Hardtail to Full Susser

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Calz, Apr 27, 2003.

  1. Calz

    Calz Guest

    I've had a hardtail for nearly 2 years now and loved every minute of it but I'm hankering for a full
    suspension bike now.

    I mainly ride hard and fast cross country single track here in the UK with quite a lot of fast
    downhill but not crazy down hill stuff which obviously means I have to go uphill aswell, been to
    Wales Coed Y Brenin a few times, lapped it up and ride at least once a week.

    My budget is about £2k as I want to make a proper jump from my hardtail, I've been looking at the
    Marin Mount Vison '03 with Hopes, any good? what are the alternatives?

    Any idea what my current bikes worth to sell privately?

    Trek 6500 (yellow) All standard except.. Thudbuster seat post Magura HS33s Panaracer XC Pros FSA
    Headset LX crank, front/rear gears & both Derailiers XT Bottom bracket Stiffy stem Azonic double
    wall bar Club Roost dual compound grips

    Any help greatly appreciated as it's a lot of cash to splash...

    cheers, Steve

    Tags:

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    "Calz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I've had a hardtail for nearly 2 years now and loved every minute of it but I'm hankering for a
    > full suspension bike now.
    >
    > I mainly ride hard and fast cross country single track here in the UK with quite a lot of fast
    > downhill but not crazy down hill stuff which obviously means I have to go uphill aswell, been to
    > Wales Coed Y Brenin a few times, lapped it up and ride at least once a week.
    >
    > My budget is about £2k as I want to make a proper jump from my hardtail, I've been looking at the
    > Marin Mount Vison '03 with Hopes, any good? what are the alternatives?
    >
    > Any idea what my current bikes worth to sell privately?
    >
    > Trek 6500 (yellow) All standard except.. Thudbuster seat post Magura HS33s Panaracer XC Pros FSA
    > Headset LX crank, front/rear gears & both Derailiers XT Bottom bracket Stiffy stem Azonic double
    > wall bar Club Roost dual compound grips
    >

    > Any help greatly appreciated as it's a lot of cash to splash...
    >
    > cheers, Steve

    Marin dealers usually let you have a test bike for a day - and you don't have to clean it! Trouble
    is, it will feel so good that you will want one instantly! Perhaps ride a friend's fancy full sus
    for a bit first to get a comparison? I recently swapped the manitou mars fork on mine (2000) for
    cheap coil 100mm marzocchis and it's much, much better (especially on rough downhill!) The snag with
    swing arms and no chain stays is that any chain jam/suck and the chain hits the front mech which is
    the flimsy top swing type. I get through a lot. I had to wait months for mine after ordering so be
    aware of this if they don't have one in stock. The rear shock bush wears out in about 6 months but
    is reasonably easy and cheap to replace. The main pivot bearing lasted 3 years. Guarantee work was
    honoured without quibbling. The low standover height is great for stuff like scooting through
    snow-drifts! The handlebars were incredibly thin - about 150g! My Hopes are great and easy to
    service but are today's XT's better? Pat.