components. HR-sturdier frame + disc
    brakes.

    > Help me choose.

  9. JD says:

    >The M80 and swap that flexy POS fork out for a rigid fork.

    I would disagree, and recommend the HardRock with a rigid fork (seeing as how that's what I havem,
    and it works good. Fits me too. either way, buy what fits and feels right.

    Steve

  10. TacomaBoy says:

    >Just got my fiance a HardRock (the blue one)

    I assume you mean "faincee"

    ;-)

    Steve no problem either way, just checking.....

  11. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Stephen Baker wrote:

    >>Just got my fiance a HardRock (the blue one)
    >

    > I assume you mean "faincee"

    Are you sure?!

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > bomba says:
    >
    > >> I assume you mean "faincee"
    > >
    > >Are you sure?!
    >
    > "F_I_A_ncee" Sorry!
    >
    > ;-)

    Try 'fiancée' - I should know, being one and all......... heheheheh........ ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun says:
    >
    > >Try 'fiancée' - I should know, being one and all.........
    heheheheh........
    > >',;~}~
    >
    > I think _you_ meant "'fiancé"......
    >
    > Some folks.
    >
    > ;-P
    >
    > Steve

    Nope, I meant ' fiancée ', but forgot to put 'having one and all', instead of 'being one and all'.
    Buggeration.

    Shaun aRe

  14. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Holy crap man! How about "Girl I am engaged to"!!!???

    :p

    > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Shaun says:
    > >
    > > >Try 'fiancée' - I should know, being one and all.........
    > heheheheh........
    > > >',;~}~
    > >
    > > I think _you_ meant "'fiancé"......
    > >
    > > Some folks.
    > >
    > > ;-P
    > >
    > > Steve
    >
    > Nope, I meant ' fiancée ', but forgot to put 'having one and
    all',
    > instead of 'being one and all'. Buggeration.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

  15. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Shaun says:
    > >
    > > >Try 'fiancée' - I should know, being one and all.........
    > heheheheh........
    > > >',;~}~
    > >
    > > I think _you_ meant "'fiancé"......
    > >
    > > Some folks.
    > >
    > > ;-P
    > >
    > > Steve
    >
    > Nope, I meant ' fiancée ', but forgot to put 'having one and all', instead of 'being one and all'.
    > Buggeration.
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    probably the first time I have heard the word fiancee and buggeration in one scentence ;-D

    Jimbo...has a new word for the day...(san)

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    TacomaBoy <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Shaun says:

    > > heheheheh........
    > > >
    > > > I think _you_ meant "'fiancé"......
    > > >
    > > > Some folks.
    > > >
    > > > ;-P
    > > >
    > > > Steve
    > >
    > > Nope, I meant ' fiancée ', but forgot to put 'having one and
    > all',
    > > instead of 'being one and all'. Buggeration.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe

    > Holy crap man! How about "Girl I am engaged to"!!!???
    >
    > :p

    What about her?

    ',;~P

    Shaun aRe - Heheheh..........

  17. Tacomaboy

    Tacomaboy Guest

    Well some say she is engaged to me as well, but that remains to be seen, lol.

  18. Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > Try 'fiancée' - I should know, being one and all.........

    My condolences.

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    jimbo(san) <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Shaun says:

    > > heheheheh........
    > > >
    > > > I think _you_ meant "'fiancé"......
    > > >
    > > > Some folks.
    > > >
    > > > ;-P
    > > >
    > > > Steve
    > >
    > > Nope, I meant ' fiancée ', but forgot to put 'having one and
    all',
    > > instead of 'being one and all'. Buggeration.
    > >
    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > probably the first time I have heard the word fiancee and buggeration in
    one
    > scentence ;-D

    New a guy that was engaged to this lass that was into........well, lets leave it there..........

    Shaun aRe suddenly got the word 'butter' on his mind now for some reason...........

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    ClydesdaleMTB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > Try 'fiancée' - I should know, being one and all.........
    >

    > My condolences.

    For her or me? Heheheh!

    Oh, and:

    What, you hadn't heard John?!? Yup - I'm getting married (posted here about it a while ago), and
    can't wait - no date set yet, but soon is a safe bet ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - Who'da thunk it?!?!?!?