Hardtail vs. Full Suspension

Hey dan you know my thoughts on this matter I am a full suspension junkie because the effieceny is the same

Just to let you all know i think that full suspension is better because it is more versital and you need to help me convince cyclist14 of that:p

I've had both- unsuspended and now full suspension. I have also ridden hard tails. There is no way in hell I'd ever go back to an unsuspended or even hardtail bike after spending some time on a decent full suspension bike. The amount of control and comfort the suspension provides is well worth any potential reduction in efficiency.

Of course, whatever bike you get should be a quality ride. Don't get a POS full suspension bike at x-mart.

TD

I've never had a hardtail...just seemed illogical...I mean you wouldn't buy a car with no rear suspension would you?
My opinion is hardtails existed because they couldn't make rear suspension work properly. Or they thought they couldn't...I've had two duallies and wouldn't have anything less. With my light weight, the efficiency is a non issue, and even if it was, the cure is simply to use a lockout rear shock for climbing.

I own both, but I like my Trek 7000 ZX hardtail best. I feel that all the energy transfered to the peddles is being converted into foward motion. With the DSB some of the energy is being absorbed by the suspension. If I do need the extra suspension in the rear, I just stand up half way.

I just bought KONA Coiler, it's my first full sus bike and I love the feel of it. Still gonna keep my hardtail though.

Have an 2004 GT i-drive cross country this is my 2nd full suspension after 3 hardtails i don't race but trail riding, downhill trails and pretty much anything else is nice and smooth and I have to ride on paved areas to get to trails so all around full suspension is really, really nice, I do wish it was lighter but it's worth the compromise.

I had a light hardtail, now I have a slightly less light XC-biased FS bike (Scalpel). I much prefer the latter, the traction and control with the rear wheel is much better. Places where the rear end of the hardtail would feel skittish, feels much nicer on the FS bike.

It also inspires confidence, having that extra control.. my hardtail was a chuckable little thing, despite the FS being a little heavier it feels every bit as agile and then some.

And the rear shock can always be locked out to emulate a hardtail when you really need it.. it's not quite as direct a feeling as a 'true' hardtail but it's close.

well.. i have to say i think its all personel preference, anyone who says having one type is stupid and should stfu

anyway i ride an XTC2 hardtail and had ridden ID XC's, NRS's and Epics and i think both full suspension and hardtail have their advantages, i like hardtails mostly cause to me i can move it around easer and chuck the thing around while riding

with he full suspension theyre real good if you get a good efficient setup liek the NRS or ID XC (Epics suck but alot of people seem to rate them on par - BAH!) you can stay seated more and the suspension absorbs everything even though it feels like riding a hardtail.. sortof

as for the weight, i think the weight of bikes is overrated, sure having a light bike is good but the geometry and flexability/stiffness of frames is hugely overlooked in my opinion

You yourself found out how good full suspension is when you road my trek fuel99
You said that it was like riding ona cloud to you.:eek:

i'm riding a klein attitude with a bunch of upgrades. it's very light and nimble. however, i'm 30 now and not overly fond of the beating i take while riding it. i wolud just upgrade to a fuel or epic but i'm not happy about the drubbing i'd take if i tried to sell the stuff i have. i don't think i can get much for the frame. also, i have a set of dave's speed dream wheels that i'm in love with and would hate to dump. they're obviously vbrake rims and i'd likely get a disc full-suspension. so...looks like i'll stick with my klein for a while.